Re: Hanging around

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1 9:34 AM
      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com,

      "Hogie McM" <hogie@a...> wrote:

      The Number comes from the Ahrimanic realm, level 3, (inspired
      consciousness),
      > from the deep unconscious Will, and enters into the Level 1
      conceptual consciousness,
      > the Mind (of the the Luciferic realm), which has entered human
      evolution as a result
      > of the War in Heaven with Michael (1839-1879), as he thre Lucifer
      out of the
      > Spiritual worlds in to the Earthly worlds of Human nature?
      >
      > The Brain is the physical structure then that manifests from the
      activities
      > of the Spirits of Form, and which is perceived by the Physical
      Senses only as a reflection,
      > within the Catch-22 of the brain activites itself, wherein my
      inquiry falls to pieces
      > a bit, or at least gets convoluted.

      http://faculty.virginia.edu/kubovylab/101_97/Lectures/Lecture02.html

      Dreams and modularity

      Five features of dreams
      Intense emotion
      Illogical content and organization
      Clear sensory impressions
      Uncritical acceptance
      Difficulty of remembering the dream

      The principle of modularity
      The mind is not controlled by a single agency
      It is more like a collection of specialized devices: modules
      In dreams some of the modules that work when we are awake are turned
      off; others work harder
      Another example of modularity: autism, a condition that may not
      affect intelligence, but prevents the individual from understanding
      others

      WHERE AM I?
      Mind = soul = spirit
      Why "mind"?
      Is the mind in the heart or in the brain?
      Aristotle (384-322 BCE): heart
      Galen (129-199 CE): brain

      Galen's brain theory
      Experiments on Barbary apes
      Squeeze heart and brain
      Tie off nerve from brain to vocal chords

      Facts about the cortex of the brain

      THE BRAIN
      Total cortical area = 1.3 x 105 mm2
      = a square sheet about 14" on a side
      Cortical thickness = 1.7 mm
      about 1/16" thick
      Number of cortical neurons = 1010
      10,000,000,000 = 10 billion
      Density of cortical neurons = 105/mm3
      1,638,706,400 = about 1.7 billion in a 1" cube

      THE BRAIN
      Number of synapses per neuron = 4x103
      4,000
      Axons: 3 km/mm3
      80,000 miles in a 1" cube
      Number of corpus callosum fibers = 5x108
      500,000,000 = 500 million
      Electrical activity of the brain
    • Maurice McCarthy
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1 12:38 PM
        Dear Hogie,

        Please forgive me for not answering you directly. In a sense you go on
        to say what I wanted to add.

        If one holds, in fixity, to the point of view that the How is primary
        then what one has done is turn the How into a What. In this case the
        What has become a How. So what is the difference? Why should anyone have
        an inclination to prefer one to the other?

        The What is simply given so that the What turned into a How is a passive
        How - and the name for a passive How is condition. In all ultimate
        matters it is necessary to take a dialectical pont of view. Since the
        spirit is an ultimate then one must look "through both sides of the
        window". We must at once grasp the view from "inside the room" (the
        spiritual and 'soular') and also from outside the room (the
        materialistic). Your location defines your fixity. Thus materialism
        contains a certain truth but is one sided.

        The extreme form of materialism is today called Eliminative Materialism
        - sooner or later we will all realise that colours, for example, do not
        really exist. It is not popular but not that easy to refute, in spite
        of appearances.

        Since the origin of explanation, the supreme form of knowledge without
        which no other kind can be affirmed to exist, demands an undefined
        content and an undefinable activity (the willingness to understand -
        which is Goethe's eternal feminine, the Classical Helen) then it is not
        the content but the activity which must exist. The activity is the Light
        of the World. But the two cannot relate without another - the impulse to
        knowledge. The content lends its impulse,its mystery, to the activity.
        The activity is the willingness to grasp this impulse. (Impulse is the
        non-manifest Father, Willingness is His Son - Sophia! Sophia is receptive
        to all kinds of knowledge.)

        The two questions for realism/physicalism/materialism, other minds and
        self-consciousness, may be stated thus:

        Willingness can only become a subject by parcelling itself. And the
        matter for parcel is content. I only know my own mind. How can I
        therefore know that the stone under my shoe is not conscious?

        Self-consciousness results from the activity of willingness being
        reflected by the content to willingness itself. The active is always to
        be preferred to the passive. (Aristotle - i.e. Steiner in a former
        incarnation.) The active is that which makes the passive what it is.

        Think I've not been clear here, but got to go.
        Maurice.

      • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1 8:59 PM
          To the AP critics-  "A person who has a cat by the tail knows a whole lot more about cats than someone who has just read about them.  -Mark Twain
          I didn't think such a thing as certainty reguarding spiritual matters existed until finding AP.   The Light feels good,  The Light feels real, I think I'll stay here where the Light unfolds, for the sake of human kind, I'll stay where the Light feels good and true.   Chees
        • Maurice McCarthy
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2 7:42 AM
            Ned Block (philosopher NYU) defines functionalism as the theory that
            "mental states are constituted by their causal relations to each
            other and to sensory inputs and behavioural outputs". He calls the
            scientific concept of kidney a function - it filters the blood. This
            lends itself well to the computer analogy in that the function is
            'software'. The mental is no longer identified with the physical but has
            a level of its own so that psychology has a content of its own divorced
            from the physical. Reductionism is out.

            I reckon that because 'causal' remains a physical notion for the
            functionalist then this is why they are attacked for no theory of the
            quality of the senses. Functionalism is a sort of hybrid
            realist-dynamist theory. They are sure to reject any proposal that
            concepts and ideas have an objective validity but will see them as
            linguistic description only (They use Wittgenstein's theory of meaning.)
            This is the battle to win through for a proper epistemology, that
            concepts have a formative influence. They put language as the generator
            of the conceptual. In terms of time they have a point but not in terms
            of explanation. Explanation has a priority in being.

            Maurice
          • joksu57
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3 12:11 AM
              Hello Maurice!

              In the 70's when I studied Steiner's Philosophy of Freedom,
              philosophy became very interesting subject to me. Inspired by Dr.
              Steiner's views I started studying theoretical philosophy in a
              university in late 70's. Of course academic philosophy was some sort
              of a disappointment after PoF. But the history of philosophy was
              worth the trouble and from "new philosophy" e.g. the paradigm-concept
              of Thomas S. Kuhn was a helpful tool. After the "university years" I
              have propably been too lazy in studying philosophy and scientific
              subjects (there are just too many esoteric subjects to mess with!).

              It is nice to hear that consciousness is nowadays not treated as a
              mere attribute of matter. But still there are grave differences. We
              can take again the example of a "human being". So some modern
              thinkers can take the attitude, where the mind is almost accepted as
              a reality. When we think what man is after Saturn-, Sun-, Moon- and
              Earth-periods, the "accuracy-level" is remarkably different. Of
              course a human being is extremely large and difficult concept to
              study, because "we are the microcosm". What makes the subject even
              more harder is the fact, that we are in a "halfway position" and
              probably in Vulcan-period we can see, what it really means to be a
              human being. So there remains a lot of work in "bridging" the
              different paradigms.

              It is fine that you have interest and capability in this "philosophy-
              business". Please keep on reporting about your research!

              Warm Regards
              Joksu

              --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Maurice McCarthy
              <maurice.mccarthy@n...> wrote:
              > On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 01:46:27PM -0000 or thereabouts, joksu57
              wrote:

              > > I also have my doubts about the outcome of those debates, when
              the
              > > paradigms are so different. E.g. a human being in "anthro-
              paradigm"
              > > means something totally different compared to "scientific-
              > > materialistic" paradigm. When even the basic concepts used in a
              > > discussion can mean different things, it is hard to come to some
              > > reasonable conclusion. My respect, though, to everyone, who have
              the
              > > patience to explain the basics of spiritual science to critics
              (who
              > > obviously have some other agenda than understanding AP or Waldorf
              > > education).
              > >

              > With respect to materialism and how it has changed since Steiner's
              time
              > I've recently read Colin McGuinn's philosophical biography and am
              now
              > reading Paul Churchland's "Matter and Consciousness". Both are
              intended
              > for the lay reader but the latter especially is challenging.
              >
              > The big change is that the mind is almost accepted as a reality,
              > distinct from matter. Almost all cognitive scientists, neurologists
              and
              > Artificial Intelligence folk are funtionalists. In the terms of
              Human
              > and Cosmic Thought this is a form of dynamism and is adjacent to a
              > Leibnitzian-type monadology - which definitely affirms the
              existence of
              > subjective entities.
              >
              > Chomsky is the man most responsible for this change - that the mind
              is
              > born with a pre-configured modularity. As I see it this is within
              an ace
              > of declaring the soul.
              >
              > Maurice
            • Maurice McCarthy
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3 5:22 AM
                Dear Joksu

                Thanks for the encouragement. I battle on as best I can to understand
                and I've always had an interest in the Big Issues. Years ago I played
                chess to a minor international level and though I lost more than I won
                there is perhaps only a single game in my recollection which I lost
                through a lack of strategy oversight. It was in the details that I lost
                my way - and 'the devil is in the details', as the saying goes.

                Essentially what I am trying to say in these little words is that RS
                died a whole human life-time ago teaching us the principle that reality
                alters and alters continually, even though some things appear more
                stable than others. It is a common human failing to stay with habit of
                thought rather than re-think afresh and we anthroposophists have just
                this failing as much as anyone else. This does not mean that RS is
                irrelevant (words from the spirit are the most stable of all and when
                Christ says 'verily, I say unto ye' then listen because what comes next
                is true for every level of consciousness and all time. This is why it is
                put 'verily'.) RS is not irrelevant but habit ossifies his words which
                slowly lose contact with living reality. It is up to us to rework the
                truth in our changed circumstances.`

                McGinn is a "monkey-hanger" - a term of endearment for a chap from
                Hartlepool in the North East of England. During the Napoleonic Wars they
                famously hung a monkey there for being a French spy ... ?!? (True story)
                In "The Making of a Philosopher" he writes to the effect that:
                In the technical works such as Syntactical Structures Chomsky argued
                that a child could not learn a language by the Behaviourist's stimilus
                and response but had to come pre-prepared with an implicit grasp of
                grammar. One of the key arguments was the limited resources a child
                posseses to develop rich grammar.

                Functionalism now easily arises from the observed necessity to
                thrust the mind into stimulus and response. Jerry Fodor is McGinn's
                colleague at Rutgers and McGinn says that he is generally acknowledged
                to be the best philosopher of mind in the world. (Anglo-Saxon philosophy
                is still a very male-ego oriented thing today.) Fodor's Language of
                Thought 1975 is considered one of the first robust statements of
                Functionalim which now puts the first, if still physicalised, emphasis
                on the How as opposed to the what.

                From our position we generally think that Computer Intelligence is just
                baloney from first inspection. I still agree but this speaking from
                habit. Be warned - there is a lot more credit to AI than we at first
                give it.

                Maurice

                On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:11:00AM -0000 or thereabouts, joksu57 wrote:
                > Hello Maurice!
                >
                > In the 70's when I studied Steiner's Philosophy of Freedom,
                > philosophy became very interesting subject to me. Inspired by Dr.
                > Steiner's views I started studying theoretical philosophy in a
                > university in late 70's. Of course academic philosophy was some sort
                > of a disappointment after PoF. But the history of philosophy was
                > worth the trouble and from "new philosophy" e.g. the paradigm-concept
                > of Thomas S. Kuhn was a helpful tool. After the "university years" I
                > have propably been too lazy in studying philosophy and scientific
                > subjects (there are just too many esoteric subjects to mess with!).
                >
                > It is nice to hear that consciousness is nowadays not treated as a
                > mere attribute of matter. But still there are grave differences. We
                > can take again the example of a "human being". So some modern
                > thinkers can take the attitude, where the mind is almost accepted as
                > a reality. When we think what man is after Saturn-, Sun-, Moon- and
                > Earth-periods, the "accuracy-level" is remarkably different. Of
                > course a human being is extremely large and difficult concept to
                > study, because "we are the microcosm". What makes the subject even
                > more harder is the fact, that we are in a "halfway position" and
                > probably in Vulcan-period we can see, what it really means to be a
                > human being. So there remains a lot of work in "bridging" the
                > different paradigms.
                >
                > It is fine that you have interest and capability in this "philosophy-
                > business". Please keep on reporting about your research!
                >
                > Warm Regards
                > Joksu
              • Maurice McCarthy
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3 5:51 AM
                  Bradford asked about modules

                  Chomsky holds intelligence to be of separate compartments and not an
                  infinitely plastic unity. There is one for language but to him it is
                  specifically human. Animal or alien tongues may easily be
                  unintelligible to a human. Intelligences are separate things - I think
                  he is saying species specific.

                  McGinn finds this relevant to what he calls Metaphilosophy, the
                  philosophy beyond philosophy or philosophy of philosophy. I ask what is
                  the love of knowledge for the love of knowledge? The pure willingness to
                  understand - Christ as Anthropo-sophia, human wisdom. He say
                  metaphilosophy is the most neglected and difficult aspect in all
                  philosophy.

                  Maurice.
                • Maurice McCarthy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 3 5:53 AM
                    Children do not imitate speech, they create it:

                    Lap me, Nanny! (My daughter at about 2 years old)

                    Maurice