The end of Philosophy?

  • Mike Helsher
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2004
      Hi Maurice, you wrote:
      <snip> McGinn finds this relevant to what he calls Metaphilosophy, the
      > philosophy beyond philosophy or philosophy of philosophy. I ask what is
      > the love of knowledge for the love of knowledge? The pure willingness to
      > understand - Christ as Anthropo-sophia, human wisdom. He say
      > metaphilosophy is the most neglected and difficult aspect in all
      > philosophy.
      >
      > Maurice.

      Mike:
      I don't know anything about McGinn, but the idea you are expressing is very
      interesting to me. I spent a rather intense week with Dennis Kloeck this
      past summer; he built up to a statement: "Steiner's Philosophy of Freedom
      marks the beginning of the *END* of philosophy. He also equated this with
      the problem of percieving the " *I* of the Other." This I think relates to
      your statement "The pure willingness to understand - Christ as
      Anthropo-sophia, human wisdom."

      I hope not to neglect this idea.

      Truth and Love

      Mike Helsher
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2004
        http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=37&ItemID=5085

        When, in October 1957, the USSR launched the first man-made earth
        satellite, the basketball-sized Sputnik, it caught the United States
        off guard and sent the government into fits. Not only had the Soviets
        exploded an atomic bomb years before the Americans predicted they
        would, but now they were leading the "space race." In response, the
        Defense Department approved funding for a new U.S. satellite project,
        headed by former Nazi SS officer Wernher von Braun, and created, in
        1958, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to make
        certain that the United States forever after maintained "a lead in
        applying state-of-the-art technology for military capabilities and to
        prevent technological surprise from her adversaries."

        Almost half a century later, what's left of the USSR is a collapsed
        group of half-failed states, while the U.S. stands alone as the
        globe's sole hyperpower. Yet DARPA, the agency for an arms-race
        world, seems only to be warming up to the chase. There may be no
        country left to take the lead from us, the nearest military
        competitor being China which reportedly had $65 billion in military
        expenditures in 2002 (compared to our $466 billion according to
        GlobalSecurity.org) and which, only in 2003, put its
        first "Taikonaut" into outer space. Undaunted, DARPA continues to
        develop high-tech weapons systems for 2025-2050 and beyond – some of
        them standard fare like your run-of-the-mill. hypersonic bombers,
        others more exotic.

        In an August 2003 article, Los Angeles Times reporter Charles Pillar
        noted that DARPA has put forth some of the "most boneheaded ideas
        ever to spring from the government" -- including a "mechanical
        elephant" that never made it into the jungles of Vietnam and
        telepathy research that never quite afforded the U.S. the ability to
        engage in psychic spying.

        As former DARPA Director Charles Herzfeld noted in 1975, "When we
        fail, we fail big." Little has changed. According to DARPA's current
        chief, some 85%-90% of its projects fail to meet their full
        objectives. Still, Piller points out, DARPA "has been behind some of
        the world's most revolutionary inventions" -- "the Internet, the
        global positioning system, stealth technology and the computer
        mouse."

        DARPA's spectacular failure rate and noteworthy successes stem from
        its high risk ventures. For years DARPA has funded extremely
        unconventional, sometimes beyond-the-pale, avant-garde research in
        all realms of science and technology. It is, perhaps, the most
        creative place in our vast government for a scientist who wants to
        stretch his or her mind in adventurous directions and be well paid to
        do so. If you have a wild idea, DARPA's the place to try it out. Said
        Harvard University pathologist Donald Ingber in a 2001 Los Angeles
        Times article, "DARPA [has] funded things that a lot of people
        thought were ridiculous, and some that people thought were
        impossible. They make things happen."

        There's only one caveat -- in one way or another most every project,
        however mind-stretching, invariably must end, directly or indirectly,
        in the incapacitation or death of future American enemies.

        The projects are often some of the most lethal ever conceived. Over
        the years, DARPA research has led to a plethora of products designed
        to maim and kill, among them the: M-16 rifle, Hellfire-missile-
        equipped Predator drones, stealth fighters and bombers, surface-to-
        surface artillery rocket systems, Tomahawk cruise missiles, B-52
        bomber upgrades, Titan missiles, Javelin portable "fire and forget"
        guided missiles and cannon-launched Copperhead guided projectiles, to
        name but a few.

        A question seldom asked is why pie-in-the-sky creativity exists
        unfettered and fostered only in the context of lethal technologies?
        As the U.S. continues its mad dash into a post-Cold War, one-nation
        arms race, fears of a missile gap or the menace of a technologically
        advanced foreign foe drop away as explanations; nor can it just be a
        generalized fear of falling behind the rest of the world. Look at the
        state of education in America -- in 2002 the U.S. ranked 18th in
        UNICEF's list of teenagers in 24 industrialized countries falling
        below international academic benchmarks. Despite the poor showing, no
        one is rushing to set up an Advanced Education Research Agency.
        According to the CIA's annually-published World Factbook, "the US is
        the largest single emitter of carbon dioxide from the burning of
        fossil fuels," yet the Environmental Protection Agency's "National
        Center for Environmental Innovation" is a far cry from a DARPA-like
        entity. It doled out a mere $737,500 in seven state-innovation grants
        in 2003. DARPA, by comparison, spent about $3 billion on some 200
        projects that ranged from space weapons to unmanned aerial vehicles.

        But just because the government isn't pouring money into the projects
        of scientists eager to attack environmental problems doesn't mean
        environmental research is of no interest to it. Quite the opposite.
        DARPA has taken up the torch and is funding a rigorous research
        program aimed at finding novel ways to weaponize the natural world.
        As evidenced by their Vietnam-era mechanical elephant project and a
        recent grant to researchers developing a robotic canine called "Big
        Dog" for the Army, DARPA might be said to have something of an animal
        fetish, reflected perhaps in various projects whose very names evoke
        the ethos of the wild kingdom. Among them:

        WolfPack, a group (pack) of miniaturized, unattended ground sensors
        that are meant to work together in detecting, identifying and jamming
        enemy communications; Piranha, a project to "enable submarines to
        engage elusive maneuvering land and sea targets"; and Hummingbird
        Warrior, a program to produce a helicopter-like vertical take-off and
        landing unmanned air vehicle (UAV).

        The agency also embraces the imagery of the natural environment in
        its "Organic Air Vehicles in the Trees" project, which sounds
        downright "green," though it's actually a tiny UAV that will fly in
        the forests, over hills and through cities searching for enemies.
        Allusions to the natural world, however, are the least of it. While
        the military is well-versed in employing all sorts of creatures to do
        its bidding, from Army guard dogs to Navy dolphins used for locating
        sea mines, DARPA is keen on branching out from class Mammalia. One
        way is through its "Bio-Revolution" program which seeks to "harness
        the insights and power of biology to make U.S. warfighters and their
        equipment... more effective."

        Willard and His Wild Pals

        Killer Bees

        After all those years of warnings about sinister African killer bees
        inexorably heading toward the U.S., DARPA decided to draft bees into
        military service. In 2002, projects examining the performance of
        honeybees trained to detect explosives and locate other "odors of
        interest" were launched. Since then, DARPA has been creating insect
        databases while increasing efforts to "understand how to use endemic
        insects as collectors of environmental information." DARPA says it
        has already tested "this endemic insect system in key operational
        demonstrations here and abroad." How long until they start thinking
        about weaponizing insects as well? Instead of your plain old, garden
        variety Stinger missiles, you could have a swarm of missile stingers.

        Fly Boys

        At the University of Florida, DARPA-sponsored researchers are working
        on biologically-inspired "eyes," patterned after those of flies. "We
        think we can use this concept to make smart weapons smarter," says
        professor of materials science and engineering Paul Holloway, the
        project's lead researcher. It's a safe bet that a new set of eyes
        would help, since the current crop of smart weapons couldn't get much
        dumber! Despite the pronouncements of U.S. Navy Vice Admiral Timothy
        Keating who, on the eve of the invasion of Iraq, bragged of a
        military "plan that... reduces to an absolute minimum, if not
        eliminates, noncombatant casualties," nothing proved further from the
        case. While 68% of munitions used in Operation Iraqi Freedom were
        precision-guided, as opposed to only 6.5% in the 1991 Gulf War, the
        ratio of civilian to military deaths turned out to be almost twice as
        high this time around, according to Carol Conetta of the
        Massachusetts-based think-tank, Project on Defense Alternatives. Are
        fly eyes the answer? Perhaps... at least until some rogue state
        develops a fly-paper missile defense shield.

        Little Shop of Horrors

        In July 2003, DARPA held a workshop to "help researchers in various
        disciplines self-assemble into teams capable of developing plant
        inspired actuation systems that will ultimately have application in
        military adaptive or morphing structures." What's on the horizon
        then? Giant Venus Fly-trap-inspired fighting vehicles? A brigade of
        Swamp-Thing warriors?

        (Octo)Pie in the sky camouflage

        According to the agency's 2003 strategic plan, "DARPA-supported
        researchers are studying how geckos climb walls and how an octopus
        hides to find new approaches to locomotion and highly adaptive
        camouflage. The idea is to let nature be a guide toward better
        engineering." Imagine the ink-squirting, suction-cup-covered frogman
        of the future!

        Remote-Control Robo-Rats

        In 2002, DARPA researchers demonstrated that they could remotely
        control the movements of a rat with electrodes implanted into its
        brain using a laptop computer. In 2003 and 2004, DARPA's "Robolife"
        program researchers will turn their attention to the "performance of
        rats, birds and insects in performing missions of interest to DoD,
        such as exploration of caves or covert deposition of sensors."
        Militarizing the animal world, however, carries its own risks. Take
        World War II's Project X-Ray in which bats with incendiary explosives
        strapped to their bodies turned on their military masters and set
        fire to an U.S. Army airfield. Just imagine what an army of Army rats
        might do! Anybody remember Willard?

        The Wildest of Apes

        When Captain America throws his mighty shield...
        Perhaps the most frightening of DARPA's weaponized science projects
        are those that deal with militarily enhancing that most violent of
        apes -- man. In its 2003 strategic plan, DARPA touted the "Enhanced
        Human Performance" component of its "Bio-Revolution" program whose
        aim is to prevent humans from "becoming the weakest link in the U.S.
        military." Lest rats, bees and trees become the dominant warriors,
        Enhanced Human Performance will "exploit the life sciences to make
        the individual warfighter stronger, more alert, more endurant, and
        better able to heal." Yes, what now captivates DARPA researchers once
        captivated comic-book readers -- the dream of creating a real-life
        Captain America, that weakling-turned-Axis-smashing-super-patriot by
        way of "super soldier serum."

        Just Say "No" to No Doze, but "Yes" to Endless Combat

        The U.S. military has long plied its fighting men with uppers. In
        Vietnam, medics sated soldiers' need for speed by doling out
        government-issue amphetamines. In 2002, U.S. pilots under the
        influence of Air Force "go-pills" (which Air Force spokeswoman Lt.
        Jennifer Ferrau calls a "fatigue management tool") killed four
        Canadian soldiers and injured eight others when they dropped a laser-
        guided bomb on a Canadian military training exercise in Afghanistan.
        Today, DARPA's Continuous Assisted Performance (CAP) program is aimed
        at creating a 24-7 trooper by "investigating ways to prevent fatigue
        and enable soldiers to stay awake, alert, and effective for up to
        seven days straight without suffering any deleterious mental or
        physical effects and without using any of the current generation of
        stimulants."

        This is your brain on DARPA... any questions?

        DARPA researchers are also at work on the "Brain Machine Interface"
        ("neuromics") project, designed as a mind/machine interface, allowing
        mechanical devices to be controlled via thought-power. Thus far,
        researchers have taught a monkey to move a computer mouse and a
        telerobotic arm simply by thinking about it. With arrays of up to 96
        electrodes implanted in their brains, the animals are able to reach
        for food with a robotic arm. Researchers even transmitted the signals
        over the internet, allowing remote control of an robotic arm 600
        miles away. In the future they hope to develop a "non-invasive
        interface" for human use. Says DARPA, "The long-term Defense
        implications of finding ways to turn thoughts into acts, if it can be
        developed, are enormous: imagine U.S. warfighters that only need use
        the power of their thoughts to do things at great distances." For
        years, the U.S. military has been improving its ability to reach out
        and kill someone. What's the mantra of the future? Maybe, if you
        think it, they will die.

        Life (and Death) Sciences

        Leonard J. Buckley, a program manager in materials chemistry at
        DARPA's Defense Science Office, has said, in regard to insect-
        inspired optics research, "Inspiration from nature... will allow more
        life-like qualities in the system." And, says DARPA spokeswoman Jan
        Walker, "We're interested in investigating biological organisms
        because they have evolved over many, many years to be particularly
        good at surviving in the environment. ...and we hope to learn from
        some of those strategies that Mother Nature has developed."
        Poor Mother Nature! What hope has she when faced with an over $400
        billion dollar defense budget. What can she do when the most powerful
        impetus for free-thinking scientists to consider her is in the urge
        to weaponize her offspring. Under DARPA, the life sciences have
        become a fertile area to further the science of death and destruction
        in an effort, in the words of the DARPA Defense Sciences Office, to
        overcome the "Frailties of Life" to achieve "Super Physiological
        Performance." How wonderfully Nietzschean!

        Such is the state of government-sponsored innovation in our land. If
        you're a researcher in crucial fields and want the time, funding, and
        latitude to be creative, your work must benefit the Pentagon in its
        race to make sure that the next Saddam can be, in the words of Maj.
        Gen. Raymond Odierno, "caught like a rat" by Capt. Ben Willard of the
        Army's rat patrol.

        Other than finding new ways of circumventing international law (e.g.
        bypassing violations of national airspace with space-launched
        weapons) which the U.S. already does quite well with current
        technology or the mountain climber's mantra "because its there," it's
        hard to fathom why the government is still locked in a Cold War-style
        arms race in a single hyperpower world. The only explanation
        available lies in the driving will of the ever-expanding military-
        industrial complex, first named by President Eisenhower back in 1961.
        This would certainly help explain why we have no educational or
        environmental DARPAs. For today's researchers, DARPA is, both
        intellectually and financially, a fabulous and alluring gravy train,
        the only agency that puts real money into and rewards creative and
        maverick thinking. The freedom to dream and create, DARPA's mandate,
        is seductive and exceptional and, as such, so dangerous that we have
        to ask ourselves whether war-making isn't now America's most advanced
        product.

        Have a hankering to check out some websites dealing with the birds
        and the bees? Well, those are easy enough to find on your own. I'm
        talking about the birds and the bees, DARPA-style! If you think
        you're wild enough to see the Hummingbird Warrior, click here! Want
        to know just who is drafting bees into military service (and "exploit
        [ing] the capabilities of biological systems")? Then click here. Does
        the mere mention of a "hybrid brain-machine interface" leave you
        wanting to move robotic arms toward the refrigerator? Read up on it
        by clicking here. Or do you think the weaponization of the wild
        kingdom is just plain batty? If so, click here and scroll down
        to "Bat Bomb--Project X-Ray" where you can view of photo of that
        bats' handiwork --a flaming army barracks-- sure to inspire a Fox
        special, titled: "When Animals Attack the U.S. Military!"

        Nicholas Turse is doctoral candidate at the Center for the History &
        Ethics of Public Health in the Mailman School of Public Health at
        Columbia University.

        Copyright C2004 Nicholas Turse
      • derek19282000
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2004
          <holderlin66@h...> wrote:
          > http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?
          SectionID=37&ItemID=5085

          > When, in October 1957, the USSR launched the first man-made earth
          > satellite, the basketball-sized Sputnik, it caught the United
          States
          > off guard and sent the government into fits.
          ETC. ETC....

          WHAT HAS ALL THIS TO DO WITH ANTHROPOSOPHY?
        • Maurice McCarthy
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
            Mike

            Yes, having spawned all the sciences, Philosophy itself shows the door
            back to the spiritual worlds thereby reaching its ultimate purpose. When
            perception begins to turn relational (in the same way that thoughts
            connect) then the less do we think abstractly but literally see the
            truth.

            Maurice

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2004
              "derek19282000"

              WHAT HAS ALL THIS TO DO WITH ANTHROPOSOPHY?

              Derek, don't make me answer you. For what kind of lame blame lunk
              would place this as a question? Have you been hiding in some
              underground bunker or is there some vacancy sign on your beard that
              I failed to read?

              With the enormous contributions Maurice and Danny and others have
              made to this list, you better have good reason for your dumbfounded
              response. Because anyone here can connect dots and have been trained
              in thinking enough to see clearly and understand the range of
              misapplications of human spirit that are growing to monster again,
              around us.

              We could pick anyone of the items and I have a back log that are
              even deadlier and I know Jan and Joksu have a pack full as well and
              they all have everything to do with Anthroposophy. So if your middle
              name is Rip Van Wrinkle...please.. snore first if you are about to
              wake up and if you still can't understand why your eyes happen to be
              open, go back into some of the history of this list and rip open
              insights we have covered already.

              Otherwise, don't even hint at the idea that you wonder if this has
              anything to do with Anthroposophy, because I am not in a
              particularly generous mood, to hold your hand, step by step and one
              thing at a time. But if you have a single specific issue, of those
              listed that you might want to explore.. Ask specifically because the
              very nature of the term... Nature so Motherly to me, came from the
              Soul Calendar. Which in every detail is opposite to the Ahrimanic
              forces offered and the money offered to dig humanity deeper into the
              negative.. the -minus-Michael.

              But for the family of heavy slumbering Wrinkles, in case you haven't
              noticed, Ahriman is in the house and we like to keep an eye on him.
              But I fear this is all part of some burp that you had as you
              wandered into a room full of quiet readers and said, (besides
              belching loudly)

              "Is anyone going to turn off that damned alarm or what?" You turn
              it off if you think your so wide awake and you think you know how.
              The rest of us haven't slept a wink Rip but at least we are aware of
              how it fits with Anthroposophy.

              Bradford
            • derek19282000
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
                <holderlin66@h...> wrote:
                > "derek19282000"
                >
                > WHAT HAS ALL THIS TO DO WITH ANTHROPOSOPHY?
                >
                > Derek, don't make me answer you. For what kind of lame blame lunk
                > would place this as a question?

                I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANY NEED TO BE RUDE.
              • Adrian Hansen
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
                  Dear Derek,
                  You are a new member I asume and not very advanced in
                  Anthroposophy ,like my self you will find out the hard
                  way, or you will walk away from it. I am sorry that
                  Bradford treated you as he did,but this is the only
                  way to wake up and although you can't see it yet, you
                  will thank him for his words later on. Please stick
                  with us and don't be put of, Love Adrian

                  --- holderlin66 <holderlin66@...> wrote:
                  ---------------------------------
                  "derek19282000"

                  Terms of Service.

                  http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                • Hogie McM
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
                    derek:
                    on the surface, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with Anthroposophy.

                    But Anthroposophy is always concerned with researching into the inner depths, to hopefully
                    someday make that which today is unseen, into a world view where all is seen consciously.
                    As Dr. Steiner went to pains to point out many times, there are several paths one may
                    take leading to the top of the mountain.  Some are dangerous, others are convoluted, and lead
                    to dead ends.....

                    in a nutshell, Anthroposophy does not come in "spoon-fed" answers, with fixation.
                    Whatever is uncovered, is always itself in full dynamic.

                    This is a very powerful group of concerned and informed Anthroposophists whom you have found...
                    it is worth getting to know them...dif a little, take the time to make the connections...
                    it is always the most fulfilling when you make them yoursel, with a little help from your friends.

                    Hogie

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
                      "derek19282000" <derek19282000@y...> wrote:

                      > I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANY NEED TO BE RUDE.

                      Alright Derek, I was rude, I admit it. Now do you think you can
                      perhaps imagine how much we hate to have to watch Nature getting
                      ripped off and tortured under Baconian Idols... No, No, I have a
                      better idea. Look here Derek.

                      "Just when the global diatribe over food and genetically modified
                      crops (GM) is heating up in tone and breadth, the corporations that
                      create them are staging a showcase for a fresh batch of transgenics.

                      These new GM crops, known as biopharmaceuticals, or biopharms for
                      short, produce industrial and pharmaceutical chemicals within their
                      tissues. The plants, including soy, rice, corn and tobacco, are
                      genetically altered to produce substances such as growth hormones,
                      curdling agents (coagulants), vaccines for humans as well as farm
                      animals, human antibodies, industrial enzymes, contraceptives and
                      even pregnancy deterrents.

                      Scientists and corporations alike embrace biopharmaceuticals with
                      glee. "Imagine being able to harvest enough globulin (a compound
                      that fights arthritis) for the whole world in all of fifty acres?",
                      writes Dr. William O. Robertson for the Seattle Post
                      Intelligencer. "Imagine being able to find the protein healthy
                      people use to prevent arthritis or breast cancer and being able to
                      produce it in large quantities in rice and tobacco."

                      ProdiGene, a leader in the field, calculates that by the end of this
                      decade, 10% of the corn produced in the US will be
                      biopharmaceutical. The volume of biopharmaceutical drugs and
                      chemicals could reach the 200 billion dollar figure, according to
                      Dow AgroSciences scientist Guy Cardinau. "

                      http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=7&ItemID=5102

                      So Derek, suppose you tell me if you understand what distortion of
                      the Elemental community and enslavement of nature means? Elaborate
                      everyone here is game and open, but certainly, not one I met here
                      has ever been stupid, except for me.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
                        Bradford the Rude:

                        To modify the engine of Nature, you can either use the sun, moon,
                        stars and soil in a biodynamic manner or you can get down into the
                        guts of nature with Ahrimanic instinct, and begin perfecting
                        biological distortions that will change the entire elemental world;
                        super enhance virus weapons; Over inject Silver, so that vegetables
                        so soak up lunar forces that they are like breast implants. In fact
                        flavor fails, but size and an enhancement of silver certainly
                        focuses the moons enlargment, size without taste current concepts.
                        There is a moral horror show happening. Someone is under the hood of
                        Mother Nature tooling with her, revving the engine, meddling with
                        the cow, the goat, the sheep, seeking disconnected Karma and Star
                        laws that are made by men only on the Earth.

                        Now these new breeds of enlisted and distorted elementals are GM
                        channeled into our diets and our environment. Oh we are gonna get
                        interesting results alright. But we haven't had the decency to
                        discuss the ethics involved with the Rape of Mother Nature and
                        turning her into a street hooker, Whore of Babylon for corporate fun
                        and demonic profit have we. Issues roll off discussion tables like
                        hardened rabbit turds.

                        Severing Nature from the Stars and booting up and modifying
                        elemental kingdoms, without wisdom, is serious child abuse. It is
                        Priest like rape, it's all that we are refusing to deal with as we
                        rush to human modification, karmic disruption and genetic cloning
                        divorced from Star wisdom. Here fragments of the lower I Am will
                        roll of the assembly line, and our Star Born model of self, will be
                        a fragment, of our own distorted karmic being. But the military will
                        remain the king of Earth hostage taking, but Anthros, fought, proved
                        and revealed, but they weren't listened to because the teenagers
                        have a strange "Wired Magazine" glint in their eyes. This trip
                        comes, batteries not included and we have got to see what is coming.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
                          In Rudolf Steiner's "How To Know Higher Worlds" ( translated by
                          Christopher Bamford,1994) , Chapter 5: "Requirements For Esoteric
                          Training", Steiner enumerates seven requirements. The second
                          requirement ( p99) is that "we feel ourselves involved in the whole
                          of life," he goes on to say it is then but a small step to the
                          insight that, as a member or organ of humanity as a whole, I am
                          jointly responsible with all human beings, for everything that
                          happens. THIS INSIGHT SHOULD NOT ,OF COURSE, BE IMMEDIATELY
                          TRANSLATED INTO POLITICAL AGITATION IN THE WORLD. It should be
                          calmly cultivated within the soul. In this way it will gradually
                          come to expression in my outer actions. Indeed in such matters, we
                          can begin only by reforming ourselves. To make general demands for
                          social and political reform on the basis of such insights is
                          fruitless. It is easy to say how other people should be, but
                          students of esoteric knowledge must work in the depths and not on
                          the surface. It would therefore be quite wrong to connect the
                          demands of esoteric schooling with any demands for reform or even
                          political change. The education of the spirit has nothing to do with
                          such things. Political activists generally know what to ask of other
                          people, but they hardly ever talk about asking anything of
                          themselves."
                          I interpreted your posting in this light. I may be wrong and am
                          prepared to withstand polite correction in the spirit of brotherly
                          love. I may have misinterpreted Steiner-or indeed, Steiner may be
                          wrong! But I do not deserve "character assassination!

                          The irony is that I agree with you about GM! And I am a member
                          of "Scientists for Global REsponsibilitty" and "the Soil
                          Association" {These are British organisations and may not be well
                          known on this site, but no doubt there are American equivalents).But
                          I visit an Anthroposical Group for instruction in spiritual matters
                          and have my own sources for political debate.
                        • Adrian Hansen
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 11, 2004
                            Go Derek!

                            ---------------------------------

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 11, 2004
                              Derek:
                              Im sure you are aware that Dr. Steiner, in addition to his inner work and
                              initial requirements for building up character, entered social life wholly and directly, and spent much energy,
                              with Walter Johannes Stein as ultimate courier, in trying to inculcate his model
                              of the 3-fold social order, politically, directly into real-time social-political change during his lifetime,
                              direct to personalities in the government that could have potentially made a change.

                              Im not sure I'd call it Political Agitation, as Anthroposophy is not meant to be agitated
                              to the world, but economical and political change directly into the physical world,
                              definitely a yes.

                              Hogie