drosophila virilis

  • ntmanwaring9
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2000
      I recently began culturing this species of fruitfly to feed to my
      anoles. In the past I have cultured D. melanogaster (flightless) and D.
      hydei (flightless). The D. virilis are able to fly, but you can slow them
      down enough by placing the culture in the refrigerator for a few minutes to
      allow you to shake them out and dust them.

      The are about 5X the mass of D. melanogaster and are much more prolific
      than D. hydei. The culture buzzes when you pick it up. I had everybody
      feeding on them almost immediately and the wings are big enough that they
      can't really make it through a fine mesh screen.

      Nathan