Oxymoron

  • ziggy_se
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2004
      >From: Kevin Brinkofski
      >To: Soren Petersen
      >Subject: Oxymoron

      >How can you be Christian and Anarcho-Communist. These traditions are
      always in >conflict with each other.

      I understand your reaction - an Oxymoron is bound to raise
      questions... However to me the revelation of Christ is about the
      establishment of an Anarcho-Communist reality...
      That the word "Christian" indeed have become an characterization of
      an institution with a history, a set of dogma and beliefs, which
      proclaim another reality than a non-violent anarcho-communist human
      existence is nothing I'll dispute - on the contrary. I choose to
      reclaim the word "Christian"
      Many so-called "Christians" would react as strongly to the apparent
      contradiction with the term communist, as this indeed have become a
      characterization of an institution with a history, a set of dogma and
      beliefs, which proclaim another reality than a non-violent Christ-
      like human existence.
      Nothing I'll dispute either - on the contrary. I choose to reclaim
      the word "Communist".
      The basic similarity is "by each according to ability, to each
      according to need" ---

      >Don't you want to be equal with a man. This ain't happening under
      cristianity. >Patriarchy is the rule.

      I'd like to see where you can find Jesus proclaiming any patriarchy
      and establishment of an hierarchical order between human beings. Even
      though the Bible is an edited version of the revelation (edited by
      men who had a hard time grasping the revolutionary turning-the-world-
      upside-down reality of Christ)I don't find it hard to find Jesus
      proclaiming upheaval of the existing patriarchal and hierarchal order
      in the "world". On the contrary.
      Sometimes just in action - as when Jesus washes the feet of his
      disciples. The Master as Servant.
      At that time women were not to be taught by a rabbi - Jesus had
      several women as disciples, and Mary Magdalene was probably the
      closest (not Peter or John). Does he tell her that she belongs in the
      kitchen - no on the contrary.
      Take all the "beliefs" proclaimed in the name of "Christianity" and
      check them against the simple proclaims that was given by Jesus -
      then you have a true Oxymoron. I'll be the first to state, that the
      more people talk about the Bible, the less they seem to have read it.
      But all through history, you can find people that didn't get lost in
      the "world" - here's a few Anabaptists:

      Hans Denck: Concerning True Love (1527):
      "Love is a spiritual power. The lover desires to be united with the
      beloved. Where love is fulfilled, the lover does not objectify the
      beloved"
      "It is the nature of love never to desire the worst for anyone.
      Rather, love seeks to serve for improvement wherever that is
      possible."
      ... "And if would be possible for a governor to do the same, he might
      also be a Christian in that position. But because the world would not
      tolerate this, a friend of God should not be a ruler. He should leave
      that position if he wants Christ as Lord and Master."

      Peter Waldpot: True Yieldedness and The Christian Community of Goods
      (1577):
      "We may achieve nothing by the temporal. This is why Christ
      said, "Where your treasure is, there is your heart also." For it is
      surely true that were one places his treasure, there he also places
      his soul." "They may say with their mouth that they are ardent, but
      their heart follows after its own good and greed. For that is their
      treasure> One sees this in many who serve and honor temporal, earthly
      things. They would give up their faith before they would leave their
      riches behind. They are really worse than the heathen, for they have
      Christ in their mouth but their heart is set on the money purse. They
      are idol worshippers of the worst sort"

      I definately think it's possible to be an anarcho-communist withouth
      being christian or non-violent, but hardly that it's possible to be a
      chrisitan withouth being anarcho-communist and non-violent

      Soren Groth Petersen
      http://www.freewebs.com/tcfactory/