1520Re: Ancient principles still viable today:

  • arthra999@yahoo.com
    Nov 30, 2000
      Thanks Elaine.

      I have to confess being new to Steiner and Anthroposophy. As
      someone better read in the anthroposophic tradition, point me in
      the right direction here as to what to consult in Steiner's works.

      It would seem to me though from my own study that these root
      ethical teachings are basic to the spiritual, philosophic path.

      To me the Ten Commandments while they contain much of the
      Yamas as described by Patanjali are not as inclusive as they are
      in the framework of a patriarchical, montheistic or henotheistic
      religion. The Yamas on the other hand are not rootedso much in
      belief as in behavior.

      The Sermon on the Mount seems to me to extend the Ten
      Commandments and make them more inclusive.

      They are often slighted or overlooked or seen as elementary
      when they are really fundamental.

      I'm closer to the Yoga tradition as I practise daily.

      Apologies Elaine if this appears inappropriate to an
      Anthroposophic list.

      - Art

      --- In anthroposophy@egroups.com, "elaine upton"
      <elaineupton@h...> wrote:
      > Ok, anthra--say these ancient principles (ahimsa, satya,
      asteya,
      > brahmcharya, etc.) are still viable today. But how do they speak
      to us on an
      > anthroposophy list? This is an "anthroposophy list"--smile.
      >
      > I could also say that The Ten Commandments or the Eight
      Noble Truths of
      > Buddhism (which Steiner used) are still viable today. But does
      anthroposophy
      > help us to understand these today in a new (or a new-old)
      light?

      > Be well (with ahimsa and all),
      > elaine

      http://explorer.msn.com