Ring Bearer Lore

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
      Let us review one more time:

      There are many layers of wisdom in great cultural contributions. Lord
      of the Rings has evoked and touched millions of souls. Many feel the
      same way about reading the Books and seeing the Movies as what has
      been expressed on this list. I always taught my classes the same way,
      so as to connect to the cultural world we live in as well as build
      that which is the organ of spiritual cognition.

      We would read as a class, build up our pictures, see them in our
      minds eye discuss them and then we, after a period of digestion,
      compare what Film and culture had to offer. I have done this with
      Moby Dick, The Illiad and Odyssey and of course Lord of the Rings.
      After fully grasping the substance of the books, the class would sit
      down and compare how films, like the BW Moby with Gregory Peck or the
      Kirk Douglas version of Ullysses. The results were always the same.
      We all had differnt pictures in our heads, yet.. yet, here is the
      kicker.. we all draw from common good and common mutual ideas from a
      vast common idea world and we can compare what and how others see and
      how and what we see.

      Below is another person who takes a reductionist, shrinking thinking
      pattern to the Lord of the Rings Tales, but as you know, I like
      Expansionism. I like the wide open spaces of the infinite depths of
      Science and as a bungling member of the Michael School, I see stupid
      connections and fail at shrinking and reductionism, even if it would
      help my career. So I give you Expansion and Reductionism but on the
      noble theme of Lord of the Rings. Expansionism remains the unexplored
      country while reductionism is easier to convey. Like Joksu, I am
      schooled on Wagner's Ring and the GRail Cup which is remade from the
      Rhinegold Ring.

      I haven't yet seen the Lord of the Rings final movie yet either. Let
      me look at the ring in my usual confused Expansionism first. There is
      Sun Gold in an alchemical relationship with something that with
      fallen Devachan atomic table force, sucks and drags on the Immortal
      core of the I AM. A ring forged with Titan Earth Core, Sun Gold where
      all I Am's are tied. Truly the magical Ring is made with a secret
      Sorathian density of a Black Hole where entire galaxies, in
      counterweight could crash through this tiny circle.

      The Ring has been wedded with Star and matter, into the making of an
      Anti-Gold ring, that conforms, horribly nicely to the finger size,
      the fingerprint, the I.D. of whoever wears it. That would mean that
      the Astral, Etheric and Physical Form field, or from matter itself, a
      tuning and link is made to the I AM and the current of destiny. In
      other words the fascination one had when anyone played, when a child,
      with a metal board and character that one could move with a magnet
      under the board, only here a Titan, made at the forming of the Earth,
      had got hold of a higher Devachan mystery and could penetrate astral,
      etheric and I AM fields.

      We can see that a Giant Titan had a larger finger than a little
      Hobbit or a Man and somehow the Ring manages to, as Gold is want to,
      to expand and contract according to the finger size of the wearer.
      Therefore an Anti-I AM, core source that is rooted high up in the
      Devachan and Alchemical combinations of matter and the atomic table,
      had found a key in the tumblers of the Stars and their movements, the
      alloys and their counterparts, to find the Stellar frequency of each
      incarnated Being and lock in on it. There is science here, and while
      Tesla would admire the Science, our military industrial complex is
      lurking around enhancing, refining and stealing this science in the
      old Titan way.

      Lets go further here: Now normally, as good writer, Jan would have
      built up a larger base of understanding than I have. I am seeing as I
      Am writing and seeing is briefly slapping down factual nuggets, of
      rich contemplation against the narrative. But - But - If Matter
      wanted to, lets say, Beam Aboard a physical Being, the Being who is
      made of either particle or wave theories, is a combination of both
      chemical and atomic particles...that must be taken apart and rebuilt
      in another, apparent space. All such theories of Rings, matter, gold
      and the atomic table revolve around one and only one question hanging
      on the lips of every soul in the universe.

      How could the Christ Appear, become material and disappear at will
      after his excruciating torture and death? Did Christ have some handle
      on matter on the rough shod theories we have of Wave and Particle and
      Atomic Theory? Was this all hallucination and optical illusion, mere
      sunbeam shimmering? What does the marrow bones and the New
      Resurrection Body or the Chymical Wedding and the refined Transparent
      child of the 13 century have to do with the elasticity of Matter and
      Spirit? Ah, but that, dear friends is Expansionism. I suppose it is
      safer to remain with Reductionism or?

      Or simply put, who are the bad guys and who are the good guys?

      Lord of the Rings: Movie Magic, but Philosophical Poison
      by Steven LaTulippe

      When I first read the Lord of the Rings as a child, I was moved
      beyond words. It was like entering a boyish fantasyland of adventure,
      danger, and romance. Tolkien painted Middle Earth with such poetic
      beauty that I wanted to unsheathe my sword and come to its rescue.
      His portrait of evil was captivating in its relentless malevolence.

      Upon hearing that it was to be made into a movie trilogy, I was
      somewhat pessimistic. I doubted that any production could do the
      books justice. I was skeptical that the soul of the story could be
      captured on the big screen, and feared that the beloved tale would be
      butchered by Hollywood.

      But I have to hand it to the makers of this series. By God, they did
      it. With each episode, they just kept getting better. The scenery is
      entrancing. The action is breathtaking. The characters blossom in
      their heroism, humanity, and beauty.

      But now, decades after my first reading of the series, my perspective
      has changed. My "propaganda radar" is always on, and it picks up
      smuggled concepts and hidden political agendas like a tireless
      bloodhound. Decades of bombardment by the cultural Marxists have
      forced me to eat the apple of Eden. I see the good and evil and can
      no longer bask in that wonderful innocence of childhood.

      As much as it genuinely pains me to say it, this movie trilogy is
      philosophically corrupt.

      May old Tolkien forgive me, but the ideology embraced by the Ring
      trilogy is extremely harmful to those of us on the
      libertarian/paleoconservative right. It is more than harmful, it is
      downright dangerous.

      I realize that this borders on sacrilege…but before showering me with
      hoots of derision, hear me out.

      Generally speaking, I see two politically-charged ideas advanced by
      this series.

      First, and of lesser importance, is a strong anti-technology message
      that is plainly evident. The heroes are warm and fuzzy people who
      live in pastoral environs. The Hobbits farm peacefully in their
      delightful shires. The Elves live in their grand forests. The dwarves
      live in their rugged mountains and caves.

      Cities and industry, on the other hand, are portrayed in the worst
      terms imaginable. Saruman's demesnes are downright Dickensian.
      Deformed orcs labor in satanic mills, mass-producing their evil
      progeny. The very Earth is despoiled as forests are mowed down,
      leaving behind barren moonscapes of poisoned soil and air.

      This could have been written by Ralph Nader.

      But luckily for Middle Earth, this industrial blight is erased by the
      righteous anger of the ancient Ents. They storm from the remaining
      forests like environmentalists attacking an SUV dealership. These
      leafy Luddites wreck the machinery, kill the disfigured orcish
      workers, and wash away the blight in a giant tidal wave.

      Like it or not, the message is hard to miss. It is right out of the
      Earth First! ideological handbook.

      While this Marxist/environmentalist propaganda is annoying, the more
      serious problem is the attack on "isolationism."

      America, and much of the Western world, has had a long-running
      conflict between two irreconcilable views of the purpose of our
      civilization. One group, most aptly typified by the Jacobins of
      French Revolutionary fame, believes that society is an idealistic
      pursuit of utopia. This school of thinking holds that there must be a
      unifying goal which must be pursued relentlessly in order to justify
      society's collective existence. From the Crusades to the present Iraq
      War, the Jacobins believe that only by throwing our bodies (not their
      bodies, mind you…but ours) into the maw of war for the "higher
      purpose" that currently enthralls them will we morally justify our
      existence.

      The opposite pole, typified by the America First movement of 1930s
      fame, holds a position usually described as "conservative." This
      group believes that the purpose of society is to provide a framework
      of liberty so that the people can go about living their lives. It
      holds that the purpose of society is to permit the people to raise
      their children, work at their chosen career, and worship God with as
      little interference from distant authority as is possible. It is the
      belief in a Republic, not an Empire. It requires a military of
      minutemen, not centurions. It believes in "community building" at
      home, not "nation building" abroad.

      The movie that the Ring trilogy most recalls in my mind is
      Casablanca. That too was a wonderfully made production with first-
      rate acting. But it too was a pot-shot at "isolationism." That movie
      revolved around a character who sulked about his own failed love life
      rather than lift a finger to enter the fray of world war. He was
      portrayed as a rather pathetic "man" who would rather cry in his
      drink than do anything concrete to save the world.

      In the Ring, an implacable evil arises from distant lands. The
      Hobbits, (who one thinks are portrayed rather like our beltway elites
      view Americans in small-town USA), are content to live their myopic
      little lives instead of going off Crusading. But they can't just live
      their little lives. They cannot think that there is any moral
      righteousness in building a shire and enjoying their family. Not when
      there are orcs that need killing.

      It is this Manichean view of reality, along with the futility
      of "isolationism," that is the real underlying message of the Lord of
      the Rings.

      The psyche of our elites is essentially one endless loop of Lord of
      the Rings, with themselves starring as Gandalf (the wise one who must
      convince everyone else of the need for the Crusade). Their worldview,
      which in the American context I believe arose from the righteous
      fanaticism of New England Puritanism, focuses on a continuing series
      of Saurons. Southerners, Spaniards, Serbians, Muslims, etc., have
      each, in turn, served as the evil straw man against which the elites
      can release the grapes of wrath and swing their terrible swift sword.

      Those who oppose their plans are either isolationist hobbits,
      cowardly human villagers, or Saruman-like turncoats.

      The problem with this "Middle Earth" view of reality is that it does
      not accurately reflect the world around us. Arabs are not orcs.
      Milosovic is not Sauron. The Albanians are not elves. This philosophy
      of endless Crusading will leave us with mounds of corpses, a bankrupt
      treasury, and an Empire instead of a Republic.

      So as much as we might enjoy swinging our make-believe sword at those
      imaginary orcs, adulthood beckons. Serbian nationalists and Muslim
      fanatics can never destroy our Constitution. But the ethos of endless
      war just might succeed where they fall short.

      December 31, 2003

      Steven LaTulippe [send him mail] is a physician currently practicing
      in Ohio. He was an officer in the United States Air Force for 13
      years.