22Re: The Life of the Earth in Past & Future Dornach, 17.2.23

  • 888
    Mar 14 7:06 PM
      And so, gentlemen, according to the laws which we, as mechanicians,
      apply on earth, such a tower must unconditionally fall. For when the
      wind shakes it, its elastic forces are not such as you can understand
      according to the laws which mechanicians must observe.

      Then, if you wanted to put something specially heavy at the top of the
      Eiffel Tower, you would see that it was impossible. But this tower
      which is a stalk, has the ear fixed to the top of it, and rocking in the
      wind. You see, this contradicts all architectural laws.

      Now, if we examine the material of which the corn-stalk is made, we get,
      first, wood, that is to say, a woody material; then that which you know
      as bast. You see that in trees. And what is within this, is now the real
      building material: silica, quartz, true silicic acid. And it is hard
      quartz, such as is found in the Alps, and, for example, in granite or
      gneiss. Thus this quartz forms a complete framework.

      And besides these, the fourth material is water. This mortar then, made
      of wood, bast, water and flint, defies all earthly laws. So a blade of
      grass is also a tower, built entirely out of these materials; it can be
      rocked in the wind, does not break, rights itself when the wind ceases,
      calmly regains its position when the weather is favourable. All this you
      know.

      But, gentlemen, such forces - forces with which such things can be built
      out of the earth, are non-existent on the earth, completely
      non-existent. And if you ask: Well, then, where do these forces come
      from? the answer must simply be: The Eiffel Tower is dead, the
      wheat-stalk is alive. But it does not receive its life from the earth;
      it receives it from the whole cosmic surrounding. Just as gravity only
      draws the Eiffel Tower downwards, so the stalk grows in such a way that
      it is not supported from below. - When we build the Eiffel Tower, we
      must lay one material upon another, and thus the lower does indeed
      always support the upper. With the wheat-stalk this is not the case; the
      wheat-stalk is, indeed, drawn out into cosmic space.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic