pet for 2 years

  • Breck Breckenridge
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 8:09 PM
      At 05:31 AM 8/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
      >From: mhartley@...
      >Sadly, I expect the survival rate is very low. They are too
      >inexpensive, and so any kid can afford one, tho probably can't afford
      >the ideal setup. I had 3 when I was about 11. They did pretty well, I
      >read the books that were available then, but I still don't think they
      >lived over 2 years. I was told to feed them mealworms, and did, but
      >when one got an intestinal prolapse and I bicycled 5 miles to a vet with
      >it, there wasn't much the vet could do.
      >>Melody

      +Melody I recall reading that anoles normally don't live more than 3-4
      years anyway. If it hadn't been teh prolapse, wouldn't it have been death
      by natural causes sooner or later? Breck
    • Zainal L. Haberham
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 4:45 PM
        At 22:09 01/09/1998 -0500, you wrote:
        >+Melody I recall reading that anoles normally don't live more than 3-4
        >years anyway. If it hadn't been teh prolapse, wouldn't it have been death
        >by natural causes sooner or later? Breck

        Hi Breck,
        This depends whether you're referring to animals in the wild or in
        captivity. I guess this is a reasonably life expectance for wild animals
        (actually, 2 years may be more realistic), subject to predation and other
        hazards of the wild. Wild anoles in houses, yards etc. tend to get much
        older, unless they meet with cats.
        In captivity, a medium-sized anole like carolinensis should easily live
        some 6-10 years or even more. "Should" is the key word....I guess in fact
        most don't live past three years, but this can be attributed to faulty
        husbandry techniques, especially in the nutrition.

        Actually, it's a bit of a debate whether and why reptiles actually die of
        old age....unlike mammals, reptiles retain regenerative properties in most
        tissues, even at late ages. Basically, they hardly wear out., unlike us
        mammals. As an anecdote: A group at the Free University in Amsterdam used
        the Tokay gecko as an animal model in a study into the role of a major
        brain structure, the hippocampus, in spatial memory. The animals were
        trained to find their way in a 3-dimensional maze. In order to investigate
        the role of the hippocampus, the structure was removed from a group of
        animals. Much to the surprise of the researchers, these animals too were
        eventually able to learn the best route through the maze. In the
        post-mortem evaluations, the researchers learned that these animals had
        fully regenerated their hippocampi....
        Zainal L. Haberham, Anole hobbyist & neuro-electrophysiologist
        Majubastraat 87, NL-1092 KE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
        E-mail: palardis@...
        Knight anole home page: www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/4489/anolis.htm
        Please use the following address when sending large attachments:
        haberham@...
      • Ppictus@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3 4:50 AM

          << Much to the surprise of the researchers, these animals too were
          eventually able to learn the best route through the maze. In the
          post-mortem evaluations, the researchers learned that these animals had
          fully regenerated their hippocampi.... >>

          Hi, this is my first post on the anole list. Wish I had more to say....but
          found this insight about the reptile brain...VERY COOL.

          Are there any breeders of equestris or any other giant anoles on the list?

          Kenny B.
        • Zainal L. Haberham
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3 4:15 PM
            At 07:50 03/09/1998 EDT, you wrote:
            >From: Ppictus@...
            >Hi, this is my first post on the anole list. Wish I had more to say....but
            >found this insight about the reptile brain...VERY COOL.
            >
            >Are there any breeders of equestris or any other giant anoles on the list?
            >
            >Kenny B.

            Hi Kenny, welcome!
            Glad you like the posting. As it happens, the answer to your question is
            yes; I personally breed several morphs of equestris (now for the third
            consecutive year, with, for the first time, second-generation animals). I
            recently acquired a couple of the largest anole from the Dominican
            Republic, Anolis baleatus; given that the animals seem to adapt to
            captivity fairly quickly, and that I already observed them mate, I may also
            breed them this year, but otherwise certainly next year. I've had less luck
            with the large-but-not giant anole A. bimaculatus; lost the female earlier
            this year, and the few eggs went bad.
            Others on the list (mainly Thomas Lakowitz) breed A. garmani (Jamaican
            giant) and A. richardi (near-giant).
            More info on my equestris breeding experiences are on the URL listed in my
            signature; a couple of pics of my baleatus are on anole.nlights.net.

            Do you also breed equestris, or are you planning to?

            Later,
            Z.
          • Ppictus@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4 4:51 AM

              << Do you also breed equestris, or are you planning to?
              Later,Z. Zainal L. Haberham, >>

              Hi Z.,

              I have bred equestris in the past. I used to have a very blue morph from
              Coral Gables FLA. In college, we use to noose them on campus....where a very
              large population lived. I hatched a few eggs from WC. Presently, I have a
              rescued female equestris (from bad pest shop) and it is very healthy.
              Thinking of getting her a mate. Did you aquire the Dominicans from the
              states? Thanks for the mail back.

              Kenny B.