9067[anthroposophy] Re: smoking karma

  • Maurice McCarthy
    Aug 5, 2003
      Hi Paul and Bruce,

      Weight loss is probably in some way due to its cleansing properties, the
      healthy body being a process and not a thing.

      They've been and gone and changed the email address at work so it is now
      maurice.mccarthy@... rather than
      maurice.mccarthy@....

      Comfrey is usually looked upon as a nuisance and rooted out but the one
      place you will find it is in an allotment where they often grow it for
      fertiliser. (It was the sole ingredient of the original garden fertiliser.
      It is a big, hairy ugly beautiful plant. Sometimes I have found it in old
      church yards (they are very often a wonderful resource as they habitually
      had many kinds of growth their. Elder as the tree of life, and an ancient
      panacea. Yew as the tree of death, its leaves poisonous to cattle and
      sheep.) If you know a biodynamic gardener ask for a cutting. Henry
      Doubleday's near Birmingham are a good and long established organic
      supplier. (They have a hybrid Russian/English variety said to be very sturdy
      indeed.)

      Mallow is most often found as a road side plant. But the marsh mallow is
      equally as effective. (Modern marshmallow is utterly synthetic and takes its
      name from the plant. It makes a thick, syrupy liquid which when whisked with
      honey was used as a sweet dish.)

      The common mallow is in flower now but will be dying off in a month. The
      flower is purple, five petals with dark central "veining" on each petal. The
      leaves can resemble those of the begonia, with five rounded lobes but no
      dark ring. The leaves can be more deeply lobed and serrated on vigorous
      plants. Yet the marsh mallow has much narrower leaves. Indeed it is
      difficult to give a very accurate description without showing you one. Once
      you've seen it you'll know it. Get a book from the library for a picture.

      To Begin with most anything might help - dandelion and nettle are the two
      most important herbs in the UK. But if your friend must resort to dried
      comfrey make it very strong (it tastes foul) It is the comfrey which seems
      to replace the nourishment in this case.

      The nettle carries oxygen to the lungs (unbelievably Heather was adamant
      that oxygen is put into the body through the stomach!!) It will throw any
      phlegm off the chest and generally improve the breathing.

      You can buy Friar's Balsam from any chemist for about 60p. It is marked 'not
      for internal use'. If you take the smallest drop that you can, cut it in
      half, then soak up the 1/2 with say sugar and eat it then the balsam will go
      to the lungs and coat them in such a manner that any internal laceration can
      be felt. (I have done this to myself and it is a little unpleasant but it
      passes.) The only point is to give you a gauge of how badly the lungs are
      damaged.

      Ladle cinnamon onto your bowl of porridge in the winter to protect the chest
      from the cold.

      Hope this helps

      Maurice McCarthy
      home email <maurice.mccarthy@...>