suggestion

  • Sarah Cherry
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2000
      [This post is a little late on the thread going last week on the
      Erotic Imagination, however, as you will see from my explanation
      below, I thought it worth sending along despite its being a bit
      "tardy"]

      Almost a year and a half ago on the Steiner98 list (October of 1998
      to be exact) the subject of the celibacy/sex/love was discussed. At
      that time, there was an exceptionally good piece on the context of
      eroticism from a spiritual scientific perspective. The author was
      Emanuel Blosser. He does not subscribe to this list, so I wrote him
      and asked permission to re-post an excerpt. Permission was granted,
      and it follows. I believe the ideas stand on their own. Emanuel
      assures me that he will be checking the archives at "eGroups" and
      will thereby decide whether or not to join the conversation.
      _________________________

      Now sex stands with thinking in our perceptual life in a unique way. As
      thinking appears in our ordinary consciousness it always has its concept
      united with its percept. (unlike these words on this screen where you
      perceive the colored marks and get the concept of their meaning from
      somewhere else) In sexiness, an object, butts, breasts, bananas,
      bicycles, biceps,
      Bare-Naked-Ladies, etc., is always taken out of its "natural" context
      and placed into
      a sexual context. Suggestion is the key to sexiness. Sex is a suggestion
      of a percept not an actual percept. There is one way to look at a leg and it
      is just a leg. Then there is another look and it suggests something far more
      interesting but perceptually it is still the same leg. Sexiness gets added
      to perceptions connecting them to another reality. It is not a conceptual
      reality although we do think and conceptualize our sexual activity. It
      is not a feeling reality although we relate ourselves to it with
      sympathies and antipathies. Rather it is one place in ordinary
      consciousness where the
      soul force of will becomes conscious. "Suggestion" is a force that
      starts movement and "action".