Anolis onca

  • Lisa Finch
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 28, 1998
      Anyone out there have any information about A.onca? Any input on
      husbandry,breeding, natural history would be greatly appreciated as I have
      just received a trio and aside from the write up in Wijffels book, which I
      can't read, I cannot find any information about them.
      Joel
      lfinch@...
    • Zainal L. Haberham <z.l.haberham@xxxx
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 31, 1998
        Joel,
        Lacking any personal experience with A. onca, I translated the bit from the
        Fl&W book. Hope it helps. Here goes:

        "ANOLIS ONCA

        Anolis onca is a relatively robust anole species, with a snout-to-vent
        length up to 75 mm (total length up to about 230 mm).
        The basal coloration of both sexes is grey to grey brown with white and
        dark, partly also green, markings. Females have a more distinct dorsal
        pattern consisting of triangular patterns. A. onca is perfectly adapted to
        its biotope, due to its cryptic coloration. The large dewlap of both sexes
        is wine red to red, with yellow scales. As a distinct feature, A. onca
        lacks the typical adhesive pads under the toes. Multiple-keeled scales take
        the place of these pads. On account of this feature, A. onca had long been
        separated from the genus Anolis under the monotypical genus name
        "Tropidodactylus".
        Geographical distribution:
        The animals live along the coast of Venezuela, as well as in the
        north-eastern parts of Colombia, and the Isla Margarita.
        Habitat and behavior: Anolis onca prefers coastal areas with xerophytic
        beach vegetation. On account of its more terrestrial lifestyle, the animals
        are usually found in low shrubs not taller than 1 metre, in Cactus or
        Ipomoea pescaprae plants. Although the anoles are unskilled climbers, they
        prefer a high resting place, e.g. in the beach vegetation, to avoid the
        extreme heat of the day. They flee over the ground. Collins (1972) mentions
        grasshoppers, beetles, spiders and flies as food.
        Breeding:
        Nothing is known about breeding of this species. In the wild, young
        animals are exclusively found in spring, so that breeding season probably
        correlates with the rainy season and the accompanying higher food
        availability.
        In the vivarium it was observed how a female glued an egg to a cork wall,
        at a height of about 30 cm over the substrate.
        Husbandry:
        In order to accommodate A. onca, a dry vivarium that is wider than high is
        recommended. An intense lighting (HQI-lights), as well as an additional
        basking light, warming a spot in the tank to about 40 deg. C., are
        necessary. The sand substrate should be kept moist in one corner of the
        tank. Dry branches and cork slabs complete the decoration. During hot
        weather, it is recommended to keep the animals in outdoor enclosures."

        (translated from german; A. Flaeschendraeger & L.C.M. Wijffels (1996):
        ANOLIS. Natur und Tier Verlag, Muenster, Germany).

        Joel wrote:
        >Anyone out there have any information about A.onca? Any input on
        >husbandry,breeding, natural history would be greatly appreciated as I have
        >just received a trio and aside from the write up in Wijffels book, which I
        >can't read, I cannot find any information about them.

        Zainal L. Haberham, MSc
        Dept. of Laboratory Animal Science
        Div. Anesthesiology
        Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
        Utrecht University
        PO box 80166, NL-3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
        Phone: (31) 30 253 3500
        Fax: (31) 30 253 7997
        E-mail: z.l.haberham@...
      • mhartley@ix.netcom.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 27, 1998
          Hi all,
          Mike at Glades Herp tells me that they have 2.2 Anolis onca, from
          Europe, SVL 4", males bigger than females, brown with a bark-like
          pattern, "very attractive", $55 each. Anyone know more about this
          species? I couldn't find much in books or on the web except that they
          come from Columbia/N. Venezuela. I'm not likely to get them, I have too
          much else going on right now, but I'm curious.
          Tnanks,
          Melody
        • mhartley@xx.xxxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 28, 1998
            Thanks Thomas for all the info! I hope the English translation of this
            book comes out soon. No, I won't be getting them. I do things kinda
            backwards -- I like setting up vertical, rainforest-type tanks, so I go
            for species from that type of environment. Plus, we just found out that
            my husband has to have major surgery ASAP :-(

            I have enjoyed the pix on the web page, thanks to those who made that
            possible!

            Re: Cuba and porcatus -- In my conversation with Mike at Glades he did
            say he'd seen some mighty big carolinensis. The influx of humans from
            Cuba into Florida has not been legal either, yet look at the volume!
            Quite a few little green lizards might have hitched a ride...

            Melody
          • Lisa Finch
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 18, 2000
              If anyone out there on the list is interested in obtaining some Anolis
              onca, please contact me. I have quite a few of all ages, both sexes.
              Contact me at lfinch@...

              Thanks, Joel
            • Bradford Chaucer
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 18, 2000
                At 08:46 PM 1/18/2000 -0800, you wrote:
                >From: Lisa Finch <lfinch@...>
                >
                >If anyone out there on the list is interested in obtaining some Anolis
                >onca, please contact me. I have quite a few of all ages, both sexes.
                >Contact me at lfinch@...
                >
                >Thanks, Joel

                I am interested in 1.2 if you can ship them. I am in Connecticut.

                Regards,
                Bradford Chaucer
                BChaucer@...
              • Soeren Lange
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 25, 2003
                  Hello,
                  who has Anolis onca?
                  Im looking for 0,1.
                  Thanks, Sören

                  Mail to
                  Die Seite über Krötenechsen
                • Frank Jaeger
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 25, 2003
                    Re: [anole] Anolis onca Hallo Soeren,

                    soweit ich weiss, hat niemand im Augenblick Anolis onca. Jedenfalls ist mir keiner von Seiten der ACG bekannt.

                    Sorry,
                    Frank.

                    Von: "Soeren Lange" <phrynosom@...>
                    Antworten an: anole@yahoogroups.com
                    Datum: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:45:05 +0100
                    An: <anole@yahoogroups.com>
                    Betreff: [anole] Anolis onca

                    Hello,
                    who has Anolis onca?
                    Im looking for 0,1.
                    Thanks, Sören

                    Mail to
                    phrynosom@...
                    Die Seite über Krötenechsen
                    http://people.freenet.de/phrynosoma/

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Soeren Lange
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 28, 2003
                      Re: [anole] Anolis onca
                      Hallo Frank.
                      Danke für die Antwort,
                      Schade, dass sie keiner hat.
                      Die ACG ist irgendwie nicht so der Renner, oder?
                      Was für Tiere hast du denn?
                      MfG Sören

                      Von: "Soeren Lange" <phrynosom@...>
                      Antworten an: anole@yahoogroups.com
                      Datum: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:45:05 +0100
                      An: <anole@yahoogroups.com>

                      Hello,
                      who has Anolis onca?
                      Im looking for 0,1.
                      Thanks, Sören

                      Mail to
                      phrynosom@...

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 28, 2003
                        Re: AW: [anole] Anolis onca Hi Soeren,

                        das kommt drauf an, was man erwartet. Die ACG ist nichts anderes als eine Kommunikationsplattform, versteht sich nicht als Verein, Club oder sonstiges, und hat auch keine weiteren Ziele als Erfahrungsaustausch und Kontaktforum zu sein fuer Halter und das Wissen ueber die Haltung der Tiere in Gefangenschaft und Natur zu mehren. Bei der geringen Zahl an Anolis-Interessierten (und selbst davon sind mehr als die Haelfte solche, die zufaellig irgendwo einen carolinensis gekauft und zu ihren Bartagamen gesetzt haben und die ihn nicht mehr finden koennen) und der hohen Zahl an Anolis-Arten kann man gar nicht erwarten, dass alle Arten irgendwo gehalten werden. Immerhin haben wir Fotos auf der Seite, und das ist auch schon was, oder? Aber du kannst ja mal nach Isla Margerita fliegen und welche mitbringen, ich nehme auch welche ;-)

                        Ich halte angusticeps, bahorucoensis, roquet summus (+), marmoratus marmoratus (+), sabanus (+), oculatus winstoni (+), ophiolepis, bicaorum (Studbook Program, geleitet von Piet van Beest), schwartzi, krugi und barbouri. Ausserdem Phelsumen, Sphaerodactylus und neuerdings Uta stansburiana. (von den Tieren mit (+) habe ich augenblicklich Nachzuchten abzugeben ;-)).

                        Tschuess
                        Frank.

                        Von: "Soeren Lange" <phrynosom@...>
                        Antworten an: anole@yahoogroups.com
                        Datum: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:45:05 +0100
                        An: <anole@yahoogroups.com>

                        Hello,
                        who has Anolis onca?
                        Im looking for 0,1.
                        Thanks, Sören

                        Mail to
                        phrynosom@...
                        Die Seite über Krötenechsen
                        http://people.freenet.de/phrynosoma/

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Yann Horstink
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 28, 2003
                          Hi Frank,

                          which Sphaerodactylus sp. do you keep? One of the beautifull
                          caribbean?

                          ~Yann
                        • Frank Jaeger
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 28, 2003
                            Hi Yann,

                            I have 3 sphaero elegans, I think all female, 1 s. altavelensis lucius
                            female and a macrolepis spanius female. Yes, I know, males would be a real
                            good idea...

                            Looks like I have to go to Puerto Rico again to find some spanius - the
                            species is really beautiful, and rather big. See attached pic.

                            Wann go and catch some with me? ;-)

                            Frank.

                            > Von: "Yann Horstink" <yann_horstink@...>
                            > Antworten an: anole@yahoogroups.com
                            > Datum: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:15:31 -0000
                            > An: anole@yahoogroups.com
                            > Betreff: Re: [anole] Anolis onca
                            >
                            > Hi Frank,
                            >
                            > which Sphaerodactylus sp. do you keep? One of the beautifull
                            > caribbean?
                            >
                            > ~Yann

                          • Yann Horstink
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 28, 2003
                              Beautifull gekko, that S. macrolepis spanius. How do you keep this
                              little creatures? Separated? Or can S. macrolepis also be combined
                              with verry small Anolis, since the can reach 35 mm in SVL.

                              Peurto Rico would be nice, indeed. Otherwise I would love joining the
                              trip to Hispaniola to catch the S. altavelensis. You mentioned the
                              ssp lucius? Is it a newer ssp., or is it lucioi, from the north of
                              Haiti (like Schwartz en Henderson dicribe in Amphibians and Reptiles
                              of the West indies)?

                              Still prefer to see S. fantasticus. A. marmoratus would be nice to
                              ofcourse :)

                              ~Yann

                              > I have 3 sphaero elegans, I think all female, 1 s. altavelensis
                              lucius
                              > female and a macrolepis spanius female. Yes, I know, males would be
                              a real
                              > good idea...
                              >
                              > Looks like I have to go to Puerto Rico again to find some spanius -
                              the
                              > species is really beautiful, and rather big. See attached pic.
                              >
                              > Wann go and catch some with me? ;-)
                              >
                              > Frank.
                            • Frank Jaeger
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 30, 2003
                                Hi Yann,

                                you are right, it is lucioi. Typing error, mistaking the name for the Anole,
                                so it sounded right somehow ;-)

                                I keep the sphaeros separated. It might be that you could kep them with
                                Anoles, but most anoles like a lizard snack, so it might be not the best of
                                ideas.

                                And now: Attention, Advertising ;-):

                                If you want to see more pics of Sphaeros, come to the international gecko
                                keeper's convention, June 7 and 8, area of Hannover and Hildesheim, Germany.
                                More infos: www.nephrurus.org
                                I will give alecture on our trip to PR and show the Sphaeros we found. Also,
                                Father Sanchez provided me with some pics of species we missed (gaigeae,
                                macrolepis mimetes, roosevelti).

                                Frank.

                                > Von: "Yann Horstink" <yann_horstink@...>
                                > Antworten an: anole@yahoogroups.com
                                > Datum: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:36:20 -0000
                                > An: anole@yahoogroups.com
                                > Betreff: [anole] Re: Anolis onca
                                >
                                > Beautifull gekko, that S. macrolepis spanius. How do you keep this
                                > little creatures? Separated? Or can S. macrolepis also be combined
                                > with verry small Anolis, since the can reach 35 mm in SVL.
                                >
                                > Peurto Rico would be nice, indeed. Otherwise I would love joining the
                                > trip to Hispaniola to catch the S. altavelensis. You mentioned the
                                > ssp lucius? Is it a newer ssp., or is it lucioi, from the north of
                                > Haiti (like Schwartz en Henderson dicribe in Amphibians and Reptiles
                                > of the West indies)?
                                >
                                > Still prefer to see S. fantasticus. A. marmoratus would be nice to
                                > ofcourse :)
                                >
                                > ~Yann
                                >

                                >> I have 3 sphaero elegans, I think all female, 1 s. altavelensis
                                > lucius
                                >> female and a macrolepis spanius female. Yes, I know, males would be
                                > a real
                                >> good idea...
                                >>
                                >> Looks like I have to go to Puerto Rico again to find some spanius -
                                > the
                                >> species is really beautiful, and rather big. See attached pic.
                                >>
                                >> Wann go and catch some with me? ;-)
                                >>
                                >> Frank.

                              • Yann Horstink
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                                  > I keep the sphaeros separated. It might be that you could kep them
                                  with
                                  > Anoles, but most anoles like a lizard snack, so it might be not the
                                  best of
                                  > ideas.

                                  Probably not since Anolis can swallow big preys (I just read that
                                  Anolis garmani eat adult Anolis lineatopus). What are their
                                  messurements of their tanks?

                                  > And now: Attention, Advertising ;-):
                                  >
                                  > If you want to see more pics of Sphaeros, come to the international
                                  gecko
                                  > keeper's convention, June 7 and 8, area of Hannover and Hildesheim,
                                  Germany.
                                  > More infos: www.nephrurus.org
                                  > I will give alecture on our trip to PR and show the Sphaeros we
                                  found. Also,
                                  > Father Sanchez provided me with some pics of species we missed
                                  (gaigeae,
                                  > macrolepis mimetes, roosevelti).

                                  Sounds great. Unfortunately everthing is in German, isen't? Probably
                                  I will understand only the half of it. German isen't my "favourite
                                  languages" :)

                                  ~Yann
                                • Frank Jaeger
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                                    > Probably not since Anolis can swallow big preys (I just read that
                                    > Anolis garmani eat adult Anolis lineatopus). What are their
                                    > messurements of their tanks?

                                    20 x 20 x 30 cm for a single specimen.

                                    >> And now: Attention, Advertising ;-):
                                    >>
                                    >> If you want to see more pics of Sphaeros, come to the international
                                    > gecko
                                    >> keeper's convention, June 7 and 8, area of Hannover and Hildesheim,
                                    > Germany.
                                    >> More infos: www.nephrurus.org
                                    >> I will give alecture on our trip to PR and show the Sphaeros we
                                    > found. Also,
                                    >> Father Sanchez provided me with some pics of species we missed
                                    > (gaigeae,
                                    >> macrolepis mimetes, roosevelti).
                                    >>

                                    > Sounds great. Unfortunately everthing is in German, isen't? Probably
                                    > I will understand only the half of it. German isen't my "favourite
                                    > languages" :)

                                    Actually, no. Several lectures will be translated into english, and some are
                                    ven held in english. My one will definitely be bilingual in picture and
                                    spoken word. (the program is provided in english, too, and we normally have
                                    a few guests from the US, Russia, Belgium, Netherlands and France.)

                                    Frank.
                                  • Yann Horstink
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                                      > 20 x 20 x 30 cm for a single specimen.

                                      Btw are the little creatures as territorial as Anolis (since you keep
                                      them separated)?

                                      > >> And now: Attention, Advertising ;-):
                                      > >>
                                      > >> If you want to see more pics of Sphaeros, come to the
                                      international
                                      > > gecko
                                      > >> keeper's convention, June 7 and 8, area of Hannover and
                                      Hildesheim,
                                      > > Germany.
                                      > >> More infos: www.nephrurus.org
                                      > >> I will give alecture on our trip to PR and show the Sphaeros we
                                      > > found. Also,
                                      > >> Father Sanchez provided me with some pics of species we missed
                                      > > (gaigeae,
                                      > >> macrolepis mimetes, roosevelti).
                                      > >>

                                      > > Sounds great. Unfortunately everthing is in German, isen't?
                                      Probably
                                      > > I will understand only the half of it. German isen't my "favourite
                                      > > languages" :)
                                      >
                                      > Actually, no. Several lectures will be translated into english, and
                                      some are
                                      > ven held in english. My one will definitely be bilingual in picture
                                      and
                                      > spoken word. (the program is provided in english, too, and we
                                      normally have
                                      > a few guests from the US, Russia, Belgium, Netherlands and France.)

                                      Interesting. Perhaps I could look if anybody would join me (and if I
                                      can get free for that period..).

                                      ~Yann
                                    • lambrechts
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                                        > >> And now: Attention, Advertising ;-):

                                        > international
                                        > > > gecko
                                        > Hildesheim,
                                        > > > Germany.

                                        haha. I was planning on visiting that one.. Nice to hear you will keep a
                                        lecture there..
                                        is anyone else going ??

                                        denny
                                      • N i c o l e R u s s e l l
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003

                                          a little too far ...I'm in NYC...can anyone give me a ride? :)

                                           lambrechts <lambrechts.1@...> wrote:

                                          is anyone else going ??

                                          Ni[oLe RuSSeLL

                                          "....is to decide what we will do with the time that is given...."

                                          Gandalf

                                          Do you Yahoo!?

                                        • Frank Jaeger
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003

                                            > Btw are the little creatures as territorial as Anolis (since you keep
                                            > them separated)?

                                            I do not know yet - I only have females, I think. I only keep them sep
                                            because it is different species.

                                            > Interesting. Perhaps I could look if anybody would join me (and if I
                                            > can get free for that period..).

                                            Try - it is a nice get together with interesting lectures (at least if you
                                            like geckos).

                                            Frank.
                                          • Yann Horstink
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                              > Try - it is a nice get together with interesting lectures (at least
                                              if you
                                              > like geckos).

                                              Geckos are, expecially Sphaerodactlys are great. Mainly because their
                                              size and diversity. There are plenty of other geckos that I like
                                              (Uroplatus, Phelsuma, Gonatodus, Celeonyx and all kind of others...),
                                              so I do not think that I will annoy myself.

                                              Denny, what was your plan. Visiting both days, stay their the
                                              weekend, or drive back...?

                                              I like to go.

                                              ~Yann