30Re: The Life of the Earth in Past & Future Dornach, 17.2.23

  • 888
    Mar 21, 1999
      So one must imagine - people say - that the Earth was once a fiery
      fluid body, a fiery body. Then there can have been no life on it,
      otherwise it would, of course, have been burnt up. But the Earth
      gradually cooled. When it had cooled off, it was in a condition to
      receive life, if it had flown to it from the nearest star, as it was
      thought to have done, (taking 40,000 years to do it).

      Now, said the lecturer, one cannot imagine that a germ of life, a tiny
      life-germ, wandered for 40,000 years through cosmic space, which,
      besides, had a temperature of -220 degrees of cold, not heat! And that
      then, when it reached the Earth, life would arise. Before, however
      sufficient germs had flown to the Earth, they would have been burnt up.
      It is further supposed that when the Earth had cooled enough, they would
      thrive, said the speaker but that simply could not be. So we do not know
      whence life comes.

      But we do see that it comes out of cosmic space. We clearly see that, in
      all that lives, it is not merely the forces of the Earth that are at
      work. For we only make use of the forces of the Earth for the Eiffel
      Tower, for instance. And in such a tower as the grass-stalk, it is not
      merely the forces of the Earth, but the forces of the whole cosmos,
      which are at work. And when the Earth was still soft, gentlemen, when
      mica, felspar and silica were liquefied together, then the whole Earth
      was under the influence of the cosmos, and was a gigantic plant.
      Therefore if you go out into the mountains today, and find granite
      there, or gneiss, which is distinct from granite because the mica is
      more plentiful in it , more apparent - if you go out today into the
      mountains, and look at the granite or the gneiss, you are looking at the
      remains of those old plant-formations. The whole Earth was a plant. And
      precisely as, when a plant withers today, it gives up its mineral
      constituents to the earth, so, when it was still a plant, the whole
      terrestrial globe gave up, later, its mineral constituents to the Earth.

      And so we have today the mountain-ranges.

      Thus we may say: The hardest mountain-ranges that exist, had their
      origin in plant-beings, and the whole Earth was a kind of plant.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic