1528Re: Ancient principles still viable today:

  • arthra999@yahoo.com
    Dec 1, 2000
      Bruce:

      Thanks for sharing from Steiner's commentary of Patanjali, I
      hadn't read it before!

      Steiner wrote:A person whose money is
      > invested in distilleries without his knowing it, is just as much
      guilty
      > as the manufacturer who distils liquors. The fact of not
      knowing does
      > not change the Karma. But if you are rich your possibility of
      hurting
      > others is lessened in the proportion in which you strive after
      > frugality.

      Could we apply this to many of us whose funds are used to
      exploit or pollute the environment and are persaonally unaware
      of it? He emphasis "frugality" which is very wise and minimally
      impacts the environment and balance or wheel of life.

      - Art

      --- In anthroposophy@egroups.com, "888" <bhive@a...> wrote:
      > >30. Ahimsa (non-injury), Satya (truth), Asteya (abstention from
      > >stealing), Brahmacharya (continence) and Aparigraha
      > >(abstinence from avariciousness) are the five Yamas (forms
      of
      > >restraint).
      >
      > Hi Arthur,
      > It is interesting that Pantanjali makes this distinction
      > between wealth and theft:
      >
      > "When abstinence from theft, in mind and act, is complete in
      the Yogee,
      > he has the power to obtain all material wealth."
      >
      > Rudolf Steiner gives the broader definition of stealing in his
      summing
      > up of Yama:
      >
      > "Yama includes everything which has to be given up by one
      who wishes to
      > go through a yoga training, and its precepts we find more fully
      > expressed in the commandments: Non-lying, non-killing,
      non-stealing,
      > non-extravagance, and non-desiring. The commandment
      'non-killing' is a
      > very strict one, and holds good for all beings. No living being
      may be
      > killed, or even injured, and the more strictly this is kept, the
      further
      > the student is brought. It is beside the question to ask if this
      can be
      > carried out in our civilization.
      >
      > 'Non-lying' is easier to understand when it is kept in mind that
      every
      > lie is a murder on the astral plane.
      >
      > 'Non-stealing': That must also be carried out in its strictest
      sense. A
      > European may say he is not stealing, but in the eyes of the
      oriental
      > yogi the matter is not so lightly disposed of. In the countries
      where
      > these precepts were first divulged by the great teachers of
      humanity,
      > the conditions of life were much simpler, and the principle of
      theft
      > could easily be fixed. But a yoga teacher would not agree that a
      > European does not steal. If, for example, I appropriate in an
      unlawful
      > way the working power of another person, if I procure a profit
      for
      > myself, a profit that is permitted by law but that means the
      > exploitation of another person, the yoga teacher will call that
      > 'stealing.' Our ways of life are complicated. Many transgress
      this
      > commandment without being in any way aware of having done
      so.

      > 'Non-extravagance' is just as complicated. A person whose
      money is
      > invested in distilleries without his knowing it, is just as much
      guilty
      > as the manufacturer who distils liquors. The fact of not
      knowing does
      > not change the Karma. But if you are rich your possibility of
      hurting
      > others is lessened in the proportion in which you strive after
      > frugality.
      >
      > 'Non-desiring' is very difficult. It implies striving to be without
      any
      > wants whatever; approaching the world without a single desire,
      and
      > merely doing what is demanded of us by the outer world. Even
      the feeling
      > of satisfaction in bestowing benefits must be suppressed. In
      the yoga
      > teachings Yama is enforced with the utmost severity, and
      cannot, as it
      > is now taught, be transplanted to Europe."
      >
      > Kind Regards,
      > Bruce
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic