Stumped on Stress

  • Sillygirl
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hello, I'm new to the group.

      I've had anoles since early July and within the last week have built
      a beautiful terrarium by joining two 10 gallon tall hex tanks
      complete with the false bottom, live plants and waterfall/fogger
      (yes I got obsessed). Along with my male and female anole I have 4
      green tree frogs that share the terrarium. Everyone seems fine and
      happy after the inital adjustment to their new home (anything is
      better then being stuck in a couple of critter keepers overnight).
      Anyways my male anole (Stumpy) has adjusted fine as far as I can
      tell and so have all the tree frogs (they dig the live moss). The
      female green anole is been ranging from light brown to dark brown
      for a few minutes and is only green while sleeping. She is eating
      and drinking and all her bodily functions are normal, she's just not
      the pretty green she was when I got her. So I'm at a loss as to
      what if anything may be causing her stress. A couple of things I
      have noticed and maybe they have something to do wiht it. My male
      green anole is VERY dominate, he spends his day prancing around the
      branches displaying to anyone who will pay attention and often tries
      to chase the female. Also, noticed that the female is kinda getting
      fat (eggs possibly?). I wonder if it's not the male causing the
      stress because she's not wanting to mate due to the fact that she's
      carrying eggs and also the only female he has around. What if
      anything should I do?

      Thanks in advance

      Chantel
    • lkracecar
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
        I'm curious too on what you found out on the stress. I recently
        bought a screen wire cage from Scales. I have artifical plants in
        there, and my anole seems fine, but stays brown most of the time. It
        has shed a couple of times since I have had it. I have a light to
        keep it warm, and a flourescent light too.

        I'm curios about your tree frog, does it get along fine with the
        Anoles? Where did you get the tree frogs from?

        Do you have any pictures on your setup?

        Thanks,

        Lyle

        --- In anole@yahoogroups.com, "Sillygirl" <cfeeney@m...> wrote:
        > Hello, I'm new to the group.
        >
        > I've had anoles since early July and within the last week have
        built
        > a beautiful terrarium by joining two 10 gallon tall hex tanks
        > complete with the false bottom, live plants and waterfall/fogger
        > (yes I got obsessed). Along with my male and female anole I have 4
        > green tree frogs that share the terrarium. Everyone seems fine and
        > happy after the inital adjustment to their new home (anything is
        > better then being stuck in a couple of critter keepers overnight).
        > Anyways my male anole (Stumpy) has adjusted fine as far as I can
        > tell and so have all the tree frogs (they dig the live moss). The
        > female green anole is been ranging from light brown to dark brown
        > for a few minutes and is only green while sleeping. She is eating
        > and drinking and all her bodily functions are normal, she's just
        not
        > the pretty green she was when I got her. So I'm at a loss as to
        > what if anything may be causing her stress. A couple of things I
        > have noticed and maybe they have something to do wiht it. My male
        > green anole is VERY dominate, he spends his day prancing around the
        > branches displaying to anyone who will pay attention and often
        tries
        > to chase the female. Also, noticed that the female is kinda getting
        > fat (eggs possibly?). I wonder if it's not the male causing the
        > stress because she's not wanting to mate due to the fact that she's
        > carrying eggs and also the only female he has around. What if
        > anything should I do?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Chantel
      • Lusolia
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
          In my experience, green treefrogs are fine tankmates for
          green anoles. They seem to mostly ignore each other, and I
          believe their ranges in nature overlap anyway. Of course,
          I only had a green treefrog once in my entire life, but
          the reason for his death (I'd rather not talk about it,
          since it was entirely my fault) had nothing to do with the
          anoles.
          --
          Visit Things From Another World for the best
          comics, movies, toys, collectibles and more.
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003

             I've never had a problem that I've ever noticed between the green tree frogs and the anoles.  Anoles are dinural (sp?) and the green tree frogs are nocturnal.  So when my anoles sleep, the tree frogs are on the prowl for stray crickets and taking a dip in the waterfall.

            The frogs seem to be very easy to care for as long as there is fresh food and fresh water, and will even let you pet them while sleeping without caring much (just don't try to pick them up unless you intend on moving them out of the terrarium because those critters can jump FAR!!