help! dont know why my green anole is always so brown....

  • Leonardo
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2 12:20 PM
      hey guys...i need help determening why my green anole, a male, is
      almost always brown. I know that this means he is stressed but i
      cant seem to find the reason for it. He is in a pretty big
      tank....about 2 feet wide, a foot and 8 inches high and about 10
      inches deep. he has heating bulb, water, good temperature, good
      humidity and food...what could be the cause of his stress....hes in
      my room and there is hardly any activity in there to scare him....

      thanks a lot in advance...

      `Leo
    • Matthias Jurczyk

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2 5:28 PM

          Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 6:19 PM
          Subject: Re: [anole] help! dont know why my green anole is always so brown....
          Hi, Matt (hope you don't mind being called "Matt", short for Mattias):

          your tank is not what i would call "big". i prefer tanks, which are 2 feet
          wide, 3 feet high, and 2 feet deep. thats what i would call the minimum.
          perhaps, a bigger tank would help.

          Formula for calculating the US gallon size of a tank given its dimensions (in inches):

          height x width x depth = cubic inches

          Divide this by 231 cubic inches (cu. in.) to get US gallons
          or Divide it by 277.4193 cubic inches (cu. in.) to get Imperial gallons

          Your tank size dimension recommendations:

          3 feet (36 inches) times 2 feet (24 inches) times 2 feet (24 inches)

          36" x 24" x 24" = 20736  (cubic inches)

          20736 / 231 = 89.7663 US gallons

          89 US gallons!

          That's a bit on the big size for a tank with only one Anole, don't you think? And you say even bigger
          than that?  What'ch you think he's got in that tank - a BLUE WHALE? Just kidding. Your numbers
          are just off a bit.

          keep in mind, that your anole needs plants where he can hide in.

          Couldn't agree with you more. Until I got just one more plant for my Anole he was brown (and blue....). :)
          Really Anoles spend much of their time in the branches and leaves of trees since they are arboreal
          (like to hang out up high(er) in the trees) lizards.

          and its also important to have suitable lamps. HQL or HQI are recommened

          I don't know what you mean by HQL or HQI. Please clarify. Are you from outside US?

          lamps for anolis. an uv-lamp is also a good thing.

          Actually one probably needs two UV lamps/light sources. One that emits UVA and another that emits UVB.
          Of the two UVA is more important, but UVB is also important. If one is unable to provide the Anole UVB
          lighting, then it is essential to "dust" the Anole's live crickets every 2 oir 3 days with a calcium and vitamin D3
          (combo) powder just prior to feeding them to the Anole. Local pet stores sell it for like 3-4 bucks (US).Anoles without essential vitamin D3 cannot metabolize their calcium intake and WILL develop deadly illness as a result.

          Some flourescent lamps/lights can provide both UVA and UVB light.  Also one needs a regular incandescent/regular light source for the Anole as well. And a heat lamp of some sort. An infrared heat
           lamp/light/bulb that one can have on 24/7 is probably a requirement, but depending on whether it is already quite
           warm where one lives year-rouind this may not be required, but otherwise it definitely is necessary to an Anole's good health and well-being. They like a temp around 85 degrees with at least 50% humidity during the day.
           At night the temp can go down to about 70-75 (more,  rarely though) as well as the humidy can go down at night.

            Also the humidity in the tank is key. Anoles require a humidity of about at least 50%+ which means
          either an automatic misting system or an inexpensive small empty spray misting bottle that one can buy
          at the local pet store for like $0.79 cents and put non-treated (not chlorinated, etc...) water in it and spray
          the Anole's tank about 2-3 times a day but never directly on the Anole but rather let it be like a light
          misty rain.Get the plant's leaves (whether real or plastic) wet when misting the tank as Anoles often will not
          drink from a bowl and will only lick the water off leaves and the inside of the tank and they need water.

          maybe he's brown, because its too dark in his tank.

          Yes, good lighting is necessary. Incandescent, UVA and  UVB lighting. All three. Necessary.

          or he is stressed by the small tank.

          On a somewhat temporary basis a smaller (not too small) tank is not immediately deadly. Most experienced
          herpers recommend about 10 gallons for a single (per) Anole.
             It sounds like you are from outside the US. What do they use to calculate tank size where you are? Liters?

          both is possible.
          greetings.

          Ditto.
                                                                                                                            Lizard~King

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2 5:51 PM
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2 11:09 PM
              ok guys...just so you know...i appreciate your help...ive had anoles
              for a couple of years and ive never had problems with them....i
              supply everything except for the UV light...i take him out on a
              little cage to bask in real sun every other day. I feed him crickets
              and hes not a fan of meal worms...never pays attention to
              them....the humidity is good and i spray the tank with a sprayer a
              couple times a day...i have a lot of fake plants in there and
              perches thick and thin, i have a heat bulb on one side and the other
              side with nothing so he can choose the temperature...3/4 of the tank
              bedding is soft dirt they sell with little bits of tree bark....then
              the rest is filled with peat moss. I have him in there alone with no
              other lizards...

              thanks.
            • Lisa McCune
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2 11:27 PM
                Well,
                The setup sounds pretty good....... How are you getting him from his
                larger enclosure, to the little cage for basking? What kind of cover is
                available in the little cage? My guess is that the stress of being
                caught and transferred from one cage to the other every other day, and
                stress induced by being in the little cage, is what's keeping him in
                stress mode. If you get the appropriate UVB lighting on your anole's
                normal enclosure, and cease handling him, then hopefully he will settle
                down.

                Lisa

                Leonardo wrote:

                > ok guys...just so you know...i appreciate your help...ive had anoles
                > for a couple of years and ive never had problems with them....i
                > supply everything except for the UV light...i take him out on a
                > little cage to bask in real sun every other day. I feed him crickets
                > and hes not a fan of meal worms...never pays attention to
                > them....the humidity is good and i spray the tank with a sprayer a
                > couple times a day...i have a lot of fake plants in there and
                > perches thick and thin, i have a heat bulb on one side and the other
                > side with nothing so he can choose the temperature...3/4 of the tank
                > bedding is soft dirt they sell with little bits of tree bark....then
                > the rest is filled with peat moss. I have him in there alone with no
                > other lizards...
                >

                > thanks.
              • Matthias Jurczyk
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3 2:48 AM
                  hi ditto (is that your name? wasnt sure about)

                  no, i don't mind being called matt.
                  at first: i'm from germany - i use centimeters and so on to describe my
                  tanks.
                  maybe i'm a bit confused, but i had in mind, that 1 foot is about 30 cm ..
                  and 1 inch about 2,5 cm.
                  so his tank would be about 60cm wide, 55cm high, and 25 cm deep.
                  okay? maybe i'm wrong and his tank is much bigger than i think it is, but
                  when i'm right, its not a really big tank.
                  i keep a pair of anolis sabanus in an 60cm wide, 50cm deep and 80cm high
                  tank.
                  green anole need some more place. thats why i prefer tanks which are at
                  least 2feet wide, 2feet deep and 3 feet high.
                  greetings.
                  matthias

                  --
                  Lassen Sie Ihren Gedanken freien Lauf... z.B. per FreeSMS
                  GMX bietet bis zu 100 FreeSMS/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3 8:24 AM
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3 9:57 AM
                      What is the temperature?  How long are the lights left on and do you have a UV source?

                          !!!!

                      !!!!!!!!
                      !!
                      !!!!!!!!
                      O_O
                      !
                      !  !!!!!!! /@ @\
                           !!!!!! \ x
                      /
                           !!!!!!/ m  !m
                            !!!!/ __  |
                            !!!!|/  \__

                      Linda G
                      Cleveland, Ohio

                                  or
                      gleisser@...

                      Please feel free to visit our critter photos at:

                      "The most disease carrying, trouble making, dangerous animals around - bar NONE -  are Homo Sapiens." lpg

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 3 10:57 AM

                        ---------