15991Re: RS re Providence

  • Robert Mason
    Apr 6, 2008
      Jean-Marc wrote:

      >>As far as the Anthros are concerned, I
      believe their "despair" (if any!) is and will
      be utterly legitimate and equitable --- as long
      as, individually and collectively, they cannot
      - in all conscience! - call the gods to witness
      that *they did what they had to do*...to the
      full extent of their capacities.

      >>For instance, Rudolf Steiner clearly said
      that the Second Coming of Christ was --- *the
      greatest event!* --- of the 20th century. To
      your knowledge, did myriads of Anthroposophists
      collectively manage to attain a clear, coherent
      and consensual, understanding of this capital
      spiritual event, in the course of the last 80
      years or so? If not --- how were they supposed
      to enlighten Mankind about this event?...<<

      Robert writes:

      To my knowledge? -- I suppose that I don't have
      much "knowledge" of what "myriads" of Anthros
      have or haven't understood. I have had little
      experience of Anthros; almost all of that has
      been here in English cyberspace. Most of the
      myriads, I suppose, aren't "here". I would
      guess that most of the myriads have at least
      read Steiner's proclamation of the 2nd Coming,
      but haven't experienced it directly, the way he
      described (as I have not).

      As for failure to do all that we could do for
      Anthroposphy: I accept that one might rightly
      feel sadness, even some guilt, about one's own
      failure to do everything "to the full extent of
      one's capacities" (as I do), but if such
      consciousness of failure develops into despair
      -- then it can be crippling in itself. Failure
      leads to despair, which leads to more failure,
      which leads to more despair . . . a downward
      spiral, which helps nobody.

      But I was speaking not so much of despair over
      personal failures as despair over the failures
      of the larger Anthro Movement and over the
      course of world events. My "thought" was a
      hint that such despair is never justified; it
      is a feeling that might follow only from a
      misapprehension of the basic facts of Reality.

      Anyway, despair is crippling; it doesn't help
      oneself; it helps nothing and no-one. Steiner
      said: "[the student] says to himself: 'I will
      summon all my strength to do my work as well as
      I possibly can.' And he suppresses the thought
      which makes him faint-hearted; for he knows
      that this very thought might be the cause of a
      worse performance on his part, and that in any
      case it cannot contribute to the improvement of
      his work. And thus thought after thought, each
      fraught with advantage to his whole life, flows
      into the student's outlook. They take the place
      of those that had a hampering, weakening
      effect. He begins to steer his own ship on a
      secure course through the waves of life,
      whereas it was formerly battered to and fro by
      these waves."

      The voice of experience (about despair, I
      mean),

      Robert M