11832Re: Sophia and Religous sentiments

  • Steve Hale
    Nov 8, 2006
      <holderlin66@...> wrote:

      > Holderlin brought about Giordano Bruno:
      >
      > "Bruno answered the sentence of death by fire with the
      > threatening: "Perhaps you, my judges, pronounce this sentence
      > against me with greater fear than I receive it." He was given eight
      > more clays to see whether he would repent. But it was no use. He
      was
      > taken to the stake and as he was dying a crucifix was presented to
      > him, but he pushed it away with fierce scorn."
      >
      > Bradford comments;
      >
      > "...as he was dying a crucifix was presented to him, but he pushed
      > it away with fierce scorn."

      Before Bruno was staked, preceded by the Maid of Orleans, and then
      by the last Grand Master of the Templars, DeMolay, all of whom
      represent a sacrificial progression in spiritual-evolutionary
      history, we can find a quite seminal occasion wherein a very decent
      man was brought up on charges of corrupting young minds and also not
      observing the so-called "religious novelties" of his time; tsk tsk.
      Well, this would be Socrates, who could be considered to be the
      grand master of the Greek era of philosophical deduction.

      As such, he was brought before the city council of Athens with the
      aforesaid charges, and sentenced to pay 30 mina as a fine, which was
      a respectable amount but not overwhelming. Well, guess what?
      Instead of amicably quiescing and paying the fine, he told them
      something entirely unexpected. He told them that they should be the
      ones to pay the fine on his behalf! And why? Because he had been a
      faithful servant of Athenian society his whole life, which the
      historical record does, in fact, verify.

      Unfortunately, much in the same way that Stephen invoked the wrath
      of the Sanhedrin, Socrates impunity got his sentence upgraded to
      death, and so it was that he drank the hemlock once the sacred ship
      returned to port.

      Socrates greatness concerns the fact that he got the young minds to
      look inwardly for the very first time, in anticipation of something
      very great coming down the road.