Lost Tail

  • coreywestmoreland2
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2004
      I just got a new anole as mine died this morning. About three hours
      after I got her all set up in her new environment, I went to check on
      her.I didn't see her but noticed the top of the tank was up at one
      end. I closed the top and my anoles tail fell to the table. Will she
      be okay or will she die? I feel so sad about this and my grandma has
      been on the internet trying to find out any information she could and
      she found this site for me. Please HELP
    • RosemaryBasil
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2004
        There are probably more knowlegeable people on this list but anoles can lose their tails when they are scared or threatened, they drop off. They have the ability to grow new tails so if she looks ok otherwise she should be ok.
        I am sorry to hear your other one died. You must feel so bad. I hope it works out for you.
        Good luck!
        Rose

      • eclipseexotics@bresnan.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2004
          > I just got a new anole as mine died this morning. About three hours
          > after I got her all set up in her new environment, I went to check on
          > her.I didn't see her but noticed the top of the tank was up at one
          > end. I closed the top and my anoles tail fell to the table. Will she
          > be okay or will she die? I feel so sad about this and my grandma has
          > been on the internet trying to find out any information she could and
          > she found this site for me. Please HELP

          Your anole will be just fine. Anoles are one of the species of lizards that can
          cast off their tails to ward off predators. The tail will regrow, slowly--it
          will look different from the old one, and won't be as "pretty", but there's no
          real harm in it. If you're concerned, or if the wound doesn't look right, use a
          dab of tri-antibiotic ointment on it.

          --Winged Wolf
          http://reptiles.thepsionguild.net
          Breed herps that few others keep?