meal worms

  • elmo4770@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi all!!
      I'm a newbie here. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the
      future, but right now I only have one. I just got a shipment of meal
      worms to feed my anoles. I ordered the smallest ones. I'd like them
      to breed so I have an endless suppy. Any tips?? I just can't bring
      myself to store them in my fridge!!! I have them in a plastic shoe
      box with a food source as a substrate and a piece of apple.
      I guess I have two questions. Do I just put them on the floor of the
      cage and the anole will find them??? Or should I put them in a food
      dish or on something like a plastic lid??
      thanks,
      -Sue
    • Clinton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi Sue,

        the first thing you should know is that meal worms are not the best food for
        your anoles. They are fatty and have a poor calcium/phosphorous ratio.
        They are not nearly as good for your anoles as crickets are. Raising them
        is still not a bad idea though. It really takes no effort, and if your
        cricket supply dries up for a week or two they are handy to have for a
        back-up food supply.

        The best substrate I've found is peat moss. They actually eat this stuff
        faster than I've seen them eat anything. They will eat practically anything
        that's edible, and the only moisture they get is from their food. No need
        to water them in any way. Just give them a bit of fresh fruit or veggie,
        and that is their moisture. Keep them out of the fridge if you want them to
        eat-grow-breed. Keeping them in the fridge is meant to slow down their
        metabolism so you don't have to feed them and so they don't start the
        process to becoming a beetle.

        It doesn't really matter what you keep them in, just make sure you have a
        screen top or some sort of ventilation. The ammonia build up can get pretty
        nasty without airflow. But without some sort of top the beetles can fly
        out. They don't fly very often, I've only seen it once myself, but they do
        have wings and they can fly in the mood strikes them.

        Of course it's the beetles who do the actual breeding, and it does take
        awhile before the new meal worms are large enough to do anything with. When
        feeding to the anoles I use a clear plastic measuring scoop about 2 inches
        tall. I leave some vitamin powder in the bottom, since it doesn't stick all
        that well to the worm itself. This way the anole will at least get some in
        the mouth when they grab the worm. It is a bad idea to let the meal worms
        go free in your enclosure, since they will just burrow down into the
        substrate. If you have a soil substrate you can easily end up with your
        soil being over-run by meal worms and beetles.

        Good luck, and if you have any other basic feeding questions, check out my
        page at:

        http://members.home.com/gadolinium/index.html

        Clinton.