Re: [anosmia] Re: Detecting Rubbing Alcohol

  • Mick O'Hare
    Message 1 of 69 , Sep 1, 2009
      Coming late to this, but rubbing alcohol (or methylated spirits as it's
      known in the UK) also has an added odour to identify it so it can operate as
      an olfactory agent. Admittedly, it would be difficult for anybody to know
      which they were detecting especially with impaired function.

      Mick

      On 28/08/2009 09:28, "Jan Anosmia Group" <janpinf@...> wrote:

      > Agreed Karl.
      >
      > Testing an olfactory sense of smell with alcohol is a complete nonsense.
      >
      > Jan
      >

      > --- In anosmia@yahoogroups.com, "Wuensch, Karl L" <WuenschK@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> He said my sense of smell is not gone. He had me smell rubbing alcohol to
      >> prove his point. Just really faint right now.
      >>

      >> Hmmm, skeptical Karl is thinking that a completely anosmic person should be
      >> able to detect rubbing alcohol through the trigeminal sense. What say you,
      >> Jan?
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >>
      >> Karl W.
      >> ________________________________

      r===================== DISCLAIMER ======================
      This message is intended only for the use of the person(s)
      ("Intended Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain
      information, which is privileged and confidential. Accordingly
      any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this
      message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended
      Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is
      strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please
      contact the sender as soon as possible.

      Reed Business Information Limited.
      Registered Office: Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5AS, UK.
      Registered in England under Company No. 151537

    • vic jogging
      Message 69 of 69 , Sep 6, 2009
        Lori,

        Thanks for the info. You are so smart as well as the other people who mentioned this on the loop too.

        I am progressively smelling more now. Pretty routine to smell my nice smelling soaps in the bathroom.

        I use saline to wet my nose whenever I think of it. I also use Nasonex at night and in the morning.

        I am so glad that I can smell again. My soaps are deeply satisfying. It is like input that I wasn't getting before.

        So, this is what I think happened to me six months ago. I took a supplement that I was allergic to. I developed a rash and it took hold in my nose. So, when I went to the ENT, he said that I had an allergy in my nose. Now that the medicine is working, I am beginning to smell more and more.

        I will pray for all of you to be successful like I am. I'll continue to let you know how I am doing. Thanks so much :D

        Vicky

        He may be good but he doesn't understand anosmia that well. If he did he would have tried something other than rubbing alcohol. After my head injury the only things I could pick up were mint toothpaste and rubbing alcohol. You're not really smelling it, you're sensing it with the trigeminal nerve. This is responsible for hot and cold sensations. Ammonia and menthol also fall into this category. The olfactory nerve is what is damaged or disrupted for sense of smell.

        Best regards,

        Lori
        (recovering head trauma anosmic 4+ years)