8831RE: [anthroposophy] Re: Patrick Flanagan

  • Maurice McCarthy
    Jul 3, 2003
      Hi Paul, you asked about Heather and books.

      I know of none. The only book I saw in her possession was the Royal
      Horticultural Book of Plants and Herbs. Many of the things she did with
      herbs were utterly different to the traditional uses listed there. She had
      read all the traditional herbalists, from the ancient Greeks to Culpepper
      etc., and like him used astrology to assist her work, which was her life.
      What infuriated her most was that modern doctors do not abide by the
      Hippocratic oath and harm their patients deliberately. "Question any ward
      sister closely and you'll see that I am right. Iatrogenic genic diseases are
      rife. Worse, their diagnoses are like the children's game 'pinning the tail
      on the donkey'. They are blind to what is before their eyes. ... The most
      damnable things are radiotherapy and chemotherapy. There is no natural cure
      for the damage they cause. I've racked my brains, tried everything. Nothing
      works. A natural disease or accident has a natural cure. ... The worst thing
      in the home is the microwave." (Heather herself would not even have a
      fridge.) "The microwave destroys the living goodnes in food, an invention of
      the devil. Its bad enough that babies drink from bottles but to microwave it
      for convenience as well is disastrous. It may even be the cause of rising
      childhood asthema."

      As for preparation boil nothing. The only exception being silver birch twigs
      which are just coming into leaf. The silver birch cleanses the blood after
      the winter, "Red Indian medicine." This should be simmered as gently as
      possible for half an hour. Once the leaves are out use those. In fact she
      would use almost any part of a plant. "They tell you not to pick plants
      because 'they could harm you' then shovel chemicals in your food. There are
      only 8 or 9 green plants that can harm you in this country (UK)." She did
      seem to have a distrust of mushrooms though. Whether that was farmed
      mushrooms only or not I never found out.

      The only thing I ever saw her dilute was nettle tea for a dog. She halved it
      with water. Children were given the same things as adults and in the same
      strength, even new born babies. Nettles she tore up with her bare hands.
      They were tough from rising early and collecting several times a week.
      Gather a carrier bag full of nettles, I use gardening gauntlets myself. The
      stinging hairs collect dust so I find it best to wash them. (You should have
      seen the dirty look she gave me when I put them under the tap. "What are you
      putting that filth on them for?" "But Heather, they are covered in dust!"
      She shrugged her shoulders and let me get on with it.) Chop then on a board
      to make the tea stronger and put them into the biggest pan you have. Pour on
      boiling water or fill with water and only just bring to the boil and remove
      the heat. Keep a lid on - the essential oils are very important.

      It turns a pale yellowish green after 10 mins and should have a very light
      refreshing taste. Left over night it has a very dark even black green
      colour. This is the only tea I don't put lemon in. It seems to curdle the
      chlorophyll. As I've said, the nettle is the idea of cleanliness made
      life-form and, whereas with anything else the leaves etc can usually be used
      2 or 3 times and, though weaker, some benefit is obtained but in the case of
      the nettle it seems to self-clean its own leaves and I find it insipid if
      used more than once. If it tastes off it is off, so put it on the garden or
      on house plants and not down the sink. Return to the Earth what it has given
      you.

      The first time I tasted nettle it was like a dead weight on my stomach. "You
      really need it then. Drink another pint." A small ailment which I'd had
      since childhood, "bubbles in the legs", disappeared and has never returned.
      The nettle now tastes clean and refreshing to me. Light. Once they start
      dying back after flowering they should not be used. You will see it because
      they turn black and 'mouldy' looking. Once when I was feeling dreadful from
      too much alcolhol the night before ("Absolutely no alcohol." But she
      produced a bottle of sloe wine she'd made herself at Christmas time. She
      never ever mentioned smoking. Her patients usually just did not look for
      cigarettes if they kept to the treatment. It was keeping them too it which
      was frustrating. "The body can be cured but there is no cure for the head!")
      so I drank a pint of silver birch, a pint of nettle and then another silver
      birch, the silver birch with a whole lemon each time, and I was feeling on
      top of the world in no time. I would not recommend it as regular practice
      though, there could easily have been contingent factors.

      Herbs are usually additive, you can put them in together. Her cauldron
      (literally, she had a small cauldron perpetually on the stove) had holly,
      ivy (N.B. British ivy and NOT US poison ivy) crab apples - not too many -
      and heaven knows what always on the go. Elder is a panacea and very good at
      balancing female hormones. Leaves, flowers or berries. The elder is the
      tree of life found in every old church yard with its counterpart the yew, as
      soft as death.

      Couch grass gives you protein. "From spring to autumn all you need buy is
      porridge. You can live easily off the land as long as you have clean water
      and a little carbohydrate. Hawthorn clears blood clots and conditions the
      blood against thromboses. It is not recommended to tell the wife that you
      are going out to look for haws though, she might take it the wrong way. The
      dandelion is also the cure for warts. Put its milky juice on every hour or
      two until they turn black and eventually fall off after a few days. The same
      thing happens with nitrogen freezing as used in surgeries now. "Chamomile is
      the best source of calcium." !! (I don't think you'll find that in any herb
      book.)

      Must go to bed, I'm changing from nightshift to dayshift

      Maurice McCarthy
      maurice.mccarthy@...
      maurice.mccarthy@...