Soul food

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2004
      Soul food A tiny interchange worth remembering.
        Three children were seated around the table in my kitchen,   two so called 'normal' children and one 'special needs,' very Special Child with a mild form of autism who suffers much.  I cut them slices of home baked bread, which they ate heartily, although habituated to 'junk foods'.
        The Special Child took one bite, then looked up with an amazed expression on her face.
       'Auntie, it's, it's....!  What did you put in this bread?'  I saw that she really wanted to know.  It was important that she identify it correctly to herself.
        'I put love into it sweetheart,'  I replied and the other two snorted.
      But the Special Child, the child who sees spirits and elves and weeps bitterly because her parents do not believe in God, met my eyes with a flash of joy and was satisfied with the truth.
        She ate her bread slowly and reverently as though it were Holy Manna.  Which for her, it was.
      Jan
    • joksu57
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2004
        Dear Jan!

        Thank you for sharing us this lovely episode. You have described "on
        a small scale" something that reminds me from one aspect of
        the "Mystery of the Holy Eucharist". After the Mystery of Golgotha
        the whole Earth was permeated by Christ/Love. In some sense,
        whatever we eat, belongs now to the "Body of Christ". Perhaps we
        should also remember this thruth, when we are nourishing ourselves.
        Then, as in the case of that very Special Child, the
        ordinary "bread" could turn into Holy Manna, into "transcendental
        bread". (Conserning the question about the "daily bread" in Lord's
        Prayer the Latin version says: "panem nostrum SUPERsubstantialem da
        nobis hodie".)

        Joksu

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Jan <starbirdgarden@b...>