10934Re: [anthroposophy] Fire of Righteousness

  • earlyfire@earthlink.net
    Feb 23, 2005
      Dear Mark,
      Thank you for reminding that flame is potentially advarsarial to the anchor of honesty. Flame, in literary and poetic domain and nuance is not merely perceptual, but rather allegorical, and in Earlyfire's desire to invoke the overtones of this experience, to enter a realm of imaginative consciousness, brings to mind the astral qualities of eagerness, zeal, flair. Steiner himself compares the colorful peacock feathers to this realm in his description of the station of the second degree of initiation; and though imagination only reluctantly consents to allow itself to be compressed into description, it is worth noting that any aspiration to higher consciousness "looks forward to incandescence, to catharsis, to the burning away of veils, veils of vehemance, dogma, interest in formularistic compacting, and in overcrystallizing of knowledge from the river of experience.

      Here again, Steiner, in his description of the ascent to Inspired Cognition which will enter onstage and preoccupy humanity throughout the yet-unborn-and-predestined theater of future Jupiter, forgetting, 'unholding-fast', dispossession of opinions and structures and scaffoldings of knowledge is essential, is a sine-qua-non to entering, or rather, to being invited and welcomed gracelike into the flow and swirl and rush of Macrocosmic thought which is the source of blessings and bestowals for the healing of the world, and is brought down by initiates consciously and artists often both intentionally, whether consciously or unconsciously.

      Finally, by way of bridge-building which links the esoteric bonds 'twixt all mystery schools, an endeavor every student in Michael's School will cherish, we touch down into the ancient Kabal, particularly in the upgraded more modern consciousness-soul adaptation of Kabal which in Poland appear in the 17th century Baal-Shem-Tov's Hasidic teaching. (See Buber's "Tales of the Hasidism" to fill in your history). And so we hear of the word "Hitlahavut", literally, "the burning", which refers to the searing away of veils of ignorance and obsession with dross of desire (Steiner's term "Achamod" which pollutes purity of intention in the astral, and the essential siren-like seduction of Lucifer in Paradise). Earlier on it appears as the imagination in the Druid's Cauldron (Ceridwen). is referred to as "Hitlahavut". It was not for academic prowess that RS describes the element of warmth as having both physical and spiritual interface within the domain of human access and experience.

      And thus our brief preface is ended. Your well taken point, is that fire, if manifested selfishly and bereft of anchor, that is to say, of grounding, responsible love, potentially can sabotage the development of the stability, the abiding moral steadfastness of the would-be initiate, to perform the Christ-Act, to retraverse the descent of the Word becoming Flesh within the individuals authored deeds. Listen to the Credo movement of Mozart's Grand Mass in C-Minor, to phenomenologically acquire first-hand experience of this descent, and hear it musically translated, and so be privy to what this anchoring looks, "steadfasting" act presences itself, not as knowledge, as in the husk of words, but rather as Living Process, as movement, i.e., as Inspired Cognition.

      Another welcome warning now comes to mind: Steiner remarks that after death, one must carry the stabilizing Christ Impulse out into the starry worlds, to accompany Luciferic expansiveness, and that, we add, in the dialogue between illumination and modesty, in the far reaches of light and the silent holy still-water-runs-deep depths of the Christ, we experience the inbreathing and outbreathing of our celestial growth.............

      In this respect, your polarization of flame and downright honesty, if not harmonized, participates in the ever-present challenge of balancing, of coordinating Christ and Lucifer influence, both down in the Mortal Here and beyond Cosmic Everywhere. But here, another startling realization crops into awareness: Remember also that Steiner mentions that the primary characteristic of the initiate (which we have intuitive grounds to suspect connotes fourth degree and above), is that he/she is able to participate in activities, in, - what shall we source to "describe" the first-hand experience - to participate and dialogue and to "Celestially Metabolize", the Macrocosm without numbed will, the released will which matures when, no longer drawn into a drunken stupor of desire, and desire's coagulated agenda most Ahrimanic (recall" Ahriman being the karma of Lucifer"), is free to touch and embrace the Holy, without the least trace of impulse to possess.

      For before the labors of Jupiter can "hatch" in our awareness as a tangivle field of activity and intention and aspiration, possession will have to cease being 9/10th of the law. This tyrannical gravitylike vortex to amass and influence, to turf, so characteristic to the operation of the animal kingdom's intractable instinct, will have been divested of authority and dominion as an operative in human affairs.

      For those who wish to carry this thought one step further, this deed, this liberation, esoterically corresponds with the reacquisition of men to photosynthesize food from light, and the freeing up of the plant kingdom from the slavery of this responsibility now necessary...........

      Expanding this perspective, one reads in the Seven Valleys, "Knowledge is the last plane of limitation", and in Morya's teaching "Just as the leaves are the messengers of the wind, and the snow the ambassador of the cold, so also the word is the husk from the breath of a creative thought." So it begins to dawn upon us, one must eventually become downright honest and inquire what lies beyond these planes, what Living Invitation indwells, and points to and leads us via Honest FirstHand Experience beyond the corral of words and ideas?

      Thus, though it seems perhaps altogether redundant to retrace the obvious, one must remind oneself that it is all-too-widely and tragically observed that many Anthroposophists are beholden only to the devoted embrace of second-hand knowledge, and crave, most magnetically vortexlike crave acquiring "Steiner-hand-Me-Downs" of eruditely mimic'd, of what we unmockingly refer to as imitative or "Chimp'd" Templates. As though Anthroposophy were a commodity, an acquireable asset. These are, alas those who have not yet risen to the adventure of considering what will happen by employing Steiner's magnificent and lucid and comprehensive esoteric scaffoldings in aspirations which lead to confident maturation of Imaginative, Inspired and Intuitive powers and responsibilities.

      And so the ability to distinguish the presence of Anthroposophia (self-knowledging) from its fruits which are scaffoldings of Anthroposophy, is essential to any discussion of self-knowledge. Put another way, or so to us it seems that Anthroposophia indwells heart-space, mentoring, tutoring, inspiring consciousness which we identify as the very intent and essence of what has become known as Goethean conversation. And it is a most holy, most intimate dialogue, through which one is enabled to author first-hand out of the consciousness soul. "Conversation" Goethe mentions in connection with two interesting statements which precede it ("What's more valuable than Gold? Light. Whats more valuable than Light;more valuable than gold, and responds: "Conversation", to which we whisper, conversation is the act of uncovering, unravelling, revealing, => "bringing to light", the same we recognize as the exercise of responsible artistic license, or "Authority" (Arthur=Author).

      As to Joel's notion that
      Anthroposophy is
      "Precisely not like or inclusive of all other spiritual ways,
      but rather something very specific and distinct.", we suggest that Michaelic Activity
      of which AP is but one echo, invites, even demands that connections between esoteric
      language and conceptual architecture burst open the aristocratic ghetto of this exotic, stupendous vocabulary,
      and utilizing fresh imagination build creative connections beyond the autistic isolation of its terminology,
      and jouyously and courageously debut into the stream of the world's spiritual impulses at large.

      Failing such gemut, it is possible to remain esoterically autistic, which is to say, to be an Anthroposophist
      yet and not be worthy of the Michael School..........

      Warm Regards,
      Harvey Bornfield