581Re: OK-Re: compassion-Re: our materialistic culture

  • Sarah Cherry
    Mar 1, 2000
      >From: "John Massengale" <john@...>
      >
      > > "compassion" as an emotion. I define it as more than an emotion,
      >far more...
      > > Compassion for me is, as i said, a *deep seeing* of the Divine. That is
      > > objective observation, and that is the only science that matters, spiritual
      > > science included.--
      >
      >From the AOL Merriam Webster Dictionary:
      >
      >com*pas*sion (noun)
      >
      >[Middle English, from Middle French or Late Latin; Middle French, from Late
      >Latin compassion-, compassio, from compati to sympathize, from Latin com- +
      >pati to bear, suffer -- more at PATIENT]
      >
      >First appeared 14th Century
      >
      > : sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to
      >alleviate it
      >
      > synonym see PITY
      >
      > -- com*pas*sion*less (adjective)
      >

      >That sounds like an emotion to me. I understand your point, but I
      >don't think you will find any dictionary
      >that defines "compassion" as a "deep seeing of the divine."

      Somehow I don't think it matters who is "right" about a dictionary
      definition. What is important is how we each think and feel so that
      we can communicate and understand each other. Thank you for
      clarifying your position.

      strength and peace to all,

      Sarah
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic