zoomed reptisun 5.0 (a little technical question)

  • D. Lambrechts
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 1:25 AM
      Hi I some time ago bought a reptisun 5.0 (I have asked about it
      sometime before). It's a 14W one. now my question , since in holland
      we only seem to be able to get 15W devices to put the reptisun in,
      will this change the lightspectrum in any way, making the reptisun
      useless for UV light.

      any thoughts greatly appreciated

      greetings

      Denny
    • Bradford Chaucer
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 6:46 AM
        At 05:25 AM 4/1/2001, you wrote:
        >Hi I some time ago bought a reptisun 5.0 (I have asked about it
        >sometime before). It's a 14W one. now my question , since in holland
        >we only seem to be able to get 15W devices to put the reptisun in,
        >will this change the lightspectrum in any way, making the reptisun
        >useless for UV light.

        If the bulb fully lights up, the output spectrum won't be effected.
        However, too "weak" a ballast in the fixture may result in the bulb not
        being fully powered in which case it will flicker and not solidly light
        up. Then the output will be significantly reduced.

        Regards,
        Bradford Chaucer
        bradford.chaucer@...
      • D. Lambrechts
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 11:46 AM
          --- In anole@y..., Bradford Chaucer <bradford.chaucer@s...> wrote:
          > At 05:25 AM 4/1/2001, you wrote:
          > >Hi I some time ago bought a reptisun 5.0 (I have asked about it
          > >sometime before). It's a 14W one. now my question , since in
          holland
          > >we only seem to be able to get 15W devices to put the reptisun in,
          > >will this change the lightspectrum in any way, making the reptisun
          > >useless for UV light.
          >
          > If the bulb fully lights up, the output spectrum won't be effected.
          > However, too "weak" a ballast in the fixture may result in the bulb
          not
          > being fully powered in which case it will flicker and not solidly
          light
          > up. Then the output will be significantly reduced.
          >

          > Regards,
          > Bradford Chaucer
          > bradford.chaucer@s...

          the bulb is 14 watts and it gets 15 watts off power out off the
          device.
          Thus I think the bulb sends out more light than it would on a 14 watt
          device but at the two ends the bulb does flicker (but I feel all
          bulbs do this)

          greetings Denny
        • Bradford Chaucer
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 12:02 PM
            At 02:46 PM 4/1/2001, you wrote:
            >the bulb is 14 watts and it gets 15 watts off power out off the
            >device.
            >Thus I think the bulb sends out more light than it would on a 14 watt
            >device but at the two ends the bulb does flicker (but I feel all
            >bulbs do this)

            I think that you are misunderstanding that rating. If this is a standard
            fixture, consisting of a pair of lamp sockets and a ballast, then that 15
            watt rating is the maximum lam rating that the fixture can supply. If you
            connect a larger lamp (i.e. an 18watt lamp), the fixture won't be able to
            properly feed it and the bulb either won't get enough power to ignite or
            will only do so poorly. However if you use a smaller bulb (i.e. a 12 watt
            lamp), then the lamp will be fed all the power it needs to ignite and light
            fully, however it will draw it's 12 watt rating; the fixture won't feed it
            more than the 12 watts that the bulb is rated.

            A 14 watt lamp, all things being equal, should work, however it will be
            close and depending on other conditions, may not be able to get full power
            from the fixture.

            Regards,
            Bradford Chaucer
            bradford.chaucer@...
          • lambrechts
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2 4:07 AM
              Hi,

              thanks for your answer. I guess it will be alright then, since the bulb is
              giving good amounts off light.
              I'm just glad my worries were for nothing.

              greetings Denny