petstore and consumer awareness...

  • neuromantic5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2003

      As many of you know, I have been active with learning about the thoughts and concerns of reptile owners in regard to where they shop. I have posted in the past a survey and learned abut the buying habits of many reptile and amphibian owners.
      I have found some people with the rspca that directed me to a site.

      I would like it very much if everyone would visit these two links, reply with either personal accounts or concerns. Then, forward the sites to those you feel might be interested in the same. I have made a pamphlet that was distributed to vendors at a local northbay reptile show. they gave these to those that stopped by and i have had some success with that. I am working strongly to bring the newbie to the understanding that it is better to purchase the live animals from knowledgable breeders or private store owners that can answer specific questions...

      well here are the sites:

      http://petstoreabuse.tripod.com/petco.html

      http://petstoreabuse.tripod.com/SFpetcostory.html

      please forward on. i learned that 20% of those that responded to my hosted survey really thought that day geckos could be keep on sand as long as they had a waterdish and crickets to eat. i also learned that 50% of all new reptile owners lost their first comercial bought pet with in 4 months of purchase. PetsMart is selling leopard geckos with a desert set up. everyone thinks they have a quick stand alone product for every animal they sell. these "home in a box units" are plastic sometimes. who would suggest they keep something in a kritter keeper with out concern for the animal? well, i'm done. pass it on.
    • Tom Groot
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2003
        Hi friends!

        After having been in brazil for 7 months I am finally
        back in wonderfully cold Holland!

        During my absence my animals have definately missed
        me, if not emotionally, then because of my experience.
        Although I am sure my sister gave it he best shot, she
        has not been able to breed anything. Moreover, some
        animals unfortunaely died...

        Therefore, I am looking for a A. oculatus winstoni
        male. Or alternatively, I am offering a female (I have
        not been able to breed with her, so maybe someone
        would like to give it a try with her) and then I would
        be interested in a pair of some other anole species...
        someone???

        Cheers, Tom

        http://shopping.yahoo.com