9498Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Dog Tales

  • Jan
    Oct 6, 2003
      Re: [anthroposophy] Re: Dog Tales On 5/10/03 6:02 pm, "soniaeasley2002" <soniaeasley2002@...> wrote:

      Thank you, Jan.  Your wonderful thoughts regarding animals touched my
      heart.  I toolove them so much.  How is it that some humans do not
      feel the same way?

      Sonia

      Dear Sonia,
          I just don’t know.  Surely loving and caring for animals can only add to the stature of humanity? We have a great debt and responsibility towards the animals, it is one of the duties of human-kind and we cannot expect the world to go well with us all if we coldly exploit other sentient beings.  The warmth and love which animals give in return for the smallest kindness is overwhelming. They are also capable of loving inter-species animal relationships.  There are horse sanctuaries where the horses, donkeys, goats and cows form lifelong ties of friendship, and remain in small friendly groups by their own choice, a blind animal led everywhere by its friend, for example. That is one way of animal living. The prevalent way is to regard them as a ‘product’ or a ‘crop’.
      So lovely to hear from you, another animal friend.

      Go gently, Jan

      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Jan <starbirdgarden@b...> wrote:
      > For dog friends. Those who do not care for dogs, please pass.
      >
      > ....A renegade among well bred dogs is the Mongrel.  I like
      Mongrels.  They
      > do their own thing.... I watched one helpfully watering pots of
      flowering
      > plants at the garden centre last week....improving the scent, no
      doubt, with
      > its own unique doggy fertilizing fluid .......
      >
      > Rudolf Steiner - " Group-egos are wise, but they are still lacking
      in
      > something, they do not know what love is. Love can only be found
      connected
      > with wise individuality in man. In animals, the love is not in the
      group-ego
      > but in the individual animals. The wise organization underlying the
      whole
      > group-ego is still devoid of love. Animals  have love down below on
      the
      > physical world and their wisdom up on the astral plane. Once we
      realize this
      > we will be able to unde4rstand many things" June 7 1908
      >
      > Companion animals are a way into such necessary understanding for
      many of
      > us.
      >     Our two Black Scottish terriers, Mungo and Morag passed into
      the realm
      > of the Salamanders some years ago, but their aura of protective
      warmth is
      > still perceptibly woven into the family and environs.
      >    Scotties have very pronounced characters and are not terribly
      amenable to
      > training. They don't see the point of it. People encountering our
      two used
      > to say that they were very nearly Individualized beings. Certainly
      one can
      > see how dogs and domestic animals generally cannot simply go back
      into a
      > group ego at death.
      >      Scottish Terriers are really big barrel chested, large jawed
      dogs on
      > short legs which is why they have a deep bark and terrifying growl.
      > Terriers, as their name implies, are closely related to the element
      earth,
      > and like most dogs, and have abundant life forces.
      >      Of course, not everyone loves or understands dogs.  A friend,
      not a
      > great dog lover, who had not previously met Mungo and Morag, made a
      visit
      > wile I was out. Someone let him in and he sat down to wait for me.
      Mungo,
      > coming to investigate, was patted, and instantly took our friend's
      wrist
      > between his jaws in a very gentle but quite inexorable grip.
      Whenever he
      > tried to withdraw his arm, the grip was slightly but meaningfully
      increased,
      > Mungo's eyes never leaving his face.  He had picked up on an unease
      with
      > dogs, and was not sure of the visitor's friend-foe status, so
      decided on a
      > holding procedure, which he maintained until I returned some time
      later.
      > Luckily, our visitor was not annoyed, and became dog friend.
      >
      >      A Welsh Collie I know regards humans as sheep. (Perhaps he'll
      become a
      > politician!) His owners have a farm as well as a property in
      London, where
      > they sometimes bring the Collie.  Here, he herds people.  They are
      allowed
      > to come into the house, but not to leave which he regards as an
      attempt to
      > escape.  He deftly rounds them up, nipping their ankles, until
      counter
      > commanded by his owner. Unsuspecting visitors have been confined to
      the sofa
      > for hours. A man I knew  who loved and worked with Welsh Collies
      told me
      > that they had totally unpredictable temperaments, and were among
      the few
      > dogs who would calmly meet your gaze and then bite you.
      >
      >     Most evenings, over the years I would sit beneath the Bullace
      Tree close
      > by the house, with a Scottie on either side of me.  This was our
      twilight
      > reflection hour in the holiness and quiet of sweetly breathing
      earth,
      > watching the flowers and the stars begin to glow and shine as dusk
      gathered.
      >       A gift that humans can bestow upon animals is Peace. Human
      prayer and
      > meditation bring them something more than they can reach for
      themselves,
      > something more than nature gives them.  Animals, while awake, can
      rarely
      > rest.  They have to remain alert to save their lives, or else are
      caught by
      > some scent, imperative or impulse.  Mungo rarely relaxed completely
      in the
      > garden; even when he slept, an ear was always cocked.  There was the
      > constant danger of a cheeky squirrel risking the fence, or a bird
      daring to
      > alight on the bird table. We won't mention cats..... But as the sky
      darkened
      > they would both sit perfectly still in the benevolent aura of the
      tree with
      > me in a sharing, contemplative silence.
      >     An echoing memory of this came to me when I sat recently, now
      long
      > dogless, on that same seat, with a squirrel softly grooming itself
      at my
      > feet, while another lay full length on a branch by my shoulder,
      resting
      > quietly.  We stayed thus for a long time in a deep
      companionableness, and
      > they seemed to me to be more than squirrels as I usually knew them,
      free for
      > once of the imperative to eat, store food or bicker among
      themselves.
      >   The dogs, perhaps, now bring me thoughts..... Scotties do not
      retrieve
      > sticks.  Any sticks that they acquire they prefer to keep. But are
      they
      > thought retrievers now? Darting between human and Angel, bringing me
      > enlivening fire? Am I chewing over concepts and ideas as they once
      chewed at
      > knotty sticks? Certainly those quiet hours are fruitful, rich and
      healing,
      > as birds sing evening prayers and calm befalls the soul of all
      garden
      > beings.
      >       During the dog-days of this summer, we have shared thoughts,
      courtesy
      > of the Salamanders, on bees, insects, butterflies and the
      elementals that
      > work with and accompany them, and much, much else beside. A whole
      world of
      > thought has been woven between us all. Warmth, as well as light was
      > harvested, friendships forged or re-formed out of ancient links,
      renewed and
      > inscribed afresh in the sensitive ethers.
      >     So the interaction of human and animal is also manifold,
      infinitely
      > various and full of potential for the future. To the animals we
      stand as
      > gods.  Our deeds have long consequences or shadows.
      >

      > Rudolf Steiner - " We know that in the course of evolution man has
      always
      > inflicted pain on the animals, that he has killed the animals.  One
      who
      > learns to know the Karma of human life often finds it unjust that
      the
      > animal, which does not reincarnate, should suffer, should bear
      pain, and
      > even, in the case of the higher animals, should go through death
      with a
      > certain consciousness.  Should no Karmic compensation take place
      here?
      > Naturally, the human being has to make a karmic compensation in
      Kamaloka for
      > the pain which he inflicts on animals, but I am not speaking of
      this now; I
      > am speaking of the compensation for the animals.  Let us make one
      thought
      > clear: if we consider human evolution, we see how much pain man has
      strewn
      > over the animal kingdom and how many animals he has killed.  What
      do these
      > pains and these deaths mean in the course of evolution?
      >      Occult study shows us that every pain which is inflicted on a
      > pain-feeling being other than man, every death, is a seed for the
      future.
      > Animals, as they are willed by the progressive divine evolution,
      are not
      > destined to have incarnations like man.
      >      But if a change comes into this wisdom filled world plan, if
      man
      > intervenes and does not leave the evolution of the animals to be as
      it would
      > have been without man, what happens then?  Now, you see, occult
      research
      > teaches us that every pain, every death, inflicted by man on the
      animals,
      > will return and arise again, not through reincarnation, but because
      pain and
      > death have been inflicted on the animals.  The pain and suffering
      call up
      > animality again. These animals on which pain has been inflicted
      will arise
      > again, though not in the same form; but that which feels pain in
      them, that
      > comes again.
      >      It comes again in such a way that the sufferings of the
      animals are
      > compensated, so that to every pain a complementary feeling is
      added. These
      > pains, these sufferings, this death, these are the seed which man
      has sown;
      > they return in such a way that to every pain its contrary feeling
      is added
      > in the future.  To use a concrete example: when Earth is replaced by
      > Jupiter, the animals will not appear in their present form, but
      their pains
      > and sufferings will awaken the forces for the feeling of pain.
      They will
      > live in men, and will embody themselves as parasitic animals in men.
      >      Out of the sensations and feelings of these men, out of their
      pains,
      > the compensation will be created.  This is the occult truth, which
      can be
      > stated objectively and unadorned even if it is not pleasant to the
      man of
      > today.  Man will one day suffer this, and the animals will have, in
      > certain well being, in a pleasant feeling, the compensation for
      their pains.
      > This already happens slowly and gradually in the course of present
      day life,
      > no matter how strange this seems.
      >      Why are men plagued by beings which are really neither animals
      nor
      > plants, but stand between the two, by bacilli and similar
      creatures, which
      > feel a wellbeing when man suffers?  They have brought this upon
      themselves
      > in earlier incarnations through inflicting pain and death on
      animals.  For
      > the being, through not appearing in the same form, feels this
      across time
      > and feels the compensation for its pains in the suffering which man
      must
      > undergo."  end quote from lecture 2 The Three Paths of the Soul to
      Christ
      > 1912.
      >
      >     There is no need for cruelty. The very active 84 year old
      sister of my
      > best friend co founded and directs DLRM in the UK (Doctors and
      Lawyers for
      > Responsible Medicine) which seeks to prove, purely  scientifically,
      that
      > vivisection is not efficacious. That it is in fact is conducive of
      disease,
      > and is chiefly a legal cover and smoke screen for the big
      pharmaceuticals.

      > http://www.dlrm.org/trustees.htm
      >
      >   Horse riding for the physically and mentally disabled is a growing
      > therapeutic trend. Visiting dogs and cats are used more and more
      frequently
      > in hospitals and old folks homes to aid recovery and doubtless more
      than
      > just a transfer of etheric energies is at work.  A warm
      relationship between
      > animal and human being must surely facilitate the  healing
      elementals
      > ability to work into the aura of the sick person, and the animals,
      being
      > spiritually enriched by human attention, do not seem to become
      drained or
      > depleted but enjoy their participation. Christ works in all healing
      > processes and I believe that His love flows in such interactions,
      to the
      > benefit of all. This seems to me the proper way way to go.
      >
      >    Is what Mabel Collins, Anna Bonus Kingsford and others
      called 'The Infamy
      > of Vivisection' perhaps partly responsible for mutating viruses and
      bacteria
      > arising out of darkened science which are now so threatening to
      human well
      > being?  Experimenting upon animals to improve human health and
      thereby
      > creating hostile parasites and baccili is ironic, to say the least!
      > Jan

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705077360:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055>