Fire Poltergeists

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2004
      FIRE POLTERGEISTS RESUME
      RAMPAGE IN SICILY

      "Mayor Spinnato is sounding desperate for an answer.
      'Someone wrote to me saying the solution was to sacrifice
      a black goat and collect its blood,' he said, 'At some
      point, that's going to start looking like a good idea.'"
      End quote

      So in looking for a scapegoat people turn to the very black-magic-blood
      magic which was practiced by Alistair Crowley in Klingsor country with the
      torturing and killing of living beings. The appropriate attitude towards
      animals is loving kindness the exemplar and template of which was St
      Francis. Only so may the black magic sign of the goat be reversed.
      The answer and the solution surely lies a lot nearer home, in the human
      being him/herself; perhaps in our passion sullied human blood. Rudolf
      Steiner gave the means for purifying the blood in the Rose Cross Meditation.
      Bradford has written of the burning Roses of George MacDonald's Curdie. If
      the Roses do not burn on the Hearth of the Cross, elemental and magical
      fires may well burn elsewhere and find energy in the electro magnetic field
      fast forming around the earth. Salamanders have a special relationship to
      the animal kingdom, arising out of that kingdom and working with especial
      power for good where love arises between man and animal. When the human 'I'
      works into the blood through such a meditation, burning, cleansing and
      purifying it takes hold of the soul and transforms it through the power of
      the Holy Spirit.
      So that new faculties arose in Curdie when he plunged his hands into the
      fire - an ability to discern true human or fallen animal qualities in those
      he met. When the human 'I' selfishly turns back, circling on itself it
      becomes the Ring of fallen power, used for evil ends.
      It may be that our spiritual faculties are not developed enough to be
      certain of the exact cause of such mysterious fires, but we can make a few
      informed guesses in the light of Anthroposophy and our own experiences.
      Can we, as humanity at large really expect to go rampaging across the
      face of the Earth, the Body of Christ, without the least reverence or
      sensitivity, killing, exploiting and torturing human, animal, plant and
      mineral in our unmitigated greed, sold for a few pieces of silver, selling
      it to Ahriman to do with as he will without a backlash from the elemental
      kingdom who must be working desperately to balance what they can and heal
      what they may without the human being as helpmeet, and where this is not
      possible, externalize what otherwise would burn, consume and scar us on a
      soul level?
      Rudolf Steiner once remarked upon our 'rudeness' to the elemental and
      spiritual beings who surround and live alongside and indeed within us, and
      whom we pass by and ignore as if they were not there. Our rudeness they may
      forgive, as these beings, living in the etheric world anointed and enlivened
      by Christ are mostly by nature forgiving and ever ready to work and
      co-operate with us where possible, even longing for our recognition and good
      will, which would greatly magnify the effectiveness off their activity for
      good. Our despoiling of their environment, not only the physical but more
      importantly the astral and etheric atmosphere which we pollute with our
      desires, passions and lies has consequences that go far beyond their powers
      of kind forgiveness.
      Elementals, pushed down into the sub-ethers, denied their passage to the
      hierarchies through the portal of human consciousness, can turn very nasty.
      They can be made into Orcs, to use what is now a popular terminology.

      Quote from 'Secret Fire - the Spiritual Vision of J R R Tolkien' by
      Stratford Caldecott.
      "Tolkien wrote a letter to his son Christopher in 1944. Referring to the
      news of his son's first solo flight with the RAF, so different from the
      silent skimming of the birds that men dreamed of attaining when they sought
      to fly, he remarks: "There is the tragedy and despair of all machinery laid
      bare." "
      Caldecott continues - "Within the Lord of the Rings, Isengard under the
      wizard Saruman illustrates the 'tragedy and despair' of reliance on
      technology. In the modern world, we have seen the devastating and
      dehumanizing effects of a purely pragmatic approach to nature. The Romantic
      movement, from Blake and Coleridge to Barfield and Tolkien, believed there
      must be an alternative. Goethe even tried to lay the foundations for it: he
      called it a 'science of qualities'. At the end of his wonderful essay 'The
      Abolition of Man', CS Lewis writes of a 'regenerative science' of the future
      that 'would not even do to minerals and vegetables what modern science
      threatens to do to man himself. When it explained, it would not explain
      away. When it spoke of the parts it would remember the whole.......' Lewis
      here echoes Tolkien's concern with technology. He compares Francis Bacon
      with Marlowe's Faustus. For modern science and black magic alike the goal
      was power.....
      The magician's bargain tells us the price of such power over the forces
      of nature: our own souls. For says Lewis 'If man chooses to treat himself as
      raw material, raw material he will be: not raw material to be manipulated,
      as he fondly imagined, by himself, but by mere appetite, that is, mere
      Nature, in the person of his de-humanized Conditioners.'
      The conquest of nature turns out to be our conquest by nature, that is to
      say by our own desires or those of others; and the master becomes, in the
      end, a puppet.
      In letter 131 Tolkien contrasts the 'magic' (technology) of the Elves with
      that of the Enemy: the goal of the former is Art, whereas the aim of the
      latter is 'domination and tyrannous re-forming of Creation'. The devices of
      the elves are benign. They work with the grain of nature, not against it.
      Tolkien is not opposed to technology per se, but to the kind that issues
      from a certain mentality out of control. The desire for power, he writes,
      leads to the machine (or Magic) the use of our talents or devices to
      bulldoze other wills."
      End quote from "Secret Fire" the spiritual vision of JRR Tolkien by
      Stratford Caldecott published by Darton Longman and Todd.

      The author, Caldecott, is a deeply committed Catholic, and writes for
      various Catholic publications, and so has a certain stance or angle,
      (Interestingly he leaves out a passing mention of Dr Steiner in the above
      quote from Lewis) and in my view claims too much of Tolkien for Catholicism,
      but the book does contain much that is of interest when brought into
      relation with an Anthroposophical world view. Lewis could not bring
      reincarnation into relation with Christianity, and rejected Anthroposophy
      and so missed much, although he also saw and knew much out of his own inner
      being. Tolkien, with his repeated childhood dreams of the deluging of
      Atlantis, which he ascribed to a 'racial memory' drew deeply on those very
      past lives in the same way in which he admitted drawing on the early years
      of his present life.

      Quote from Tolkien "One writes such a story (Lord of the Rings) not out of
      the leaves of trees still to be observed, nor by means of botany and
      soil-science; but it grows like a seed in the dark out of the leaf-mould of
      the mind: out of all that has been seen or thought or read, that has long
      been forgotten, descending into the deeps. No doubt there is much selection,
      as with a gardener: what one throws on one's personal compost heap; and my
      mould is evidently made largely of linguistic matter" end quote

      It was also made largely of a deep love of Nature and especially of trees,
      and it is typical of the man that he uses such a wonderful example as the
      Cosmic Compost Heap, with all its alchemical and starry processes and its
      absolutely down to earth richness and necessity.
      As students of anthroposophy, we know that the Earth shall be mechanized
      and die, that the fallen Life Ether will be employed in a dark technology
      that is still in its earliest stages. "Evil," said Rudolf Steiner "Is in its
      infancy" and so is its technology. However an etheric 'elvish' technology
      must also arise so that the Earth may reach its goal and harvest what will
      be transformed into Jupiter. Rudolf Steiner always brings us the means of
      countering, of balancing, of compensating rather than fighting, and so we
      need not fear. Our power as individuals and more especially as associations
      of free individuals is very great.

      Rudolf Steiner - "Are human beings able to help these elemental beings in
      some way or other? That is the great question that was put by the Holy
      Rishis. Are we able to release them? Yes, we can. For the deeds of man on
      earth are nothing but the external expression of spiritual processes.
      Everything we do here is also of importance for the spiritual world. Let us
      consider the following. A man stands in front of a crystal, a lump of gold
      or the like. He looks at it. What happens if a person simply stares, simply
      Looks at some object by means of his physical senses? A continual interplay
      arises between man and the bewitched elemental being. That which is
      bewitched in matter and man are in some way related to one another. Let us
      assume, however, that he merely stares at the object so that he only takes
      in what is impressed upon his eye. Something is continually passing from
      these elementals into man, and it goes on from morning until night. As we
      look out into the world, hosts of elementals, who were, or who are
      continually being bewitched into the processes of densification, are
      continually entering into us from our surroundings.
      Now let us assume that such a person, as he stares at an object, has not
      the slightest inclination to reflect about what he sees, or to let the
      spirit of things live in his soul. He takes the easy road; he goes through
      the world but does not digest his experiences spiritually by means of
      thoughts and feelings. He remains a mere spectator of the physical, material
      world. In that case, the elemental beings enter into him and remain therre.
      They have gained nothing in the world process and have merely transferred
      their seat from the outer world into that of man. But now let us take a man
      who digests his impressions spiritually by thinking about them, and forming
      concepts about the underlying spiritual foundation of the world. That is, a
      man who does not merely stare, but ponders over its nayture, a man who feels
      the beauty of things and ennobles his impressions.
      What does such a man do? As a result of his spiritual activity he
      redeems the elemental being that streams towards him from the outer world,
      thus raising it to its previous state. He releases the elemental being from
      its enchantment. So through our spiritual activity, we can release beings
      who are bewitched and lead them back to their former condition, or we can
      imprison them again in our inner being without any transformation having
      taken place in them.
      Throughout the whole of man's life on earth, elemental beings stream into
      him. It depends on him whether they remain unchanged or whether he releases
      them.
      What happens to elemental beings who have been released by man's activity?
      To begin with, they too, inhabit man. Even those who have been released
      dwell in man until he dies. When a person goes through the gate of death,
      there is a distinction between those elemental beings who merely entered
      into him and have not been led back to the higher elements, and those who,
      through man's activity, have been guided back to their former condition.
      Those who have not been transformed have gained nothing by wandering from
      the outer world into man; others are able to return to their former
      condition after man's death. During life on earth man builds a cross roads
      for elementals......What happens when a man looks at a material object and
      fathoms its true nature so that the elemental being is thereby released?
      Spiritually the reverse course is taken from what occurred formerly.
      Whereas originally smoke arose out of the fire, man now creates fire out of
      smoke spiritually. The fire, however, is only released at his death. We can
      now understand the profound spiritual meaning of ancient rituals of
      sacrifice when considered in the light of the primeval, divine spiritual
      science. Imagine the priest kindling the flame, and the rising smoke, the
      object of the sacrifice, as it is accompanied upwards by prayers. What
      really happened in such sacrifices? The priest stood at the altar where the
      smoke was produced. There, where the solid emerged out of the warmth, a
      spirit was bewitched, but as a man accompanied the process with prayers, the
      spirit went over into him and was released into the supersensible world
      after his death." end quote from The Spiritual Hierarchies and their
      Reflection in the Physical World - lecture 1 12/4/1909

      Working with the various etheric technologies which we have previously
      discussed is more than ever essential, as is the moral healing and lifting
      of the soul which can be effected through the study of Spiritual Science,
      gifted to us for this time of need by the Christian Initiate from the realm
      of the Divine Sophia.
      Go gently, Jan
    • Kevin Dann
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2004
        Dear Danny and Jan,

        Thanks so much for responding to this fiery shot from my puzzled brow
        with fire-filled Enthusiasm -- the God/dess
        within. Dan, you have painted such a beautiful picture of possibilities
        and Jan, you've pointed out particularly the role of the salamanders in
        the warmth realm of the ethers, and of the necessity for human beings to
        approach Nature with respect so as not to further enchant the
        elementals. Rudolf Steiner's remarks about the effect of ritual activity
        make perfect sense, but. . .

        My all-too-literalistic brain craves for some answer to the question of
        WHEN and WHERE about these particularly spectacular episodes of
        elemental rebellion, blow-back, or whatever one might call them-- the
        'smoke signals' to us that we are wreaking havoc in their world. Why did
        that particular house in Vermont or that particular village in Italy
        experience repeated spontaneous eruptions of fire? Why did they happen
        at the particular times they did? Do these 'eruptions' bear a direct and
        discernible relationship to human thoughts or deeds in those geographic
        locales? In seeking to understand benevolent elemental activity -- the
        little gifts of grace that seem to come from out of the blue-- it is
        much easier to find a kind of cause-and-effect linkage between human
        thoughts and deeds and the episodes of blessing, while in these
        malignant episodes, the causal chain is elusive.

        Kevin