Re: Announcements: New fic and ATW info

  • Annie
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 15, 2007
      Morvana, (ack, I feel terrible for flooding everyone's inboxes with my
      consecutive messages >.<)

      Mrs Bennet is hilarious! IThe relationship between her and her husband
      is brilliant. But my favourite character in P&P is most definitely Mr
      Darcy (which probably doesn't come as a surprise, considering my
      obsession with Draco, who's pretty much a slightly more psychotic,
      evil version of Darcy). I've only see the 1995 and 2005 screen
      versions, but I'll definitely check out the 1980 one.

      I really haven't a clue what genre I'd write if I were to start
      original fiction. I'd probably dabble a bit in fantasy, but the thing
      is, it's difficult to write a unique fantasy story when there are so
      many amazing classics out there (Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the
      Rings, Harry Potter, etc.). I guess I'll just go wherever inspiration
      takes me.

      - Annie

      --- In anniesfanfiction@yahoogroups.com, "morvana_dumiruvor"
      <morvana_dumiruvor@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > have no personality. Eowyn and Arwen didn't have ANY personality
      > until Peter Jackson gave them their personality. Anyway, Austen's
      > immortal writing also transfers easily into other societies. The
      > Indian version, Bride & Prejudice, is one of my favorite movies ever,
      > just because it takes the characters and keeps them very real and very
      > Austen-ic. I think Dickens is very similar. He's pretty good with
      > characters.
      >
      > I can definitely tell the difference between SS and ATW. If you ever
      > check the reviews, you'll see that I mentioned how I liked SS, but
      > that ATW is written better. SS is not as real and is quite
      > fantastical (and yet, still pulled it off without dazzling the reader
      > too much). It's funny because when I was reading fan fiction off
      > FanFiction.net, I was used to critiquing EVERYTHING, even if I loved
      > it. I haven't critiqued your writing once (which makes me feel very
      > useless, but at the same time relieved since it's not irritating at
      > all). It just goes to show how much better FictionAlley is--being
      > selective is a GOOD thing for readers.
      >
      > As for original fiction, you should let your fans know when you begin
      > writing because I can see that you'd do well. Already your writing is
      > better than some authors I've read (Sarah Dessen and Sara Douglass
      > among them) and I think that you'd do well. If you ever do original
      > fiction, what genre would you do? Young adult? Fantasy? General
      > fiction?
      >
      > Morvana
      >
      > --- In anniesfanfiction@yahoogroups.com, "Annie" <shmexsay@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Morvana,
      > >
      > > You're right; I'm a *huge* Austen fan. I haven't read all her novels
      > > yet, but I adore her style and characters. I've never consciously
      > > drawn inspiration from her works, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it
      > > shows in ATW.
      > >
      > > I'm pleased that you see ATW that way, because I intended for the
      > > story to be more real and grounded than SS. My writing style has
      > > changed a lot since the days of SS; I now find it a lot easier to
      > > write fics like ATW, which have less of a fantastical feel to them.
      > >
      > > As for original fiction, I've thought about it more than once. I guess
      > > the reason why I haven't seriously given it a try yet, though, is that
      > > I feel much safer in the HP world. The world JKR has created is solid
      > > and reliable, and it's something I'm comfortable with. But you're
      > > right; fan fiction is definitely a good lead in to original fiction.
      > > I've kept that in mind ever since I started writing fan fiction.
      > > Someday (hopefully someday soon) I'll gather the courage to make the
      > > leap :P
      > >
      > > - Annie
      > >
      > > --- In anniesfanfiction@yahoogroups.com, "morvana_dumiruvor"
      > > <morvana_dumiruvor@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Annie--
      > > >
      > > > Actually, I have read some of your fics, particularly Sweetest
      Sin. I
      > > > liked that one, although it pales in comparison to ATW. I think
      it's
      > > > because ATW is just so hopelessly <i>real</i>. It's rare that you
      > > > find a fan fiction that portrays changes, falling in love, and
      > > > conflict as well as this one does. What is says to me is that
      you're
      > > > probably an Austen fan--she's probably the best writer in the world
      > > > for the whole conflict thing. I was wondering, also, if you plan to
      > > > write original fiction in the future, to be published? My personal
      > > > opinion is that writing fan fiction is a great preparation for
      writing
      > > > original fiction because not only do you get feedback, but it gives
      > > > one great practice with characters, description, and laughably,
      > > > originality. Iuno, I was just wondering.
      > > >
      > > > Good luck with that epilogue! ^.^

      > good it
      > found

      I was
      > seem to
      > Sweetest
      > same,
      > shouldn't

      > story. It
      > > feel
      > always be
      > choice,
      > brutal, of
      > Depp?
      > still

      > > since
      > > wish. I
      > In all
      > fic that
      > I just

      > > > read the
      > circumstances.
      > > Hermione and
      > > epilogue, so

      > > original is
      > > since
      Don't
      > > > worry,
      > > > I use
      > > > as to

      > > > thing
      > > ending to
      > > like you
      > > > happen, and
      > author
      > written

      > > quite
      > > obligations to
      > > > who are
      > > > what they

      > > > and I
      > > who can

      > definitely
      > yourself and
      > > > to who

      > > obligated to
      > > > characters

    • akna12
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 15, 2007
        hahahaha!!! i LOVE pride and prejudice! its like my fav book!!!
        other than hp of course! mr darcy is a bit like draco now that u
        mention it, but thats okay; hes cool in his own way! i like the old
        better for sooooooo many reasons!!! see ya for now!
        ~dragonlady12

        wrote:

> [...]
        has
        > > > changed a lot since the days of SS; I now find it a lot easier
        > > > write fics like ATW, which have less of a fantastical feel to
        them.

        > > > As for original fiction, I've thought about it more than once.
        I guess
        > > > the reason why I haven't seriously given it a try yet, though,
        is that
        > > > I feel much safer in the HP world. The world JKR has created
        is solid
        > > > and reliable, and it's something I'm comfortable with. But
        you're
        > > > right; fan fiction is definitely a good lead in to original
        fiction.
        > > > I've kept that in mind ever since I started writing fan
        fiction.
        > > > Someday (hopefully someday soon) I'll gather the courage to

      • morvana_dumiruvor
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 16, 2007
          Annie--

          I love Darcy, too. You'll especially like him in the 1980 version.
          The actor really makes him look like a jerk, but when he
          smiles...hehe. He's not all that fabulous looking, and even Wickham
          looks like Ned from School of Rock. Anyway, I definitely thought that
          Draco was very Darcy-like (haha, rearrange the letters, replace the y
          with an o and what do you get?). He was very difficult to like at the
          beginning but he still fell in love with Hermione/Starlight against
          his "better" judgment. Oh how I love it when that happens.

          For original fiction, I've always had difficulty. I like writing
          fantasy a lot, but you're right--originality is really hard. When I
          started reading LotR, I kind of wondered what the fantasy genre was
          like, and I wandered into that and found that Douglass, Marillier, and
          Haydon were some of the best authors I've EVER read. I think fantasy
          is some of the best literature in the world just because if you can
          pull it off, you've done something that many authors have difficult
          with. It's amazing, too, that the genre just keeps getting bigger,
          thanks to authors wanting to do young adult fantasy, like Tamora
          Peirce. Young Adult in itself is a widening genre. I LOVE Sarah
          Dessen, just because her books have the kinds of day to day philosophy
          that we teenagers so often miss if we don't think about it on our own
          accord. Plus she's really good at writing first person which is
          REALLY difficult. Iuno if you've ever seen the movie "How To Deal"
          but it's based (very poorly I might add) on two Sarah Dessen books.

          Ta

          Morvana