8790Re: Whither any of us?

    Jun 30, 2003
      Bradford comments;

      There are many new departments of research that should be brought
      into the educational life of humanity. Ahrimanic and Luciferic
      symptomology is one that comes to mind. It advances psychology and
      protects the human soul from gross, unconscious errors.

      Another research department, is not merely Obits- But weighing the
      crossing of the Threshold and carrying the ideals and failures, hopes
      and dreams of deeds men have done on earth. The Spiritual world and
      Karma work out the Time in which we live and the future time when
      souls will return to right, face and celebrate in the progress that
      their efforts on Earth made for humanity.

      I mentioned that Mother Teresa and Princess Diana passed the
      threshold around the same moment and much can be gained from such
      observations, considering they had met each other on Earth. I offer
      as a footnote a comtemplation of mutual threshold crossing, that met
      on Earth profound dynamic differences that have left a legacy of
      Spiritual Development in each and every human being. Much can be
      gained by insights and much can be seen in following the spirit past
      the sundering seas. These are Goethean observations within the realm
      of moral spiritual development.

      GREGORY PECK AND STROM THURMOND

      Actor Gregory Peck, who won an Oscar for his portrayal of upstanding
      Southern lawyer Atticus Finch in 1962's "To Kill a Mockingbird," has
      died. He was 87.

      The character of Finch was recently named the No. 1 hero in movie
      history in an American Film Institute survey.

      Peck was best known for roles of dignified statesmen and people who
      followed a strong code of ethics: a magazine reporter confronting
      anti-Semitism in "Gentleman's Agreement"

      But he also could play against type. He was a conflicted father in
      the original "Cape Fear" (1962) and a Nazi in "The Boys From Brazil"
      (1978), the latter against Laurence Olivier's Nazi hunter.

      Gregory Peck in 2000
      "Inside of all the makeup and the character and makeup, it's you, and
      I think that's what the audience is really interested in ... you, how
      you're going to cope with the situation, the obstacles, the troubles
      that the writer put in front of you," he told CNN.

      All told, Peck was nominated for five Academy Awards.
      Besides "Mockingbird," he also was nominated for "The Keys of the
      Kingdom" (1945), "The Yearling" (1946), "Gentleman's Agreement"
      and "Twelve O'Clock High" (1949).

      Peck's life was as dignified as his most notable film roles. He
      served as president of the Motion Picture Academy of Arts and
      Sciences and was active in the Motion Picture and Television Fund,
      American Cancer Society, National Endowment for the Arts and other
      causes. His divorce from his first wife, Greta, was amicable.

      A lifelong liberal activist, he even earned a place on President
      Nixon's enemies list.

      But he played down his own work.

      "I'm not a do-gooder," Peck said after learning of the academy's Jean
      Hersholt humanitarian award in 1968. "It embarrassed me to be
      classified as a humanitarian. I simply take part in activities that I
      believe in."

      'You can collect yourself and do it'

      STROM THURMOND

      http://slate.msn.com/id/2075453/

      "....the Strom of today (what's left of him) is identical to the
      Strom who ran for president in 1948 on the pro-segregationist
      Dixiecrat platform? He is not. Clearly, Thurmond made shrewd
      accommodations late in life to changing times. In the 1970s, he
      became the first Southern senator to hire a black staff aide and to
      sponsor a black man for a federal judgeship. In the 1980s, he voted
      to reauthorize the Voting Rights Act (not because he agreed with it
      but in belated deference to "the common perception that a vote
      against the bill indicates opposition to the right to vote").

      Strom also came to support making the birthday of Martin Luther King
      (about whom he'd once said, "King demeans his race and retards the
      advancement of his people") a federal holiday. Thurmond didn't do
      much else to promote equality among the races, but these token
      gestures were enough to demonstrate that he was no longer the 1948
      Dixiecrat who had said, "There's not enough troops in the Army to
      force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the
      Nigra race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our
      homes, and into our churches." (Pedantic aside: Standard accounts of
      the speech render "Nigra" as "Negro," but when listening to an NPR
      sound clip, Chatterbox wondered whether the word Thurmond uttered
      was "nigger."

      Nor was Thurmond any longer the 1948 Dixiecrat who had invited
      audiences to ponder working for a company or belonging to a union
      forbidden by law to discriminate against blacks. "Think about the
      situation which would exist," he said back then, "when the annual
      office party is held or the union sponsors a dance."

      Nor was Thurmond any longer the 1948 Dixiecrat who, when it was
      revealed that he had invited the governor of the Virgin Islands to
      visit him without knowing that he was black, hastily explained, "I
      would not have written him if I knew he was a Negro. Of course, it
      would have been ridiculous to invite him."

      The quotations cited above demonstrate that Thurmond has quite a lot
      to apologize for. But on those rare occasions when Thurmond can be
      induced to talk about the 1948 campaign at all, his first line of
      defense is usually to misrepresent it.

      "In that race I was just trying to protect the rights of the states
      and the rights of the people," Thurmond insisted to the Washington
      Post's Jim Naughton in 1988. "Some in the news media tried to make it
      a race fight, but it was not that." Around the same time, when
      Thurmond biographer Nadine Cohodas asked him about the "troops in the
      Army" speech, which is Thurmond's only likely future entry in
      Bartlett's, Thurmond responded with "incredulity." When she
      finally "convinced" Thurmond that he'd really said it, all he would
      say was the following: "If I had to run that race again, some of the
      wording I used would not be used. I would word it differently." Early
      in 1991, Thurmond observed, "When I grew up, the black people were
      just all servants. Now they've developed and developed and come up
      and we've got to acknowledge people when they deserve to be
      acknowledged, and the black people deserve to be acknowledged."
      There's no hint in any of these statements that Thurmond believes,
      much less will acknowledge, that his prior policies were morally
      wrong."
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic