17960Re: marie steiner quotation: receive the child in reverence

  • carol
    Dec 2, 2008
      RS: «..Thankfulness to the universe. Love for what we have to do with
      the child. Respect for the freedom of the child — a freedom we must
      not endanger; for it is to this freedom we educate the child, that he
      may stand in freedom in the world at our side.»

      Now that I have the children I raised, standing at 'my sides', I
      understand the meaning of these words, more than ever.

      I have never understood how a parent could come to forfeit unconditional
      love and will to listen and understanding, in exchange for demanding of
      their children, mere obedience to the parent's self imposed and
      unrecognized personal restrictions and materialistic preoccupations.
      I've especially experienced a feeling of silent horror in witnessing
      this happen, when it occurs within the family dynamics involving my
      own blood relations. (The closer this dynamic touches me, the more it
      moves me).

      I can't say that I can currently boast absolute freedom in terms of my
      children's ability to actively pursue a 'conscious' scientific spiritual
      education at the present moment but I do know that they are very much
      able to maintain a pretty steady footing, in their respective regions of
      soul where overall moral standing is involved, where it keeps watch
      over their overall social interactions, political visions, philosophic
      sensitivities etc.

      And, in direct relation to this, it allows ME, their 'receeding' aging
      former adult guide, to allow them to experiment with 'adult style'
      understanding and listening towards me, in pretty much the same
      unrestricted 'light' which they, themselves were raised in.

      Soul approaching soul - once a certain age is achieved, the parent/child
      dynamic gains the quality of becoming truly reciprocal.

      Carol.

      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "val2160" <wdenval@...> wrote:

      > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Education/19220819p01.html
      >

      > GA0305 Spiritual Ground of Education IV
      >
      > If we have received the child in religious reverence, if we have
      > educated him in love up to the time of puberty, then our proper course
      > after this will be to leave the youth's spirit free, and to hold
      > intercourse with him on terms of equality. We aim, — that is not
      > touch the spirit but to let it be awakened. When the child reaches
      > puberty we shall best attain our aim of giving the child over to free
      > use of his intellectual and spiritual powers if we respect the spirit
      > and say to ourselves: you can remove hindrances from the spirit,
      > physical hindrances and also, up to a point, hindrances of the soul.
      > What the spirit has to learn it learns because you have removed the
      > impediments. If we remove impediments the spirit will develop in
      contact
      > with life itself even in very early youth. Our rightful place as
      > educators is to be removers of hindrances.
      >
      > Hence we must see to it that we do not make the children into copies
      of
      > ourselves, that we do not seek forcibly and tyrannically to perpetuate
      > what was in ourselves in those who in the natural course of things
      > develop beyond us. Each child in every age brings something new into
      the
      > world from divine regions, and it is our task as educators to remove
      > bodily and psychical obstacles out of its way; to remove hindrances so
      > that his spirit may enter in full freedom into life. These then must
      be
      > regarded as the three golden rules of the art of education, rules
      which
      > must imbue the teacher's whole attitude and all the impulse of his
      work.
      > The golden rules which must be embraced by the teacher's whole being,
      > not held as theory, are: reverent gratitude to the world in the person
      > of the child which we contemplate every day, for the child presents a
      > problem set us by divine worlds: Thankfulness to the universe. Love
      for
      > what we have to do with the child. Respect for the freedom of the
      child
      > — a freedom we must not endanger; for it is to this freedom we
      > educate the child, that he may stand in freedom in the world at our
      > side.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic