Hatchlings.

  • NTM
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 1998
      What is the consensus on the list about when to start crickets with young
      Anolis. As most of you are aware, a cricket can be almost as formidable a
      predator as it is a prey item depending on the relative size of the animal.

      My baby A. lucius can take 1/4" crickets with no problem, but the allisoni
      are small when they hatch and so I have been feeding them D. hydei up to
      now, although I have started feeding the 1/4" to my 6 oldest allisoni.

      I would not advise feeding waxworms (even the tiny ones) as Anolis often
      have trouble swallowing and digesting them.

      Nathan Manwaring
    • Zainal L. Haberham
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 1998
        At 15:13 01/06/98 -0400, you wrote:
        >From: NTM <nmanwari@...>
        >

        >What is the consensus on the list about when to start crickets with young
        >Anolis.

        I think Thomas pretty well said it...hatchling crickets are smaller than D.
        hydei. In my experience, however, the movement patterns (or the body shape,
        whatever) of the flies appeal more to the lizards than the movements of the
        crickets.

        >I would not advise feeding waxworms (even the tiny ones) as Anolis often
        >have trouble swallowing and digesting them.

        I haven't observed those problems (but then again, most of my hatchlings
        are probably already larger than many of your adults). The main problem I
        have experienced with waxworms is that it can be nearly impossible to get a
        lizard to eat something else after they have tasted waxworms.
        Zainal L. Haberham, MSc
        Dept. of Laboratory Animal Science
        Div. Anesthesiology
        Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
        Utrecht University
        PO box 80166, NL-3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
        Phone: (31) 30 253 3500
        Fax: (31) 30 253 7997
        E-mail: z.l.haberham@...