Re: [anthroposophy] Near death experience

  • DoctorStarman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2000
      crcjct@... writes:
      >I'm hoping somebody will remember where it was written that there are
      >times when a person is brought to the brink of death for 3 days and 3
      >nights (similar to ancient initiatory ceremonies), then brought back to
      >the land of living for a specific purpose.
      >I read about this a few years ago but have no idea where to begin
      >searching for the passage. I'd appreciate your help and references.
      >Thanks,
      >Janet

      *******Steiner referred to this first, I believe, in his "Christianity As A
      Mystical Fact" in 1902, and then in his lectures on the gospels (especially
      the early ones starting with John in 1908), connecting the 3 1/2 day "temple
      sleep" of ancient Egypt with the initiation of Lazarus and then the
      transformation of the Saviour during the days in the tomb. Somewhere along
      that line of investigation I recall that statement being in the transcripts.
      The significance is it's a half-week or 1/8th a Moon-cycle. This period is
      also the average time for the dissolution of the etheric body after death for
      we human beings in our present era. A separation of the etheric during life
      is a complete change like death if kept up for 3 1/2 days.

      Dr. Starman
    • crcjct@ix.netcom.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2000
        Thank you for the references. I remember the description of the initiate being
        "unconscious" for 3 days and 3 nights. Do you know of any references to people
        today going through a similar ceremony?

        I'm thinking especially of a dear friend who suddenly was taken ill with
        hepititus, double pneumonia and required emergency surgery for revmoval of his
        gall bladder. This man was involved in important work and just turned 70 when the
        illness struck recently. No one thought he would survive this catastrophic turn
        of events and for 3 days and 3 nights he was almost comatose.

        When he awoke after surgery, he felt wonderful, with no pain and renewed focus on
        his work.

        Does this sound familiar to you? I found it very interesting.
        Janet

        DoctorStarman@... wrote:

        > crcjct@... writes:
        > >I'm hoping somebody will remember where it was written that there are
        > >times when a person is brought to the brink of death for 3 days and 3
        > >nights (similar to ancient initiatory ceremonies), then brought back to
        > >the land of living for a specific purpose.
        > >I read about this a few years ago but have no idea where to begin
        > >searching for the passage. I'd appreciate your help and references.
        > >Thanks,
        > >Janet
        >
        > *******Steiner referred to this first, I believe, in his "Christianity As A
        > Mystical Fact" in 1902, and then in his lectures on the gospels (especially
        > the early ones starting with John in 1908), connecting the 3 1/2 day "temple
        > sleep" of ancient Egypt with the initiation of Lazarus and then the
        > transformation of the Saviour during the days in the tomb. Somewhere along
        > that line of investigation I recall that statement being in the transcripts.
        > The significance is it's a half-week or 1/8th a Moon-cycle. This period is
        > also the average time for the dissolution of the etheric body after death for
        > we human beings in our present era. A separation of the etheric during life
        > is a complete change like death if kept up for 3 1/2 days.
        >
        > Dr. Starman

      • elaine upton
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2000
          Dear Janet,

          Thank you for this topic and your questions. Now what i write here (in the
          first part of my response to you) may not be "anthroposophically correct",
          but it is, i think, relevant.--Ok, so part 1): In one of the books of the
          Tibetan Buddhist Lama, Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, he writes of undergoing the
          three day death experience as it is undergone in the Tibetan Buddhist
          tradition. I find this quite an amazing story. Tuesday Lobsang Rampa is
          close to the Dalai Lama, and also had to escape Tibet. He is a man of
          remarkable powers and of great wisdom and compassion. I think the discussion
          of his three day death experience is in the first part of his autobiography
          (which may be out of print, but probably available in a used book store, or
          in a Tibetan buddhist resource center of one kind or another...)

          Part 2: In the lectures on Jesus as an Initiate (various lectures) Rudolf
          Steiner has a lot to say about the three day experience. I believe he also
          says something in connection with Lazarus/John as the first truly Christian
          Initiate, undergoing the death experience, initiated by Jesus, the Christ
          Being. Maybe this is in the Gospel of St. John lectures. It's been a while
          since i have studied those, but maybe the discussion is there. In any case,
          the Gospel of St. John lectures are powerful...
          (by the way, other three day death experiences, before the one of
          Lazarus/John, are said by R.S. to be pre-Christian...)

          Blessings,
          elaine

        • Helen Jenkins
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2000
            >The significance is it's a half-week or 1/8th a Moon-cycle. This period is
            >also the average time for the dissolution of the etheric body after death for
            >we human beings in our present era. A separation of the etheric during life
            >is a complete change like death if kept up for 3 1/2 days.

            I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago about the etheric body taking 72
            hours to separate and she happened to have a very close friend die from
            cancer and was cremated the next day. She asked for my opinion on that and
            whether it affects the soul etc. I certainly don't know but what's
            everyone else's understanding? I know that most cultures adhere to the
            three days before burial or cremation.

            I met a Russian scientist a few weeks ago who explained how a group of
            scientists have been experimenting with placing themselves in a position
            where they die and then being brought back after 3 days.

            Helen