I need help fast!!!!!

  • Molly4616@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
      I just had my 1st baby green anole!!!!!! It is only 2 1/4 inches long right
      now. It is sooo small and delicate, I feel so accomplished! Any one else
      on the list that breeds their anoles knows how I feel right now. It is my
      1st hatchling and I have no idea what so ever of what to feed it besides
      fruit flies? I can't get those for several days though:( Will it be ok
      until then? I live in ohio what can I feed it around here? Any other advice
      will be very appreciated!! I currently have it in a 1/2 gallon jug until I
      can get a small tank. It has a few oak leaves in with it and the stems too.
      Plenty for it to climb. how can I feed it and what and also how and how much
      should I water it? Please reply fast b/c i' going nuts not being able to
      helpp it and know what to do. Thanks again
      Jarrod Beers
    • Andreas Hungerbuehler
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hi Jarrod,

        Congratulations to your first baby-anole!

        How many days will it take to get some fruit flies? If this are only one or
        two days - no matter! Normaly, hatchlings don't start to eat before then
        at anyway.
        But after then, it's realy important that they get offered food
        permanently. The best would be, if you can give the food two or tree times
        a day, just always in small amounts per time.
        So if it thakes more time until you'll get some fruit flies, you can try to
        catch them by yourself. It's not a lot of work.
        I do know two possibilities to do that: First you need a fine meshed net.
        You can buy such one in every pet shop. Such one which is also used for
        catching fishes out of their tank will also suit for that. But with a bit
        of wire and an old nylon sock, you can construct a similar tool.

        The more efficient way is, when you just pull the net, verry close, over a
        meadow (be shure that the grassland is not treated by any chemicals and
        it's away of any roads!) for several times. After this you'll find a lot of
        small insects in your net (maybe also others than fruitflies). You can feed
        all of them to your little anole.

        The other possibilitie is to place a plate, whith some fruits on it,
        somewhere outside of your house. After a while, you'll find some fruit
        flies on the fruits which have been decoyed by the sweet smell of those
        fruits (it's good when you crush them a little bit before) . Therefore i
        think, peaches are some of the best baits to get good results. But you also
        can use any other kind of fruits. It's even better, if the fruits are
        allready a bit overripe. Such fruits seems to smell more attractive to the
        flies. When a couple of flies has arrived, you can catch them by your net.
        It would be great if you could powder the insects first with a vitamine and
        calzium containing preparate. That's realy important for the growth and
        healtyness of your little anole.

        Hope this helps a bit....

        Grettings and good luck!
        Andi

        >From: Molly4616@...
        >
        >I just had my 1st baby green anole!!!!!! It is only 2 1/4 inches long right
        >now. It is sooo small and delicate, I feel so accomplished! Any one else
        >on the list that breeds their anoles knows how I feel right now. It is my
        >1st hatchling and I have no idea what so ever of what to feed it besides
        >fruit flies? I can't get those for several days though:( Will it be ok
        >until then? I live in ohio what can I feed it around here? Any other advice
        >will be very appreciated!! I currently have it in a 1/2 gallon jug until I
        >can get a small tank. It has a few oak leaves in with it and the stems too.
        >Plenty for it to climb. how can I feed it and what and also how and how much
        >should I water it? Please reply fast b/c i' going nuts not being able to
        >helpp it and know what to do. Thanks again
        > Jarrod Beers

        >ONElist: the best source for group communications.
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >Join a new list today!

      • Frank Jaeger
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 1999
          Congratulations, Jarrod!

          >I just had my 1st baby green anole!!!!!! It is only 2 1/4 inches long
          right
          >now. It is sooo small and delicate, I feel so accomplished! Any one else
          >on the list that breeds their anoles knows how I feel right now. It is my
          >1st hatchling and I have no idea what so ever of what to feed it besides
          >fruit flies? I can't get those for several days though:( Will it be ok
          >until then? I live in ohio what can I feed it around here? Any other
          >advice
          >will be very appreciated!! I currently have it in a 1/2 gallon jug until I
          >can get a small tank. It has a few oak leaves in with it and the stems
          too.
          >Plenty for it to climb. how can I feed it and what and also how and how
          >much
          >should I water it? Please reply fast b/c i' going nuts not being able to
          >helpp it and know what to do. Thanks again
          > Jarrod Beers

          Here is some gereral advice:
          Use a small tank (I know, you wrote you get one). Reason is, they can
          find the food easier. Out of the same reason do not put too much in
          the tank. I have a 10 day old Anolis Sagrei (about 1,5 inches long, you
          have to look hard to see it) and the tank is like this:

          8 inches by 10 inches with a height of about 13 inches. The interior
          consists out of scarce ground material which I have to describe since
          I am lacking the english name: it is small pieces from the exterior
          'skin' of trees, dried. Additionally, there is a small plant in a plastic
          pot with a dish under it. The plant only has four leaves about twice
          as long as the Anolis. Last but not least two Bamboo sticks make it
          possible for the little bugger to climb up to the heat (sagrei love it
          really warm).

          This makes it easy for you to spot him (and you would want that
          more often than you think, and you should watch him carefully).

          Regarding food: Did you ever hear the word 'meadow plankton'?
          That is all kinds of small insects you can catch outside. If you find
          grass somewhere, just take a net and pull it through - you will have
          plenty of food for your Anolis. Just take out everything that looks
          like it could sting, that has long hairs or that are known predators,
          and still you will have enough left. That food makes an excellent
          diet, much better that the fruit flies, which basically have only
          minimal nutrition value. Wild caught animals do not be powdered
          in any vitamin, too (although: once per week I would recommend
          doing it anyway, especially if the Anolis does not receive ultraviolett
          light - they need that to generate vitamin D3, which is included
          in most vitamin powders in healthy measures - so it is either UV
          or powder, but one is a must for a healthy development).
          There are liquid vitamins as well that you can add to the water.

          Warning: Make sure the insects you catch are from an area where
          no insectizides or pesticides were used - that could kill the animal
          within minutes!

          Talking about water: just spray once a day and offer water in a
          dish. That shoudl be small enough so that the animal cannot
          drown. You know the plastic bottles from Coke? Use the cap!

          Have fun, and good luck!

          Frank.
        • Molly4616@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 1999
            Thanks for the fast response from all of you!! I put some of the baby food
            mixture I feed my young Giant Day Gecko too. It doesn't seem interested
            though:( I'll try the fruit fly culture thing and go out and see if I can
            round up some little bugs for it too. I know the perfect place. No
            pesticides b/c it's my uncles farm and he doesn't use any. I'll keep all of
            you updated. Thanks again!

            Jarrod Beers
            PS It's going to be at lest 3-4 days before I get the flies so I
            better find something until then.
          • Mabel Higgins
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 1999
              Hello Jarrod and Congrats!
              I have a couple care sheets that suggest pinhead crickets for newborns
              (baby crickets which you can buy at many petstores.)
              Have you tried baby food for him/her? if so did she like it?
              Peach works great!
              I'd have to agree with the net method! When I have brushed my net along
              the grass, I got tens of little bugs, mainly midges or knats.
              Darcy
            • Zainal L. Haberham
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 1999
                At 23:02 01/07/99 EDT, you wrote:
                >From: Molly4616@...
                >
                >I just had my 1st baby green anole!!!!!! It is only 2 1/4 inches long right
                >now. It is sooo small and delicate, I feel so accomplished! Any one else
                >on the list that breeds their anoles knows how I feel right now. It is my
                >1st hatchling and I have no idea what so ever of what to feed it besides
                >fruit flies? I can't get those for several days though:( Will it be ok
                >until then?

                Hi jarrod, congrats.
                Well, won't repeat what the other already said about the wild-caught food
                (YES, do it!), but anyway, you really shouldn't worry about not having food
                for the first couple of days. The baby will first resorb the remainder of
                the egg yolk still present in its belly, and it will actually be
                intimidated if you start throwing all kinds of bugs in its tank right now.
                One source of food which is very suitably sized and easy to get is
                aphids....these also have the advantage that they do move around a bit, but
                aren's so hectic as many other bugs. The only problem is that they are
                usually firmly attached to leaves and stems and such...a good way of
                getting them off is simply putting the leaf or whatever they're on in the
                container you have the anole in. As soon as the leaf starts drying out, the
                aphids will let go of it and start wandering about the place looking for
                some other plant to suck on. In the mean while, the baby can hunt them down.
                As you probably know, ladybugs (or is it ladybirds..) are prime aphid
                hunters. So in case you can't find any aphids, try looking for
                ladybugs...you're bound to find aphids where they are.
                Zainal L. Haberham
                Dept. Laboratory Animal Science, div. anaesthesiology
                Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University
                PO Box 80.166, NL-3508TD, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
                E-mail: haberham@.../palardis@...
                Private: NL-1092KE\87, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

                http://greenfield.fortunecity.com/drongo/177/pix.htm