Sick Anolis...with a twist....

  • N Manwaring
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
      I have lost two Anolis in neighboring cages with the same symptoms....

      Body Weight is good....fat specimens....

      I find them lying on the floor of the cage, and extremely
      thirsty......(remember no external signs of dehydration)

      They seem to also have muscle control problems...only being able of very
      slow uncoordinated movement.....

      make your diagnosis here based on those symptoms........then read on?

      here is the twist.....when feeding and moving cages around today, I found a
      3 inch adult bark scorpion, in the cages in that area (cage abutting those
      two cages).... I have a theory that as this Scorpion crawled on the side of
      their reptarium, they struck at it to eat it and in defense it stung them
      through the nylon netting.......any thoughts.....

      unfortunately, scorpions are not unusual here.....I find 6 or so a year
      inside my house and this is the second in my garage where the animals are....

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
        Nathan,
        That sounds like a reasonable diagnosis to me. The only other cause that comes to mind would be some sort of calcium imbalance (the twitching muscles) however that does not seem likely. It sounds as if the scorpion may be the culprit.
        Chip
      • lambrechts
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2002
          Some scorpion species carry a venom that has as a sympton like you
          described. Uncoordinated muscular movement for exemple is found to be a
          sympton of many venomous species (they somewhat disable the nerve system if
          not completely destroy it). The thirst could be a reaction to the venom as
          well. Have you mesured body temperatures, these could become rather high
          after a sting perhaps even explaining the thirst.
          Well their is offcourse a pretty simple way of keeping scorpions out off the
          netting by just covering the first 10 cm or so from the bottom with for
          exemple glas or a similar product. I yet have to see the first scorpion
          being able to climb up a glas barrier.

          succes

          denny lambrechts

          > Nathan,
          > That sounds like a reasonable diagnosis to me. The only other cause
          that comes to mind would be some sort of calcium imbalance (the twitching
          muscles) however that does not seem likely. It sounds as if the scorpion may
          be the culprit.
          > Chip

        • Father Alejandro J. Sanchez Munoz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2002
            > here is the twist.....when feeding and moving cages around today, I found
            > 3 inch adult bark scorpion, in the cages in that area (cage abutting those
            > two cages).... I have a theory that as this Scorpion crawled on the side
            of
            > their reptarium, they struck at it to eat it and in defense it stung them
            > through the nylon netting.......any thoughts.....

            Yep. I think a scorpion's sting could do that.

            I once had an axolotl (one of those gilled, neotenic Ambistoma
            salamanders from Mexico) to which I fed a Puerto Rican Heteronebo scorpion
            which I thought was dead. I happened that the scorpion was only catatonic,
            and not one bit dead (I recall in dread that I extensively and carelessly
            handled it before throwing it in the tank.)

            Anyway, a few seconds after the huge salamander swallowed the food item
            in question, it jumped almost clear out of the water, seemingly in horrible
            pain, and then vomited the "carrion", which was alive and kicking, and which
            I retrieved from the tank. A few minutes later the salamander laid on the
            bottom of the tank, twitching ocassionally and spasmodically gulping in
            water. It died within a couple of hours.

            I've seen anoles (especially A. cristatellus) devour live centipedes and
            wasps, seemingly without any ill effects. But that may not say much, since
            it co-evolved with those, while the particular anoles you lost might not
            recognize the scorpions you mention as dangerous.

            I seem to vaguely recall that "bark" scorpions are some species of
            Centruroides (which are indeed common in the Caribbean in multiple species,
            also.) Am I right?

            Father Sánchez
          • roedunn
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
              I am sorry to hear about your anoles. I have a problem with one of
              mine as well. I don't know if it is sick or what. Its tail has kinks
              in it. It looks like a piece of wire that has been bent in a few
              places and then straightened out. Any suggestions on what may have
              caused this?
              Rose

              --- In anole@y..., N Manwaring <ntmanwaring@y...> wrote:

              > I have lost two Anolis in neighboring cages with the same
              symptoms....

              > Body Weight is good....fat specimens....
              >
              > I find them lying on the floor of the cage, and extremely
              > thirsty......(remember no external signs of dehydration)
              >
              > They seem to also have muscle control problems...only being able of
              very
              > slow uncoordinated movement.....
              >
              > make your diagnosis here based on those symptoms........then read
              on?

              > here is the twist.....when feeding and moving cages around today, I
              found a
              > 3 inch adult bark scorpion, in the cages in that area (cage
              abutting those
              > two cages).... I have a theory that as this Scorpion crawled on the
              side of
              > their reptarium, they struck at it to eat it and in defense it
              stung them
              > through the nylon netting.......any thoughts.....
              >
              > unfortunately, scorpions are not unusual here.....I find 6 or so a
              year
              > inside my house and this is the second in my garage where the
              animals are....

            • lambrechts
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
                There can be several causes. If the tail was always straight before most
                probably the tail broke but didn't fal off and has thus regrown with a kink
                (sometimes a second tail can be grown). Iff the tail did entirely fall off
                and it is a regrown tail, than the problem most likely has to be a
                calcium/vitamin shortage. If it is still the original tail and it never
                broke than the animal suffert the above mentioned calcium/vitamin shortage
                when it was growing up.

                This is all I can come up with.

                greetings

                denny