RE: [anole] Which is the best food for the small anolis?

  • Roessink, Ivo
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 3, 2005
      Message
      Spiders are toxic in so far that they produce indeed enzymes that paralyze and digest (liquify) a prey item (insects in most cases). These enzymes are in such small amounts present and very specific that it will kill a fly but your anole won't even get a headache. It is absolutely no problem to feed spiders to your anoles. As long if you don't give them spiders that will consider an anoles as prey item, that is. So stay away from tarantula's, and so on.
      In my experience spiders are and have always been a favorite addition to the diet of my anoles (I've kept and keep: A. sabanus, A. chlorocyanum, A. caroliensis, A. sagrei, A. equestris, A. semilineatus, A. lineatus, A. ophiolepis, and A. bahorucoensis and for these guys it worked). Spiders were hunted down instantly and readily eaten. A small note here is that I live in Holland and we do not have spiders that can be harmfull to my animals (if I keep their size in mind). I don't know how the situation is in the States or other parts of the world but as long if you stay away from spiders that are too large for your anole (let's say a larger body than your animals head) you should be safe. Allright, don't try Black widows either, but then I think you as a owner run the highest risk.

      Cheers,

      Ivo

      I. Roessink

      ALTERRA Green World Research

      Postbus 47

      6700 AA Wageningen

      tel: +31 317 474445

      fax: +31 317 419000

      www.pesticides.alterra.nl

      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 28, 2005
        depends on the weather but the more you clean (and naturally feed) the better their chance to a full life.

        At 05:46 AM 7/20/2005, you wrote:
        How often do you clean your cricket cage.
        cyn
        --- In anole@yahoogroups.com, red-eye <red-eye@p...> wrote:
        > good idea
        > Just make sure you do not use fiberglass screening as they will eat
        right
        > through it, wire screen is the way to go
        > red-eye
        >

        > At 01:14 PM 6/15/2005, you wrote:
        > >Get a 5 gallon bucket with a top. Cut out the center portion and
        hot glue
        > >some regular window screen over the cutout section. You can either
        add a
        > >substrate or just leave the floor of the container bare. Add some
        food and
        > >cricket drink and you are all set.
        > >
        > >Bob Carmany

        > >    *
        > > <mailto:anole-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
        > >
        > >    *
        > >    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        > > < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        Reptiles amphibians Biology Amphibians
        Reptile

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS