Newbie Questions

  • tlbolden@charter.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hello,

      We got our daughter an anole a week ago. At first we had it in a very
      small cage, but then did some research and realize that was not big
      enough and got a 10 gallon aquarium with the mesh top. We have a 60
      watt UV light, bark on the ground, and various branches and vines for
      him to climb on. We have a couple questions:

      1) What is the temperature and humidity supposed to be in the cage?

      2) This guy seems to be a light brown to speckled green/brown almost
      all the time. The only time we have seen him bright green was the
      first day or so when we brought him home and once when he was basking
      in some sun light.

      3) How can you tell if they are eating? We put some crickets in the
      cage, but we don't know if he is eating. He is looking kinda thin.
      DH said at one point a cricket was walking on him and he showed no
      interest in eating.

      Thanks for any help
      Terri and the Zoo
    • Tim Jackson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
        Hello,
        I found my anole in my office plant that I purchased
        from a company 2 weeks after I had the plant. He was
        very small ! SO i am with you and had very little
        knowledge about these guys.
        They seem to like it between 75-95 degrees, you
        should have a heater that sticks on the bottom of the
        aquarium to keep some heat in there all the time. They
        also need moisture. I have sand in my aquarium now
        and have a small lake on one end over the heater so it
        naturally makes it humid. My sand it brite orange so
        it adds to the color that the have.
        If your little guy is very small he or she may not
        change much color yet.
        Does it have a stripe on it's back or diamonds?
        TYpically the diamonds indicate a female. It may
        also be adjusting to the new surroundings. If there is
        food and it's hungry it will eat.

        Do not place the aquarium in direct sunlight. It will
        get too hot like your car !

        I have noticed that if the don't have enought
        humidity they act sick and don't eat so that could be
        the issue

        I attached some photos of their setup, I now have 2 !

        If have any more questions email me here

        Tim

        --- tlbolden@... wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > We got our daughter an anole a week ago. At first
        > we had it in a very
        > small cage, but then did some research and realize
        > that was not big
        > enough and got a 10 gallon aquarium with the mesh
        > top. We have a 60
        > watt UV light, bark on the ground, and various
        > branches and vines for
        > him to climb on. We have a couple questions:
        >
        > 1) What is the temperature and humidity supposed to
        > be in the cage?
        >
        > 2) This guy seems to be a light brown to speckled
        > green/brown almost
        > all the time. The only time we have seen him bright
        > green was the
        > first day or so when we brought him home and once
        > when he was basking
        > in some sun light.
        >
        > 3) How can you tell if they are eating? We put some
        > crickets in the
        > cage, but we don't know if he is eating. He is
        > looking kinda thin.
        > DH said at one point a cricket was walking on him
        > and he showed no
        > interest in eating.
        >
        > Thanks for any help
        > Terri and the Zoo