11413Re: Samples of the Intellectual Soul

    Sep 12, 2006
      Check out the video on your computer. If Keith Olbermann is not
      murdered, because he has now crystallized in his intellectual soul,
      once again, the moral force that are latent to the intellectual soul
      when Ahrimanic forces are not Karl Roving and Cheneyizing, they are
      honest and good. Rod Serling the earliest voice of the Consciousness
      Soul in 50's and 60's America and previously Edward R. M. the moral
      rock of the Media foundations. Olbermann continues to voice the
      reality behind the hype and this usually causes death. Cindy Sheehan
      could not have done better.

      http://www.smirkingchimp.com/node/432#comment-3335

      Full Transcript:

      And lastly tonight a Special Comment on why we are here. Half a
      lifetime ago, I worked in this now-empty space.

      And for 40 days after the attacks, I worked here again, trying to
      make sense of what happened, and was yet to happen, as a reporter.

      And all the time, I knew that the very air I breathed contained the
      remains of thousands of people, including four of my friends, two in
      the planes and — as I discovered from those "missing posters" seared
      still into my soul — two more in the Towers.

      And I knew too, that this was the pyre for hundreds of New York
      policemen and firemen, of whom my family can claim half a dozen or
      more, as our ancestors.

      I belabor this to emphasize that, for me… this was, and is, and
      always shall be, personal.

      And anyone who claims that I and others like me are "soft", or
      have "forgotten" the lessons of what happened here — is at best a
      grasping, opportunistic, dilettante — and at worst, an idiot —
      whether he is a commentator, or a Vice President, or a President.

      However. Of all the things those of us who were here five years ago
      could have forecast — of all the nightmares that unfolded before our
      eyes, and the others that unfolded only in our minds… none of us
      could have predicted… this.

      Five years later this space… is still empty.

      Five years later there is no Memorial to the dead.

      Five years later there is no building rising to show with proud
      defiance that we would not have our America wrung from us, by
      cowards and criminals.

      Five years later this country's wound is still open.

      Five years… later this country's mass grave is still unmarked.

      Five years later… this is still… just a background for a photo-op.

      It is beyond shameful.

      At the dedication of the Gettysburg Memorial — barely four months
      after the last soldier staggered from another Pennsylvania field,
      Mr. Lincoln said "we can not dedicate - we can not consecrate — we
      can not hallow — this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who
      struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add
      or detract."

      Lincoln used those words to immortalize their sacrifice.

      Today our leaders could use those same words to rationalize their
      reprehensible inaction. "We can nto dedicate — we can not
      consecrate — we can not hallow — this ground." So we won't.

      Instead they bicker and buck-pass. They thwart private efforts, and
      jostle to claim credit for initiatives that go nowhere. They spend
      the money on irrelevant wars, and elaborate self-congratulations,
      and buying off columnists to write how good a job they're doing —
      instead of doing any job at all.

      Five years later, Mr. Bush… we are still fighting the terrorists on
      these streets. And look carefully, sir — on these 16 empty acres,
      the terrorists… are clearly, still winning.

      And, in a crime against every victim here and every patriotic
      sentiment you mouthed but did not enact, you have done nothing about
      it.

      And there is something worse still than this vast gaping hole in
      this city, and in the fabric of our nation.

      There is, its symbolism — of the promise unfulfilled, the urgent
      oath, reduced to lazy execution.

      The only positive on 9/11 and the days and weeks that so slowly and
      painfully followed it… was the unanimous humanity, here, and
      throughout the country. The government, the President in particular,
      was given every possible measure of support.

      Those who did not belong to his party — tabled that.

      Those who doubted the mechanics of his election — ignored that.

      Those who wondered of his qualifications — forgot that.

      History teaches us that nearly unanimous support of a government
      cannot be taken away from that government, by its critics.

      It can only be squandered by those who use it not to heal a nation's
      wounds, but to take political advantage.

      Terrorists did not come and steal our newly-regained sense of being
      American first, and political, fiftieth. Nor did the Democrats. Nor
      did the media. Nor did the people.

      The President — and those around him — did that.

      They promised bi-partisanship, and then showed that to them, "bi-
      partisanship" meant that their party would rule and the rest would
      have to follow, or be branded, with ever-escalating hysteria, as
      morally or intellectually confused; as appeasers; as those who, in
      the Vice President's words yesterday, "validate the strategy of the
      terrorists."

      They promised protection, and then showed that to them "protection"
      meant going to war against a despot whose hand they had once shaken…
      a despot who we now learn from our own Senate Intelligence
      Committee, hated Al-Qaeda as much as we did.

      The polite phrase for how so many of us were duped into supporting a
      war, on the false premise that it had 'something to do' with 9/11,
      is "lying by implication."

      The impolite phrase, is "impeachable offense."

      Not once in now five years has this President ever offered to assume
      responsibility for the failures that led to this empty space… and to
      this, the current, curdled, version of our beloved country.

      Still, there is a last snapping flame from a final candle of respect
      and fairness: even his most virulent critics have never suggested he
      alone bears the full brunt of the blame for 9/11.

      Half the time, in fact, this President has been so gently treated,
      that he has seemed not even to be the man most responsible — for
      anything — in his own administration.

      Yet what is happening this very night?

      A mini-series, created, influenced — possibly financed by — the most
      radical and cold of domestic political Machiavellis, continues to be
      televised into our homes.

      The documented truths of the last fifteen years are replaced by bald-
      faced lies; the talking points of the current regime parroted; the
      whole sorry story blurred, by spin, to make the party out of office
      seem vacillating and impotent, and the party in office, seem like
      the only option.

      How dare you, Mr. President, after taking cynical advantage of the
      unanimity and love, and transmuting it into fraudulent war and
      needless death… after monstrously transforming it into fear and
      suspicion and turning that fear into the campaign slogan of three
      elections… how dare you or those around you… ever "spin" 9/11.

      Just as the terrorists have succeeded — are still succeeding — as
      long as there is no memorial and no construction here at Ground Zero…

      So too have they succeeded, and are still succeeding — as long as
      this government uses 9/11 as a wedge to pit Americans against
      Americans.

      This is an odd point to cite a television program, especially one
      from March of 1960. But as Disney's continuing sell-out of the truth
      (and this country) suggests, even television programs can be
      powerful things.

      And long ago, a series called "The Twilight Zone" broadcast a
      riveting episode entitled "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street."

      In brief: a meteor sparks rumors of an invasion by extra-
      terrestrials disguised as humans. The electricity goes out. A
      neighbor pleads for calm.

      Suddenly his car — and only his car — starts. Someone suggests he
      must be the alien. Then another man's lights go on.

      As charges and suspicion and panic overtake the street, guns are
      inevitably produced.

      An "alien" is shot — but he turns out to be just another neighbor,
      returning from going for help.

      The camera pulls back to a near-by hill, where two extra-
      terrestrials areseen, manipulating a small device that can jam
      electricity. The veteran tells his novice that there's no need to
      actually attack, that you just turn off a few of the human machines
      and then, "they pick the most dangerous enemy they can find, and
      it's themselves."

      And then, in perhaps his finest piece of writing, Rod Serling sums
      it up with words of remarkable prescience, given where we find
      ourselves tonight.

      "The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and
      explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts,
      attitudes, prejudices - to be found only in the minds of men.

      "For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and
      a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all
      its own — for the children, and the children yet unborn."

      When those who dissent are told time and time again — as we will be,
      if not tonight by the President, then tomorrow by his portable
      public chorus — that he is preserving our freedom, but that if we
      use any of it, we are somehow un-American…

      When we are scolded, that if we merely question, we have "forgotten
      the lessons of 9/11"… look into this empty space behind me and the
      bi-partisanship upon which this administration also did not build,
      and tell me:

      Who has left this hole in the ground?

      We have not forgotten, Mr. President.

      You have.