26Re: The Life of the Earth in Past & Future Dornach, 17.2.23

  • 888
    Mar 18, 1999
      We find these constituents today, if we take the clay found anywhere in
      the field. These three materials were at one time mixed in the earth;
      and today they are to be found out in the mountains. If we take a piece
      of granite, we find that it is quite granular, there are splinters in
      it. These splinters are split up mica-flakes. Then there are quite hard
      grains; those are quartz. Then there is the uniting grit, which is
      feldspar. These three substances have been softened and granulated; and
      they are to be found today out in the mountains. They form the
      foundation of the hardest mountain~ranges.

      Thus, ever since the Earth was soft, they have been pounded, ground down
      and mixed by all the various forces which are at work in the earth; and
      today they are disintegrated in the mountains. But the remains of these
      ancient substances, and especially the forces of these ancient
      substances, are still found everywhere in the earth. And out of these
      remains the plants are built up from the Cosmos.

      So we may say: Well, if these cosmic forces do still work out there in
      the mountains, they can do no more. These rocks are crumbled,
      disintegrated, granulated; and they are too hard to become plants. But
      with that which is within the earth, they can still be used to build up
      the plants in cosmic space, especially because a plant always gives its
      most important substances and forces to the germ.

      You see, gentlemen, a study of this kind which takes into consideration
      how the whole Cosmos collaborates with all that is alive, has no place
      in modern Science. Lately, as you have perhaps read, a lecture was given
      in Basle, in which the speaker explained how life must have originated
      on earth. He said: One can hardly imagine that through a mere mingling,
      or chemical compounding, of substances on earth, life can have arisen.
      Then it must have cone out of cosmic space. But how? -

      Now it is interesting to see how a modern scientist imagines that life
      can come out of cosmic space. He says to himself: Well now, if it is not
      on the earth, it must come from other stars. Now, the nearest star,
      which might perhaps at one time have shot forth material which then flew
      to the Earth - the nearest star is so far from the Earth that the
      material which was thus split off, would have needed forty thousand
      years to fly to the Earth.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic