[anole] Flooring For Terrarium

  • James Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2005

       I have one anole lizard in a ten gallon aquarium.  I used brown butcher paper for flooring, but the crickets hid under the paper and only came out when my anole was asleep.  I’d only seen one cricket last night, so I assumed it was safe to clean the aquarium today.  I figured there were be at most, three crickets under the paper.  There were nine.  Obviously, paper flooring won’t work.  I’m thinking about sand, but wanted to hear what other people suggested.

      Thanks

      James Williams

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2005
        Hi James;
        I like to pinch the hind legs off the crickets and put them in a bowl for my lizards.  What's nice about bowls is you can experiment with what the anole likes to eat by putting some of the new food in the bowl with some crickets.  I sprinkle some oatmeal on the bottom of the bowl and cut up a few pieces of banana or chopped some berries or soggy dog food, put the amputeed crickets in and let them munch for about an hour(yeah - I gut load every bug for days, so maybe I'm going overboard doing this step, but I've had luck with it) and stick the bowl in the enclosure.  Clean up whatever's left at the end of the day and if the anole hasn't eaten all the crickets, you won't have to worry about picking their legs off for the next meal

        Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2005
          That rubberized nonskid shelf liner works well. It
          comes in rolls, and if you cut a few pieces, you can
          just throw them in the laundry to wash them. No fuss,
          no muss. And the crickets don't hide under it ;-)

          -Kristen

          http://mail.yahoo.com