Anoles from Hispaniola Island

  • Miguel A. Landestoy T.
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2004
      Hi to all "Anolitics". I´m not an old member of this forum but I
      notice that has been pass a while since the last posting. Here is
      part of my Anole-Diary colection. Just a way to contribute and share.

      If you are interested to see some Hispaniolan Anoles just check my
      folder on Photos typed with my name.

      P.D. I was trying to post more pics at time, but the server gave me
      error several times. I will post more later.

      Miguel A. Landestoy T.
      Dominican Republic
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2004
        Hi Miguel -
        You wouldn't happen to be able to get ahold of some Puerto Rican Giant Anoles/Crown Supergiant Anoles (Anolis cuvieri).  I have two males and am desperately seeking females.  I could be wrong, but, my guess is that they must have spread out to other Carribean Islands by now.

        Thanks -
        Ray

      • MIGUEL ANGEL LANDESTOY
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2004

          Hi Ray,

          I must tell you that I never heard about the existence of A. cuvieri on Hispaniola. Its known that we have the PR Crested Anole (A. cristatelus) and Cuban Green (A. porcatus) but no the big ones. By the way, I�m specially interested in wild anoles as components and part of their habitats, to watch, learn and photograph it. Anyway I can understand your hobby and I respect it, so, anything else about anoles that are in my reach just let me know. It would be good idea to try to put some of ours to the pet market but this wouldn�t be harvesting but keeping on captivity to breed. Who knows if this might help to preserve their habitat in the future.

          Miguel A. Landestoy T.

          >From: "Ray" <badlizard@...> >Reply-To: anole@yahoogroups.com >To: <anole@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: Re: [anole] Anoles from Hispaniola Island >Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:22:40 -0400 > >Hi Miguel - >You wouldn't happen to be able to get ahold of some Puerto Rican Giant Anoles/Crown Supergiant Anoles (Anolis cuvieri). I have two males and am desperately seeking females. I could be wrong, but, my guess is that they must have spread out to other Carribean Islands by now. > >Thanks - >Ray

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 10, 2004
            My thoughts exactly, Miguel;

            I know that on one particular day, there was only 1 out of a dozen people who was interested enough in that lizard to climb up a tree, at least 30 ft, at dusk.  Just to try to get a closer look at it.  (me - broke a finger and have a hand that was covered in ant bites, too.  That's what makes it interesting, I guess)

            Keeping this lizard is quite interesting.  I have friends that are breeding snakes and larger lizards - but, they all seem enthralled by this anole.  It's nothing special looking, just big compared to similar looking anoles.  Basic and exotic at the same time.  They tame quickly and seem to recognize me(mainly because of the food I'm sure).

            I've kept these lizards for more than 4 years, now.  They are extremely hardy, and very curious and easy to handle(after the initial bites).  I would welcome any information on these animals.

            Ray