23Re: The Life of the Earth in Past & Future Dornach, 17.2.23

  • elaine m upton
    Mar 15, 1999
      Hello Bruce and all,

      This lecture by R.S. Continues to amaze me.--It reminds me of what Simone
      Weil said about gravity and grace. The Eiffel is under the laws of
      gravity, pulled downward, its source downward. The wheat stalk under the
      inspiration, the flow, the upward surge of grace--that of the entire
      cosmos.

      (Interesting what you say, Bruce, about modern towers and steel. What's
      in steel that would compare to the "silica, quartz, true silic acid"
      Steiner speaks of?)

      Plants--roots grow down=gravity forces. Stalks and the rest of the plant
      grow up--toward the sun.

      Love,

      On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:06:15 +1100 "888" <bhive@...> writes:
      >From: "888" <bhive@...>
      >
      >And so, gentlemen, according to the laws which we, as mechanicians,
      >apply on earth, such a tower must unconditionally fall. For when the
      >wind shakes it, its elastic forces are not such as you can understand
      >according to the laws which mechanicians must observe.
      >
      >Then, if you wanted to put something specially heavy at the top of
      >the
      >Eiffel Tower, you would see that it was impossible. But this tower
      >which is a stalk, has the ear fixed to the top of it, and rocking in
      >the
      >wind. You see, this contradicts all architectural laws.
      >
      >Now, if we examine the material of which the corn-stalk is made, we
      >get,
      >first, wood, that is to say, a woody material; then that which you
      >know
      >as bast. You see that in trees. And what is within this, is now the
      >real
      >building material: silica, quartz, true silicic acid. And it is hard
      >quartz, such as is found in the Alps, and, for example, in granite or
      >gneiss. Thus this quartz forms a complete framework.
      >
      >And besides these, the fourth material is water. This mortar then,
      >made
      >of wood, bast, water and flint, defies all earthly laws. So a blade
      >of
      >grass is also a tower, built entirely out of these materials; it can
      >be
      >rocked in the wind, does not break, rights itself when the wind
      >ceases,
      >calmly regains its position when the weather is favourable. All this
      >you
      >know.
      >
      >But, gentlemen, such forces - forces with which such things can be
      >built
      >out of the earth, are non-existent on the earth, completely
      >non-existent. And if you ask: Well, then, where do these forces come
      >from? the answer must simply be: The Eiffel Tower is dead, the
      >wheat-stalk is alive. But it does not receive its life from the
      >earth;
      >it receives it from the whole cosmic surrounding. Just as gravity
      >only
      >draws the Eiffel Tower downwards, so the stalk grows in such a way
      >that
      >it is not supported from below. - When we build the Eiffel Tower, we
      >must lay one material upon another, and thus the lower does indeed
      >always support the upper. With the wheat-stalk this is not the case;
      >the
      >wheat-stalk is, indeed, drawn out into cosmic space.

      >Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
      >http://www.onelist.com
      >Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site

      or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic