724Hoffman review on Holocaust-Re: [anthroposophy] "Language Rules"-Thoughtlessness

  • elaine upton
    Apr 2 9:01 AM
      Dear Jo Ann,

      In another post today, I replied to your post on heartfelt thinking and
      language rules. Now, i wish to write about what comes up for me in response
      to the web article, Eve Hoffman's review of the Holocaust Book. I find the
      argument of the book (as presented by the review --and i have not read all
      of the review) to be intricate, indeed. But if I understand the review, the
      book sees political ends in America's peculiar obssession with the
      Holocaust. --OK. That may be so. But another point comes to me, and that is
      that our American obssession with the Holocaust is related to our inability
      or unwillingness to deal with issues of equally tragic proportions right
      here on these shores. Once again, we turn to Europe (as, indeed, does the
      Anthroposophic Society in America, as per some of our recent discussions),
      and fail to look right in front of our noses.

      Since Columbus landed in the Carribean, there has been a kind of holocaust,
      a genocide of the native population. Moreover, for centuries the African
      slave trade was a great shadow of this land, and the shadow remains today,
      several generations past the Civil War.
      We have a Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. Fine and good. Let us
      remember. Let us never forget, as the saying goes. But what about
      remembrance of the genocide of the Native population? What about the very
      U.S. Presidents who supported the campaigns of such as Lt. Colonel George
      Armstrong Custer? What about the populace who stood by? What about the
      Presidents who forced people on the long cold trek known as The Trail of
      Tears, where thousands perished? What about the government who stood by and
      the people who feigned ignorance while Germonimo languished in prison? What
      about today, those of us who stand by, those Attorney Generals who refuse to
      act, those Presidents who refuse to act in the face of the case of Leonard
      Peltier, the native american serving two life sentences that resulted from
      what most admit was a highly bogus trial for the murder of two FBI agents?
      What about the thousands upon thousands of lynchings of black men? What
      about the thousands upon thousands of rapes of black women by white masters
      in slavery?

      Look around? How many black people in this country are purely African (other
      than those who recently come from Africa)? Do people think this race mixing
      typically occured between loving master and happy slave? Some would argue so
      absurdly in the face of Thomas Jefferson's fathering children by the 14 year
      old slave, Sally Heming (right here in my hometown of Charlottesville,
      Virginia)!--How we delude ourselves!!

      So, the American obssession with the Holocaust has many reasons, I am sure.
      I am glad that there is attention to the long shadow cast by that great
      evil. I only wish there were more effort to face our own great shadows,
      right here on these shores. And i wish this, not so that we dwell in
      darkness, but so that we might move from darkness to light.

      Love,
      elaine