7342Re: [anthroposophy] What is an Anthroposophist?

  • Joel Wendt
    Jan 2, 2003
      On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 17:21, 888 wrote:

      > There are many definitions of anthroposophy I've seen over the years-
      > things like "Christian yoga after the coming of Michael", "the Wisdom
      > in Man". But perhaps the best one is to be found in the "Awakening to
      > Community" lectures. I'll have to hunt it out later, but it has to do
      > with the development of the Consciousness Soul. The anthroposophist
      > is one who strives to work out of the Consciousness Soul. That is at
      > least one of the qualities of an real anthroposophist.

      "Anthroposophy is a path of cognition from the spiritual in man to the
      Spiritual in the Cosmos" First Leading Thought. Some translations
      (George Adam's for example) use the term "knowledge" instead of
      "cognition", but the German term is erkennen or erkentnis (sorry about
      the spelling). The problem, as it was explained to me, is that English
      speakers tend to think of "knowledge" as a kind of thing which one can
      receive passively, like through reading a book (thus the love of
      practitioners of Steinerism for the lecture cycles), while "cognition"
      is "active thinking", or as I have come to like to express it "will in
      thinking". Our Italian friend, Andrea, likes to talk about the
      "concentration", which is how Kuhlewind also speaks of it. For
      Americans, we probably need to go to Emerson (see my essay "discovering
      individual insight" which draws Steiner and Emerson together in a
      practical (pragmatic way) at http://ipwebdev.com/hermit/stgfr9.html )

      > Of course, then one must ask what exactly is this Consciousness Soul.
      > Bradford has put up some ideas on the Intellectual or Mind Soul, but
      > I've never seen a lot of clear ideas on the Consciousness Soul. This
      > is surprising considering how much it's talked about.

      Bruce, see my discussion with Br. Ron, also quoted in brief here:
      "This age is not about developing visionary powers, but about unfolding
      individual moral authority through learning to know the good and the
      true with the own thinking activity (remember Steiner fans, what the
      good doctor said about three steps in the moral for each step on the
      path to initiation). We incarnate in this most material of ages for
      just this purpose - we need the rigid structure, and all its
      difficulties, to find our own "I am" as the ground of moral activity
      This accomplishment then becomes an eternal aspect of the "I am" that
      can be carried forward into the next incarnations. All the rest, all
      the intellectual concepts of esoterics and spiritual this and that, is
      superfluous. As Stephen Clarke and I agreed, its all about character,
      which is of course what one finds so admirable and powerful in regard to
      native American spirituality. First you get character, then you study
      the "knowledge" in the mysteries (not the other way around, which so
      many members of the steinerism movement seem to be tripping on)."

      For the Steiner fans, here is the quote from Theosophy:
      "By causing the self-existent true and good to come to life in his inner
      being, the human being raises himself above the mere sentient-soul. A
      light is kindled in her which is imperishable. In so far as the soul
      lives in this light, she is a participant in the eternal. With the
      eternal she unites her own existence. What the soul carries within
      herself of the true and the good is immortal in her. Let us call that
      which shines forth in the soul as eternal, the consciousness-soul."

      Of course, the trick is to know how to do this, how to "cause" the
      self-existent true and good to come to life in our inner being.

      warm regards,
      joel
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic