A. roquet roquet?

  • mhartley@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 1998
      Last time I checked, no one in the US was keeping this anole. Is this
      still true? And for those in Europe who do, where did you get them? Is
      there a longstanding CB population there?
      TIA,
      Melody
    • Bradford Chaucer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 1998
        At 10:10 AM 8/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
        >From: mhartley@...
        >
        >Last time I checked, no one in the US was keeping this anole. Is this
        >still true? And for those in Europe who do, where did you get them? Is
        >there a longstanding CB population there?
        >TIA,
        >Melody

        They have appeared periodically. I have tried to keep them without success.
        I find them to be rather intolerant of varying conditions. They seem to
        need higher humidity than many other anoles. Also I suspect that what does
        appear is rather beat up in the importtation and shipping process.

        Regards,
        Bradford Chaucer
        BChaucer@...
      • Zainal L. Haberham
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 1998
          At 10:10 01/08/1998 -0700, you wrote:
          >From: mhartley@...
          >
          >Last time I checked, no one in the US was keeping this anole. Is this
          >still true? And for those in Europe who do, where did you get them? Is
          >there a longstanding CB population there?
          >TIA,

          Melody,
          I wouldn't be surprised if roquet was the third most kept sp. in this
          country (after carolinensis and sagrei, but there are probably more roquet
          than equestris, for instance). The most often kept form is A.r. summus
          though, although occasionally you'll see A.r.roquet that are passed on as
          A.r. summus. Furthermore, there are probably a lot of intergrades around as
          well, since (especially in females) differences can be hard to tell.
          There are several longstanding CB populations of some ssp. (mostly in
          Germany), and occasionally small imports are available.

          BTW, I noticed Glades is selling some of the weirder introduced sp. from
          Florida again, including A. cristatellus and A. cybotes.

          Zainal L. Haberham, Anole hobbyist & neuro-electrophysiologist
          Majubastraat 87, NL-1092 KE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
          E-mail: palardis@...
          Knight anole home page: www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/4489/anolis.htm
          Please use the following address when sending large attachments:
          haberham@...
        • Bradford Chaucer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 1998
            At 12:51 AM 8/2/98 +0200, you wrote:

            >BTW, I noticed Glades is selling some of the weirder introduced sp. from
            >Florida again, including A. cristatellus and A. cybotes.

            He catches them locally himself. His Mother has a colony of cristatellus
            living on her property - Oh to live in Florida if it wasn't so dammed hot
            and humid!!!

            Regards,
            Bradford Chaucer
            BChaucer@...
          • Zainal L. Haberham
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 1998
              At 17:29 01/08/1998 -0400, you wrote:
              >From: Bradford Chaucer <BChaucer@...>
              >They have appeared periodically. I have tried to keep them without success.
              >I find them to be rather intolerant of varying conditions. They seem to
              >need higher humidity than many other anoles.

              Yes, A.r.roquet and especially A.r. summus require high humidity.
              A.r.roquet can in fact tolerate rather varying conditions, but A.r. summus
              requires a constant humidity close to saturation.
              In contrast, some other ssp. like A.r.salinei and A.r. zebrilus are from
              highly dry areas, and require hot, dry, very well lit terraria.