Tebo larvaes

  • Tom Groot
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi everyone,

      The local shop where I buy the food for my animals has
      started sellini (in dutch) tebo larven. (English: Tebo
      larvaes???).
      They're large ping caterpillars, are naked and seem to
      live on wood. They smell a bit funny but the lizards
      seem to be verry fond of them.

      Has anyone experiences with them? Are they good food
      (nutrition, certain vitamins, elements etc.)? Any
      constraints on them?

      Cheers!
      Tom.

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Frank Jaeger
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hm, is that not the larvae from Tebo flies? ordinary sized, non-flying
        flies? I only fed the flies so far, and they are very nice because the
        animals can run after them a lot, and since they do not fly, you never ever
        have them in your beer glass ;-)

        Frank.

        > Von: Tom Groot <tomgroot78@...>
        > Antworten an: anole@yahoogroups.com
        > Datum: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 03:01:21 -0800 (PST)
        > An: anole@yahoogroups.com
        > Betreff: [anole] Tebo larvaes
        >
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > The local shop where I buy the food for my animals has
        > started sellini (in dutch) tebo larven. (English: Tebo
        > larvaes???).
        > They're large ping caterpillars, are naked and seem to
        > live on wood. They smell a bit funny but the lizards
        > seem to be verry fond of them.
        >
        > Has anyone experiences with them? Are they good food
        > (nutrition, certain vitamins, elements etc.)? Any
        > constraints on them?
        >
        > Cheers!
        > Tom.

      • D. Lambrechts
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
          if they are indeed flylarvae (are you sure they are larvae off any
          butterfly or moth) be carefull with feeding them to much.. They
          contain a whole lot of fat and are pretty low on nutrients.
          Furthermore your anole may have difficulties swallowing them because
          they cant properly kill them because of their rubberlike skin.
          But when they are really caterpillar larvae the are very good food.
          I always feed the catarpillars off our local "koolwitje" and they
          indeed love them..

          greetings
          denny l
        • Frank Jaeger
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
            Okay, I withdraw my comment. 4 to 5 centimeters? And producing silk? I am on
            the wrong track here ;-)

            Never heard of them.

            Frank.

            > Von: Tom Groot <tomgroot78@...>
            > Antworten an: anole@yahoogroups.com
            > Datum: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 01:51:57 -0800 (PST)
            > An: anole@yahoogroups.com
            > Betreff: Re: [anole] Tebo larvaes
            >

            > --- Frank Jaeger <frank.jaeger@...> wrote:
            >> Hm, is that not the larvae from Tebo flies? ordinary
            >> sized, non-flying
            >> flies?
            > I think you meen what we call krul-vliegen
            > (curl-flies), but these they definately are not. I'll
            > see if I can figure out what butterfly comes from
            > them. Maybe I should have mentioned their size, up to
            > 4-5 centimeters easily!
            > I'm shure they are caterpillars since I do not know of
            > any other larvae that produce such large amounts of
            > silk.
            >

            > and since they do
            >> not fly, you never ever
            >> have them in your beer glass ;-)
            > Imagine the horror!

          • Tom Groot
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
              --- Frank Jaeger <frank.jaeger@...> wrote:
              > Hm, is that not the larvae from Tebo flies? ordinary
              > sized, non-flying
              > flies?
              I think you meen what we call krul-vliegen
              (curl-flies), but these they definately are not. I'll
              see if I can figure out what butterfly comes from
              them. Maybe I should have mentioned their size, up to
              4-5 centimeters easily!
              I'm shure they are caterpillars since I do not know of
              any other larvae that produce such large amounts of
              silk.

              and since they do
              > not fly, you never ever
              > have them in your beer glass ;-)
              Imagine the horror!

              Find a job, post your resume.
              http://careers.yahoo.com
            • Scott Solar
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                In the USA they are sold as Butterworms.

                Frank Jaeger wrote:

                > Okay, I withdraw my comment. 4 to 5 centimeters? And producing silk? I am on
                > the wrong track here ;-)
                >
                > Never heard of them.
                >
                > Frank.
                >
                > > Von: Tom Groot <tomgroot78@...>
                > > Antworten an: anole@yahoogroups.com
                > > Datum: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 01:51:57 -0800 (PST)
                > > An: anole@yahoogroups.com
                > > Betreff: Re: [anole] Tebo larvaes
                > >

                > > --- Frank Jaeger <frank.jaeger@...> wrote:
                > >> Hm, is that not the larvae from Tebo flies? ordinary
                > >> sized, non-flying
                > >> flies?
                > > I think you meen what we call krul-vliegen
                > > (curl-flies), but these they definately are not. I'll
                > > see if I can figure out what butterfly comes from
                > > them. Maybe I should have mentioned their size, up to
                > > 4-5 centimeters easily!
                > > I'm shure they are caterpillars since I do not know of
                > > any other larvae that produce such large amounts of
                > > silk.
                > >

                > > and since they do
                > >> not fly, you never ever
                > >> have them in your beer glass ;-)
                > > Imagine the horror!

                If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

                Kind Regards;

                Scott Solar
                Amazon Reptile Center
                909.447.5103

                Currently buying many reptiles.
                Please email with wholesale price lists.