718Re: [anthroposophy] "Language Rules"-Thoughtlessness

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Apr 1, 2000
      Hi Elaine,

      This is a partial response to your first post, which held a number of good

      I'm going to skip all the stuff about could we or couldn't we see the evil
      in Eichmann's physiology-- whether via photography or personal
      observation. (Although, for those who are interested in the Holocaust,
      there is an interesting review by Eva Hoffman, "The Uses of Hell," in the
      NY Review of Books (and a tip of the hat to Hilmar, who brought it to my

      http://www.nybooks.com/nyrev/WWWarchdisplay.cgi?20000309019R#top )

      I'm more interested in the questions you ask at the end of your post.

      > . . . what is occuring around/within me about which i am thoughtless,
      > about which i am trapped in mind/heart numbing rules of language,
      > cliches and old ways that entrap me and deaden my heart, my thought?

      In other words: in what ways might I be falling into the Luciferic trap of
      becoming a 'moral automaton'**, unable to freely think from the heart and
      thus find the correct action for THIS situation in which I find myself?
      How often do we fail to "think the unthinkable and bear the unbearable"
      because to do so would violate some group norm, some 'language rule' that
      we have come to accept without questioning??

      After all, is this not the seductive trap of group-think--- that we need
      not *think* at all, but merely accept and obey the wisdom of the group...
      give up individual responsibility (and individual freedom) for the warm,
      comforting embrace of some higher authority... of some vision of the way
      things should be...

      Think of the courage it took for the Japanese Emperor to go against all
      His advisors and centuries of tradition and perhaps even His own
      beliefs.... to listen to His heart and say, "No more." And so to make that
      historic broadcast and tell His people, "The time has come to think the
      unthinkable and bear the unbearable...." To surrender not only His
      country, but His divine nature... to become not a symbol, but an
      individual human being, standing upright in and of himself.

      And so, as you note:
      > ... even what appears as monstrous is a face of God and shall be
      > transformed, redeemed by the whole, by the Love that is, that is in
      > enlivened, heartfelt thinking embrace?

      Only through thinking with our hearts can we escape being "stuck in
      cliches, in old ways, in pre-scribed forms, in obedience to some outer or
      inner seductive monster..." Only through thinking with our hearts can we
      "think the unthinkable and bear the unbearable." Only through thinking
      with our hearts can we hope to become fully human...

      Love & light,

      ** see: http://www.antronet.se/mellett/chiasma.htm and
      http://www.steiner98.org/Archives/moral.html for more on the phenomenon of
      moral behaviorism.