Re: [anthroposophy] Re: "Nature so Motherly to Me"

  • Adrian Hansen
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 11, 2004
      Go Derek!

      --- derek19282000 <derek19282000@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      In Rudolf Steiner's "How To Know Higher Worlds" (
      translated by
      Christopher Bamford,1994) , Chapter 5: "Requirements
      For Esoteric
      Training", Steiner enumerates seven requirements. The
      second
      requirement ( p99) is that "we feel ourselves involved
      in the whole
      of life," he goes on to say it is then but a small
      step to the
      insight that, as a member or organ of humanity as a
      whole, I am
      jointly responsible with all human beings, for
      everything that
      happens. THIS INSIGHT SHOULD NOT ,OF COURSE, BE
      IMMEDIATELY
      TRANSLATED INTO POLITICAL AGITATION IN THE WORLD. It
      should be
      calmly cultivated within the soul. In this way it will
      gradually
      come to expression in my outer actions. Indeed in such
      matters, we
      can begin only by reforming ourselves. To make general
      demands for
      social and political reform on the basis of such
      insights is
      fruitless. It is easy to say how other people should
      be, but
      students of esoteric knowledge must work in the depths
      and not on
      the surface. It would therefore be quite wrong to
      connect the
      demands of esoteric schooling with any demands for
      reform or even
      political change. The education of the spirit has
      nothing to do with
      such things. Political activists generally know what
      to ask of other
      people, but they hardly ever talk about asking
      anything of
      themselves."
      I interpreted your posting in this light. I may be
      wrong and am
      prepared to withstand polite correction in the spirit
      of brotherly
      love. I may have misinterpreted Steiner-or indeed,
      Steiner may be
      wrong! But I do not deserve "character assassination!

      The irony is that I agree with you about GM! And I am
      a member
      of "Scientists for Global REsponsibilitty" and "the
      Soil
      Association" {These are British organisations and may
      not be well
      known on this site, but no doubt there are American
      equivalents).But
      I visit an Anthroposical Group for instruction in
      spiritual matters
      and have my own sources for political debate.

      Terms of Service.

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
    • Hogie McM
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 11, 2004
        Derek:
        Im sure you are aware that Dr. Steiner, in addition to his inner work and
        initial requirements for building up character, entered social life wholly and directly, and spent much energy,
        with Walter Johannes Stein as ultimate courier, in trying to inculcate his model
        of the 3-fold social order, politically, directly into real-time social-political change during his lifetime,
        direct to personalities in the government that could have potentially made a change.

        Im not sure I'd call it Political Agitation, as Anthroposophy is not meant to be agitated
        to the world, but economical and political change directly into the physical world,
        definitely a yes.

        Hogie