Sorat says: "We worship death..."

  • lightsearcher1
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2004
      The indispensible
      Victor Davis Hanson
      at work...

      (first part of article;
      see link at bottom)

      March 26, 2004

      Anatomy of our Struggle
      Against the Islamicists

      by Victor Davis Hanson

      Across the globe we watch
      the terrible drama play out.
      Car and suicide bombings in
      Baghdad are aimed at American
      aid givers, U.S. peacekeepers, Iraqi civilians, and provisional
      government workers.

      Spanish civilians are indiscriminately murdered — as are Turks,
      Moroccans, Saudis, and Afghans.

      President Musharraf is targeted by assassins. Synagogues are blown
      apart.

      Suicide murderers try to reach a chemical dump in Ashdod in hopes of
      gassing Jews to the pleasure of much of the Arab world and the
      indifference of Europe.

      Indeed, Palestinian murderers apologize for gunning down an Arab
      jogger in Jerusalem — for the colossal mistake of thinking that he
      was Jewish. The world yawns, but is then outraged because Israelis
      take out a mass-murderer during a time of war.

      We are witnessing a grand struggle between those who create things
      and those who can only destroy them, between those who are confident
      and build civilizations and those who have failed and turned vicious.

      Daniel Pearl is executed on television.

      The U.N. is singled out as a target for mass murder in Iraq, as are
      synagogues in Istanbul.

      Again, we in the West are supposed to tremble at the devilishness of
      the jihadists or turn on each other in fear.

      "We worship death,
      you cling to life,"
      they warn us.

      Al Qaeda's message to Europe — which they hate even more than the
      United States, because it is not only wealthy but soft and weak as
      well — is that of every mythical monster who promises his trembling
      prey that with proper flattery he can be gobbled down last.

      We should remember that this war of barbarism against civilization
      is global and connected.

      Poor Mr. Villepin may ignore that his country's appeasement and
      profit-making in Iraq were helpful to Saddam Hussein's state-
      sponsored terrorism and he may believe that things are worse in
      Baghdad now.

      But he will learn that past French double-dealing, flamboyant anti-
      Americanism, and obsequiousness to Iranian theocrats will win him no
      reprieve from these purveyors of a new Dark Age.

      The extremists will be just as likely to murder French children over
      banning headscarves as they would have had three Gallic divisions
      fought in Iraq.

      The Spanish may think that bin Laden's past fury over the
      Reconquista and the Crusades was silly while the present anger over
      Spaniards in Iraq is logical.

      But they too will soon learn that appeasement wins them temporary
      quiet from enemies and general disappointment from friends — not a
      permanent pardon from terrorist attacks.

      If they believe al Qaeda is a rational interlocutor, they should
      assume that the U.S. withdrawal from Saudi Arabia and cessation of
      the embargo of Iraq — replaced by massive American aid — have met
      bin Laden's original 1998 demands and that peace is at hand.

      What is our enemies' ultimate agenda? -- Judge them by what they say
      and then do:

      -- Any who champion women are targeted.

      -- Those who are Jews should die.

      -- Expressing tolerance for other religions is a capital crime.

      -- Secular law and government are a betrayal.

      -- Apostasy from Islam justifies murder.

      Hypocrisy does not matter — whether that means using a hated Western
      computer or flocking to a despised Western capital.

      This craziness is actually an agenda of sorts, proclaiming to the
      wretched, "Purge yourself of the modern West (sort of) and fool
      yourself into thinking that you will have power, honor, and wealth
      as never before."

      We laugh about such a formerly pampered playboy lunatic and his
      puerile calls for a return of an 11th-century caliphate, replete
      with a paradise of 72 virgins and hack medieval poeticisms like "O
      this, O that," "God willing," and "infidel" in all his court
      communiqués. But such fantasies out of the Arabian Nights are
      perhaps not so fantastic.

      In al Qaeda's utopia a loose confederation of Islamic theocracies —
      on the model of the Taliban or Iran's mullocracy — will sweep the
      Middle East, liquidating Westerners and those Muslims tainted by
      Westernization. Oil will not only enrich a theocratic elite — note
      the pampered privileges of Taliban insiders and the spoiled progeny
      of Iranian clerics — but can be manipulated to gouge a petroleum-
      hungry West while paying for plentiful weaponry from cynical Western
      arms dealers.

      When terrorists are rounded up now in Spain or the United States or
      deported to Britain, they deny rather than brag of their erstwhile
      Afghan training, and plead that they are either innocent or were
      misled.

      None throw down the gauntlet and bore us with the old long
      harangues — a la Richard Reed — about the imminent death of the West.

      While Ted Kennedy and John Kerry pontificate about losing the war on
      terror, al Qaeda is nearly finished.

      What we have been seeing lately are its tentacles flapping about in
      search of prey, after the head has been smashed — still for a time
      lethal, but without lasting strength.

      We should remember that perhaps the bloodiest month for Americans in
      the European theater of World War II was not during 1943 and 1944
      amid the invasions of North Africa, Sicily, Italy, or Normandy, but
      rather in January 1945, a mere five months before the close of the
      war, when GIs fought back the last bitter German offensive.

      . . . . . . . . . . .

      See whole article at:

      http://www.victorhanson.com/Articles/NRO%
      20Index/We_are_finishing_the_war.html
    • Br. Ron
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2004

        Careful LS

        Your post is liable to anger them anti-American, pro Al Qaeda folk.

        Never mind...they are not Anthroposophists...
        (hell, they aint even "Christians")

        One thing they do all share in common....Anger.

        (Hey..I wonder if we could harness that rage for productive use...
        like maybe steam powered, bicycle driven generators to help solve the
        energy crises!  Yeah!

        Always looking for solutions.

        Br. Ron