17964Re: marie steiner quotation: receive the child in reverence

    Dec 2, 2008

      for the child presents a problem set us by divine worlds

      Each child in every age brings something new into the world from divine regions, and it is our task as educators to remove bodily and psychical obstacles out of its way; to remove hindrances so that his spirit may enter in full freedom into life.

      marie steiner quotation: receive the child in reverence

      http://wn.rsarchive.org/Education/19220819p01.html

      GA0305 Spiritual Ground of Education IV

      If we have received the child in religious reverence, if we have educated him in love up to the time of puberty, then our proper course after this will be to leave the youth's spirit free, and to hold intercourse with him on terms of equality. We aim, — that is not to touch the spirit but to let it be awakened. When the child reaches puberty we shall best attain our aim of giving the child over to free use of his intellectual and spiritual powers if we respect the spirit and say to ourselves: you can remove hindrances from the spirit, physical hindrances and also, up to a point, hindrances of the soul. What the spirit has to learn it learns because you have removed the impediments. If we remove impediments the spirit will develop in contact with life itself even in very early youth. Our rightful place as educators is to be removers of hindrances.

      Hence we must see to it that we do not make the children into copies of ourselves, that we do not seek forcibly and tyrannically to perpetuate what was in ourselves in those who in the natural course of things develop beyond us. Each child in every age brings something new into the world from divine regions, and it is our task as educators to remove bodily and psychical obstacles out of its way; to remove hindrances so that his spirit may enter in full freedom into life. These then must be regarded as the three golden rules of the art of education, rules which must imbue the teacher's whole attitude and all the impulse of his work. The golden rules which must be embraced by the teacher's whole being, not held as theory, are: reverent gratitude to the world in the person of the child which we contemplate every day, for the child presents a problem set us by divine worlds: Thankfulness to the universe. Love for what we have to do with the child. Respect for the freedom of the child — a freedom we must not endanger; for it is to this freedom we educate the child, that he may stand in freedom in the world at our side.

      Bradford comments;

      Nobody's perfect, I certainly wasn't the best Father in my opinion.  I had a later crack at being a Waldorf Teacher and it was during these years that the above statements become livingly natural, as a guardian and stand and go between the child and their angel, the teacher, a human example, of sorts, flawed, but knowing where the intuition and where the depths and lines that point to the objective foundations of the world are, not materialism, but understanding the  objective foundations of matter and spirit and the human child before me, all of them richly became clearer in temperament, family bio and the unique mystery.  And so I was taught by listening to the seed buds of intuition, answer questions that neither my parents or teachers ever answered save through some dogma..  Creative questions were asked, seed buds of intuition and higher flashes of thought, were promoted and grown in the little green house of the class room.... I had very little trouble being both warm, passionate, and objective about the actual foundations and goals of the human body, soul and fresh new  spirit before me.  There was nothing stale about the real living beings before me and my observations, thanks to Spiritual Science, would never tire of grasping richer and newer riddles that make the individual parth of the fathomless depth of Time and the i am.

      "....for the child presents a problem set us by divine worlds"  Oh but to understand and ask this question, here is a little incarnated mystery...each child before me is a star woven, time being, each with its little navigational star thinking and unfolding human destiny and karma...and the Angels are weaving in these delicate foundations and in these delicate warm relationships.  They have chosen these their parents...and these children will grow in a short 12 year Jupiter span, into bearers of thought, love, light and also must, if possible, be able to connect what they see and hear, what their skills are, to the deepest wisdom and foundations of humanness and human spirituality, that radiates as a human substance, a qualified and specialized human substance in laugh, in tone of voice, in our returned understanding and confidence, in raying out the sunlight of human warmth and vision, and wholesome intuition into the depth of being, so they see and hear such an example as a human being who does understand and who shares the depth of humaness and courage and joy as daily bread.  As daily bread as living life shaping forces arising right out of the class room.

      We learn from everyone, every human being and every human biography and each riddle and astonished person we meet, astonishes us with wonder grown richer from understanding the real living forces condensed before our gaze.  And once we get in the swing of seeing the deeper riddles that each person poses, we learn to be attentive and be prepared to understand the star rhythms and biographical time lines, the shadows, the catharsis and the trials as something even more potent and more hidden and waiting to come forth to grow the soul itself.  We never stop learning because the wonder of the astonishing riddle that the divine world has placed before us, in living mystery, before our gaze..  And our strength to see more we owe to everyone who crosses our path, and with every challenge... ours is to know and grasp the deeper blueprints of any human being and the individual karmic workings of how man and felow humans are placed in the swirling sea of Time in the ZeitGeist...and these are our lesson plans, these are the studies, the Michaelangelo sculptures in solid flesh and etheric ethnic riches, astral gifts and intuitive responses that resound like rich riddles and echos back to us...

      And one shall never, never forget some of the key realities that echo from Steiner's call of The Angels Work in the Astral Body of Man and just exactly is meant at how the Angels require us to look at each revelation of our fellow human beings before us.  It is the requirement of the Angels to Us and it is the requirement of Us to the Children, friends and karmic relations we encounter...even strangers who shall and cannot be stranger at all even in our chance encounters there is wisdom.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic